BJC HealthCare

Updated Mar 20, 2014

Getting the Interview

25 candidate interviews

Training and Development Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in August 2009.

Interview Details – Asked via email to develop a sample. Next, invited to on site interview. It was a combination of 1:1, 1:5, 1:2.

Interview Question – If we hire you, what would be the first thing you would do?   Answer Question

Senior IT Business Analyst Interview

Senior IT Business Analyst
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in October 2009.

Interview Details – Very cordial and friendly

Interview Question – Don't remember   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR within company not willing to negiotate. Maybe due to the state of the job market then. Employers had the leverage!

Senior Recruiter Interview

Senior Recruiter

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – After an initial phone screen, I met with the hiring manager and another recruiter who I would be assisting. They took turns asking me behavioral-based questions about my work history to have me demonstrate how my skills and values fit in with the culture of BJC. There wasn't a lot of time spent on my ability to do the job (they trusted the staffing agency to establish that).

Interview Question – BJC utilizes behavioral-based interviewing. Be prepared to answer their questions with specific scenarios from your work history (i.e. discussing conflicts with employees, demonstrating decision-making skills, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I was a contractor, there was no negotiation. In general, there is somewhat limited room for negotiating salary.

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in March 2010.

Interview Details – It was a traditional panel interview with the hiring manager and a panel of peers.

Interview Question – How do you troubleshoot a WINS problem.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Had to negotiate a permanent offer vs contract to hire.

Manager Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – Applied on several occasions, without contact. Ended up getting solicited by a recruitment firm who got me in front of the hiring managers. The process just took a few weeks.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were around my area of expertise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate; I felt the offer and sign on bonus was generous.

C++/Perl Developer Intern Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in October 2012.

Interview Details – 1 on 1 interview with two project managers. Both wanted me hired, so all that was left was the HR side of the hiring process.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult at all. Both PM's just wanted to see how you think and problem solve   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Standard rate for all interns

Senior IT Analyst Interview

Senior IT Analyst
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – Interviewed originally for consulting position.

Interview Question – Do not remember. Interview was pleasant and not difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation with BJC.

Performance Improvement Consultant Interview

Performance Improvement Consultant
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in December 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview was straight forward. In person interview was with a panel. The lead of the panel referred me to the director. I asked lots of questions in the interview with the director.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when..........   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate very well.

Desktop Support Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in May 2010.

Interview Details – Called to see if I was still interested in the position; set a day and time for face to face interview; was explained the position, followed by scenerios and responses. Approximate time was one hour. Received email stating I was no longer under consideration.

Interview Question – Have you had any experience in training in a classroom setting?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Saint Louis, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in February 2011.

Interview Details – The arrangements for the interview were very concise and clear. Very nice office environment. Met with HR first and found the rep to be very personal and friendly. General questions regarding my current situation were asked and followed by a couple of questions like "give me an example of when you had a situation that turned out poorly and tell me what you learned from it."

The next group had an HR Rep and an employee. They asked several questions like "tell me when you had this experience" with regard to systems, groups worked with, scope of your job, etc. The questions were meant to get an idea of how many people you managed, how large groups were that you worked with and other metrics in your past experience.

The last group consisted of managers. It was the end of the day, the interview schedule had gone past the scheduled time and they appeared tired. They asked similar behavioral questions, similar to the previous group,. They also asked "how" you completed tasks, interacted with people, how you determined priorities. It seemed like they were waiting for a pre-determined answer and I could tell that my responses did not hit the keywords they were searching for.

The interview exceeded the time allowed, so I did not get to ask the questions that I had planned to ask. Each group had a long list of questions and it was evident that they did not allow enough time to get through the list, nor did they allow enough time to probe deeper into some of the questions.

The groups did not describe the position well nor did they describe what they needed in the position; this made it difficult to accurately target responses to show how my experiences would meet their needs. They preferred to ask all of the questions without giving much guidance, waiting for the candidate to say the magic words.

Interview Questions

• What is the largest group that you have worked with?   View Answer
  • Most questions revolved around tell me about a problem that you had, describe the situation, tell me what you did to fix the problem and what was the outcome. There were about 20 questions like this.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for BJC HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!

BJC HealthCare Videos

BJC HealthCare – Why Work for Us?

BJC HealthCare is one of the largest nonprofit health care organizations in the United States, delivering services to residents primarily in the greater St. Louis, southern Illinois and mid-Missouri regions. With net… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BJC HealthCare interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by BJC HealthCare employees and interview candidates.