BKF Engineers Interview Questions

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at BKF Engineers

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BKF Engineers (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

The initial interview involved going through my resume. This was an opportunity to share more in depth experiences and duties. Afterward, the HR manager explained about the company and the projects they are involved with.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked during the initial interview were not difficult to answer, and were simply an opportunity to explain further experiences and duties with former employers.   Answer Question

BKF/Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BKF Engineers (Redwood City, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I went in for a first interview. It lasted about two hours. Alex the H.R. coordinator explained the job and tasks at hand very detailed to me to make sure this is what I wanted to do. He was a really nice guy. There were no openings yet but he wanted to get ahead and get the personality interview out of the way. I would say I passed that and if you can carry a conversation and have a sense of humor at times with light jokes, you should be golden.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure this is what you want to do?   1 Answer

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BKF Engineers (Redwood City, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Initially contacted by email for the position. I expressed my interest and HR set up an interview at the main office in Redwood City. Met with HR manager who expressed interest in my qualifications. Next interview was with a few engineers, each one separately. They said they would be contacting me shortly but I never heard back from them. I did send a follow up email expressing my interest.

Interview Questions

• Do you know anything about <insert esoteric calculation>?   1 Answer

Civil Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BKF Engineers (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I originally came into contact with the HR Rep through a career fair. After our brief discussion he seemed interested in me and let me know he'd contact me for an interview. Even though he jot down something on the back of my resume, I didn't take any chances and sent him a follow-up e-mail letting him know I was excited for that interview.

I received a call about two weeks later for me to come into the HQ and learn more about BKF. During this first interview I sat with the HR Rep and another HR Coordinator where initially we went through my resume. While going through each item on my resume, they would both ask me fairly easy questions about my experience and what I managed to gain from them. Afterwards, I listened to a brief blurb about the work BFK does (I say brief because I had prepared for this interview and they understood I had a fairly good idea of their services). This interview lasted a little under an hour.

Again, about two weeks later I received a call from the HR Rep asking me to come into the office the following day for an interview with an engineer. I was also told to be prepared to discuss Pavement Design. For this interview I sat with the HR Rep and a Project Manager in a conference room. We began by going over certain items on my resume which the PM asked me about. He was very nice and made me feel comfortable during the entire process. After going over the superficial, the technical part of the interview began. He placed a large topography map on the table and began asking analysis-type questions about the site. These were fairly easy questions to answer, however, when I did not know the answer he was very good about asking the question in a different way so as to help me answer it. After having the PM judge my analysis skills we moved on to design. He asked general questions about pavement and highway design by using the same topography map. These questions were a little more difficult since my experience with design is limited, but the questions were not impossible to answer. I found that reading the AASHTO Highway Design Manuel really helped me out here (hint hint). This interview lasted three hours.

~ ~ ~

In the end I was not extended an offer from BFK. After the technical interview I simply didn't hear back from them anymore. Also, I should mention in all the times I met with them, a salary was never discussed (which is probably a good thing if you want to hold that card close to your chest).

Interview Questions

• The engineer showed me a topography map and asked me to map the trajectory a drop of water would take. The unexpected question I was asked was why that drop of water traveled in such a way.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BKF Engineers (Redwood City, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

HR manager set appointment and had me come in to Redwood City office. Interview was business casual and about 45 minutes. Many different questions about experience and my road to engineering.I didn't get the job because my autocad experience was limited at the time, but I'm still in touch.

Overall, I got a good impression of BKF and the people I met.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail my favorite project to date. What programs I used, problems I solved, position on the team and overall outcome.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BKF Engineers (Redwood City, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Process was not very formal, HR was not involved in the process

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes i raised my pay by 10%