BKF Engineers

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Civil Engineer I Interview

Redwood City, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BKF Engineers.

Interview Details – I originally came into contact with the HR Rep through a career fair. After our brief discussion he seemed interested in me and let me know he'd contact me for an interview. Even though he jot down something on the back of my resume, I didn't take any chances and sent him a follow-up e-mail letting him know I was excited for that interview.

I received a call about two weeks later for me to come into the HQ and learn more about BKF. During this first interview I sat with the HR Rep and another HR Coordinator where initially we went through my resume. While going through each item on my resume, they would both ask me fairly easy questions about my experience and what I managed to gain from them. Afterwards, I listened to a brief blurb about the work BFK does (I say brief because I had prepared for this interview and they understood I had a fairly good idea of their services). This interview lasted a little under an hour.

Again, about two weeks later I received a call from the HR Rep asking me to come into the office the following day for an interview with an engineer. I was also told to be prepared to discuss Pavement Design. For this interview I sat with the HR Rep and a Project Manager in a conference room. We began by going over certain items on my resume which the PM asked me about. He was very nice and made me feel comfortable during the entire process. After going over the superficial, the technical part of the interview began. He placed a large topography map on the table and began asking analysis-type questions about the site. These were fairly easy questions to answer, however, when I did not know the answer he was very good about asking the question in a different way so as to help me answer it. After having the PM judge my analysis skills we moved on to design. He asked general questions about pavement and highway design by using the same topography map. These questions were a little more difficult since my experience with design is limited, but the questions were not impossible to answer. I found that reading the AASHTO Highway Design Manuel really helped me out here (hint hint). This interview lasted three hours.

~ ~ ~

In the end I was not extended an offer from BFK. After the technical interview I simply didn't hear back from them anymore. Also, I should mention in all the times I met with them, a salary was never discussed (which is probably a good thing if you want to hold that card close to your chest).

Interview Question – The engineer showed me a topography map and asked me to map the trajectory a drop of water would take. The unexpected question I was asked was why that drop of water traveled in such a way.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for BKF Engineers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BKF Engineers Civil Engineer I interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by BKF Engineers employees and interview candidates.