BJC HealthCare

Relevance Date Difficulty

Group Manager Interview

Group Manager
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 12 months - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – The interview process took nearly 2 years. It was a new/specialized position in an innovative area charged with standardizing systems and processes across hospitals that had previously been autonomously organized. I talked with people representing business, information technology, methodology and management over about 15 meetings.
This was an exciting opportunity to establish new project delivery practices in a fast-paced, highly charged, highly visible, and highly valuable work environment.
<Note that this page does not allow interview processes to take ove 365 days. This one was non-standard and took nearly 2 years.>

Interview Question – What area do you want to focus on? Process improvement, quality management, project management?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offering was fair for the market. Benefits were solid with matching 401K, and health/dental/vision insurance. Earned time off was below expectations. Negotiated job start date, and a draw on Earned Time Off.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in June 2009.

Interview Details – casual. interviewers were ok.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected or difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiated for $1 more per hour. got it.

Very Easy Interview

Technical Specialist Interview

Technical Specialist

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – The interview was impersonal and unprofessional. The HR recruiter was late and she was very blunt. The first question asked was what it would take for me to convert from a contractor to and FTE. I wrote down a number and was told it will never happen.

Interview Question – What would it take for you to convert to FTE.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hold out if you have skills for the right pay. Do not believe them if they promise career advancement steps at an accelerated rate.

Senior Recruiter Interview

Senior Recruiter

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – After an initial phone screen, I met with the hiring manager and another recruiter who I would be assisting. They took turns asking me behavioral-based questions about my work history to have me demonstrate how my skills and values fit in with the culture of BJC. There wasn't a lot of time spent on my ability to do the job (they trusted the staffing agency to establish that).

Interview Question – BJC utilizes behavioral-based interviewing. Be prepared to answer their questions with specific scenarios from your work history (i.e. discussing conflicts with employees, demonstrating decision-making skills, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I was a contractor, there was no negotiation. In general, there is somewhat limited room for negotiating salary.

Senior IT Analyst Interview

Senior IT Analyst
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – Interviewed originally for consulting position.

Interview Question – Do not remember. Interview was pleasant and not difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation with BJC.

C++/Perl Developer Intern Interview

C++/Perl Developer Intern
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in October 2012.

Interview Details – 1 on 1 interview with two project managers. Both wanted me hired, so all that was left was the HR side of the hiring process.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult at all. Both PM's just wanted to see how you think and problem solve   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Standard rate for all interns

Manager Interview

Manager
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BJC HealthCare.

Interview Details – Applied on several occasions, without contact. Ended up getting solicited by a recruitment firm who got me in front of the hiring managers. The process just took a few weeks.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were around my area of expertise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate; I felt the offer and sign on bonus was generous.

Very Easy Interview

Nursing Interview

Nursing
Creve Coeur, MO

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was a great experience. Very friendly staff and HR was wonderful!

Interview Questions

RN Interview

RN
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in June 2011.

Interview Details – Different facilities have different processes. There is always a phone interview from corporate HR, then local HR, then 1 on 1 HR with a personalty test. Then there is an interview with the Manager of the department. Then some facilities will have a group interview with different members of the department all represented.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you could have given better care. Why did it happen, and what will you do to avoid this in the future.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, I wish I had. I realized how much less I got than I could have.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Saint Louis, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at BJC HealthCare in February 2011.

Interview Details – The arrangements for the interview were very concise and clear. Very nice office environment. Met with HR first and found the rep to be very personal and friendly. General questions regarding my current situation were asked and followed by a couple of questions like "give me an example of when you had a situation that turned out poorly and tell me what you learned from it."

The next group had an HR Rep and an employee. They asked several questions like "tell me when you had this experience" with regard to systems, groups worked with, scope of your job, etc. The questions were meant to get an idea of how many people you managed, how large groups were that you worked with and other metrics in your past experience.

The last group consisted of managers. It was the end of the day, the interview schedule had gone past the scheduled time and they appeared tired. They asked similar behavioral questions, similar to the previous group,. They also asked "how" you completed tasks, interacted with people, how you determined priorities. It seemed like they were waiting for a pre-determined answer and I could tell that my responses did not hit the keywords they were searching for.

The interview exceeded the time allowed, so I did not get to ask the questions that I had planned to ask. Each group had a long list of questions and it was evident that they did not allow enough time to get through the list, nor did they allow enough time to probe deeper into some of the questions.

The groups did not describe the position well nor did they describe what they needed in the position; this made it difficult to accurately target responses to show how my experiences would meet their needs. They preferred to ask all of the questions without giving much guidance, waiting for the candidate to say the magic words.

Interview Questions

• What is the largest group that you have worked with?   View Answer
  • Most questions revolved around tell me about a problem that you had, describe the situation, tell me what you did to fix the problem and what was the outcome. There were about 20 questions like this.   Answer Question