BJ's Restaurants

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.1

Server Interview

Applied online, was called within the week to go in for an interview ASAP, interviewed the next day and got the job. Started training the next day and was on the floor within a week.

Busser Interview

I applied online. Be sure to completely fill out the twelve pages of questions which have nothing to do with cleaning food off of tables. This is one of the stricter restaurants for which I have worked. Also they are so profit driven that internal advancement is not a priority.

No negotiation.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in January 2014.

Interviewed with two higher ups. Super nice people overall the process was nice.

Food Server, Food Runner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in January 2014.

Great experience,you think its going to be an organized business at first but its not.You can tell the managers are meglomaniacs and have sex with the employees. Its an OK in between jobs place to work,but dont plan on making a living and paying your rent on time if your a full time foodrunner/server.
    This appears to be a great place but is ran horribly and food runners who close take all the tips home and skim money.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing,as long as you have experience the hiring process is easy and they are so unfair that they are always hiring.   View Answer
    Min wage for food running shifts and $4.91 per hour plus tips for servers

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

I applied online and got a call within ten minutes of submitting the application. They had me come in that day to interview, then I was offered a job by the time I left their hiring center. It was for a new restaurant opening up so the volume of people they needed to hire was larger than average.They asked pretty basic interview questions, you'll get the job as long as you give common sense, 'good service is the most important thing in my life' answers

Interview Questions
    • They asked for an example of the last time you dealt with a difficult customer. That's as difficult as it got.   Answer Question

Server/Takeout Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

3 interviews and all a complete waste of my time. First interview was more of a screening process and asked basic questions, "how do guests perceive you/ what do you think they think of you." 2nd interview was a slap in the face. Guy immediately told me that I don't have enough experience as a server and would I be interested in hostessing. Um no, I'm currently already a server so that is a ridiculous question. Asked me take out questions like which burger do you bring first, medium rare that's been in window for 6 mins or medium well that's been in window for 10 mins. (Answer is the first one). Questioned my references and then called them right in front of me and only because I got a good referral did he offer me a 3rd interview. 3rd interview was a joke as well, Didn't ask me anything about my qualifications and only about my availability. Told me he didn't know what the shifts were like for takeout and didn't know if my school sched would work and he'd have to call me back. 2 hrs later I got an email saying I didn't get the job. Felt like they weren't organized nor did they communicate with one another. I should've been told in my first interview I wasn't being considered for server and I wouldn't have wasted my time with the 2nd or 3rd.

Interview Questions
    • What is the internal temperature of a rare burger and a medium rare burger. That's not my job to know, it's the kitchens. It's a servers job to make sure the rare burger goes to the guest who ordered the rare burger etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in October 2013.

Contacted by phone, meet with a manager and discuss work history, discuss availability, after hired intense training happens. You are given a copy of the menu with descriptions, you follow another server for a few days. You are then tested on the information and passing the test is the only way to get hired.

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

interviewed at BJ's Restaurants in September 2013.

Hired on the spot from coincidentally running into the senior manager at a restaurant that I previously worked at and through my service asked if I've been to BJ's before. I previously applied there online but there was no record of my application when I asked him however he asked me to come in for an interview the next day. Interview was very easy going they weren't asking for much except for emphasizing how it was pivotal you always find something to do which is common for any workplace but that was pretty much the gist of it.

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in August 2013.

I applied here in Lubbock like two weeks ago and I surprisingly got a call when I came back from college for an interview the next day. I showed up and did my interview with two different managers and I got hired somewhat on the spot! I had submit my documents the next week so wish me luck! I would definitely be confident on your answers since the questions are simple, yet more something that they would like to get you know better. The managers were super sweet.

Interview Questions
    • What is the role of a hostess and why would a hostess be important to the company?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BJ's Restaurants in July 2013.

Walked-In and showed general manager the resume, he loved it. There were three interviews, each with a different manager. For me, I secured the job the day I walked in, so it is difficult to know how scrutinous they can be. I can assure that The general manager is extremely sharp, and very capable of making it difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Utter silence. a blank stare. "Tell me your story" was the look, and I was expected to fill the airwaves. It was a shocker   View Answer
    No negotiation.