BJC HealthCare Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2014

2.7

Group Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12 months - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

The interview process took nearly 2 years. It was a new/specialized position in an innovative area charged with standardizing systems and processes across hospitals that had previously been autonomously organized. I talked with people representing business, information technology, methodology and management over about 15 meetings.
    This was an exciting opportunity to establish new project delivery practices in a fast-paced, highly charged, highly visible, and highly valuable work environment.
    <Note that this page does not allow interview processes to take ove 365 days. This one was non-standard and took nearly 2 years.>

Interview Questions
    • What area do you want to focus on? Process improvement, quality management, project management?   View Answer
    The offering was fair for the market. Benefits were solid with matching 401K, and health/dental/vision insurance. Earned time off was below expectations. Negotiated job start date, and a draw on Earned Time Off.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in June 2009.

casual. interviewers were ok.

Interview Questions
    negotiated for $1 more per hour. got it.

Technical Specialist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

The interview was impersonal and unprofessional. The HR recruiter was late and she was very blunt. The first question asked was what it would take for me to convert from a contractor to and FTE. I wrote down a number and was told it will never happen.

Interview Questions
    Hold out if you have skills for the right pay. Do not believe them if they promise career advancement steps at an accelerated rate.

Senior Recruiter Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

After an initial phone screen, I met with the hiring manager and another recruiter who I would be assisting. They took turns asking me behavioral-based questions about my work history to have me demonstrate how my skills and values fit in with the culture of BJC. There wasn't a lot of time spent on my ability to do the job (they trusted the staffing agency to establish that).

Interview Questions
    • BJC utilizes behavioral-based interviewing. Be prepared to answer their questions with specific scenarios from your work history (i.e. discussing conflicts with employees, demonstrating decision-making skills, etc.)   Answer Question
    Since I was a contractor, there was no negotiation. In general, there is somewhat limited room for negotiating salary.

Senior IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interviewed originally for consulting position.

Interview Questions
    • Do not remember. Interview was pleasant and not difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiation with BJC.

C++/Perl Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in October 2012.

1 on 1 interview with two project managers. Both wanted me hired, so all that was left was the HR side of the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult at all. Both PM's just wanted to see how you think and problem solve   Answer Question
    Standard rate for all interns

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Applied on several occasions, without contact. Ended up getting solicited by a recruitment firm who got me in front of the hiring managers. The process just took a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were around my area of expertise.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate; I felt the offer and sign on bonus was generous.

Nursing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Creve Coeur, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Creve Coeur, MO

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in October 2011.

It was a great experience. Very friendly staff and HR was wonderful!

Interview Questions
    • Change you have made in someone's life   View Answer
    • Something you have done wrong in your career?   View Answer

RN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in June 2011.

Different facilities have different processes. There is always a phone interview from corporate HR, then local HR, then 1 on 1 HR with a personalty test. Then there is an interview with the Manager of the department. Then some facilities will have a group interview with different members of the department all represented.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you could have given better care. Why did it happen, and what will you do to avoid this in the future.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, I wish I had. I realized how much less I got than I could have.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in February 2011.

The arrangements for the interview were very concise and clear. Very nice office environment. Met with HR first and found the rep to be very personal and friendly. General questions regarding my current situation were asked and followed by a couple of questions like "give me an example of when you had a situation that turned out poorly and tell me what you learned from it."

The next group had an HR Rep and an employee. They asked several questions like "tell me when you had this experience" with regard to systems, groups worked with, scope of your job, etc. The questions were meant to get an idea of how many people you managed, how large groups were that you worked with and other metrics in your past experience.

The last group consisted of managers. It was the end of the day, the interview schedule had gone past the scheduled time and they appeared tired. They asked similar behavioral questions, similar to the previous group,. They also asked "how" you completed tasks, interacted with people, how you determined priorities. It seemed like they were waiting for a pre-determined answer and I could tell that my responses did not hit the keywords they were searching for.

The interview exceeded the time allowed, so I did not get to ask the questions that I had planned to ask. Each group had a long list of questions and it was evident that they did not allow enough time to get through the list, nor did they allow enough time to probe deeper into some of the questions.

The groups did not describe the position well nor did they describe what they needed in the position; this made it difficult to accurately target responses to show how my experiences would meet their needs. They preferred to ask all of the questions without giving much guidance, waiting for the candidate to say the magic words.

Interview Questions
    • What is the largest group that you have worked with?   View Answer
    • Most questions revolved around tell me about a problem that you had, describe the situation, tell me what you did to fix the problem and what was the outcome. There were about 20 questions like this.   Answer Question