BMC Software Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

Staff Platform Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BMC Software in January 2015.

Interview started with a phone screen with hiring manager and his direct report, which was pretty awkward at best. it was difficult to tell how was asking questions at times, and the interaction of the two interviewers was contradictory at times, almost akin to good cop/bad cop routine. Typical phone screens I've had with other employers are one on one with just a hiring manager, typically followed up by an on-site interview if the employer feels it is worth the time to bring the candidate in.

The first phone interview was followed up about a week later with two more additional phone interviewers that were one on one with higher management. (three total phone interviews within about two weeks)

Contact to this employer was via referral of employee who had provided info on job months before it was posted. A resume was provided to hiring manager months before the job was posted also. Initial hiring manager feedback was very positive, over several weeks, and right before on site interview, it was cancelled abruptly, with no explanation. HR contact was also hard to reach, and seemed aloof at times in follow-up, (sent emails and no phone contact), but eventually provided feedback that job was filled.

Learned later thru employee referral that the job was filled internally. No explanation provided as to why the feedback changed from very positive to "we cancelled your on-site interview, we already talked to you", basically, have a nice day, don't call us, we won't call you.

I have worked at many companies and was a hiring manager myself for many years, and this has to be the worst interview experience I've ever come across from a major employer. Avoid this company, or at least expect a very unusual interview experience to say the least.

Advice to company: Treat your interviewees with respect and some level of dignity and don't lead them on for weeks and then provide no explanation as to why you were dumped.

Interview Questions
    • Specific questions centered around knowledge of hardware products that would be managed and configured as well as software skills.   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at BMC Software in January 2015.

I had 6 interviews total. One with each manager, recruiter, in-person, and a phone case study. It was a difficult process and you have to study the products bmc offers very well. 1.5 months to complete the interview process and receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, they said the pay was X amount of dollars in the initial call

Enablement Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BMC Software.

normal process, an test to check whether i know about practical job, Job functional Interview, manager interview and HR interview and accepted offer.
    HR interview was very cool no nonsense questions, only manager round was pathetic

Interview Questions
    • how many courses you have designed, what are ID standards, can you learn the product, how you can handle team politics.   View Answer

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Hired through college campus. Interview questions were not too difficult. Asked to show technical skills in programming, database and problem solving. Tested me on pressing scenarios to see how I can manage stressful work with key customers.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer situation where customer is unhappy and does not want to listen to anyone for fixing their problem?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BMC Software in November 2014.

A recruiter messaged me in LinkedIn and set up a phone interview with one of the senior machine learning engineers at BMC. He was in India and hence the call was over skype. He asked a lot of technical questions on machine learning techniques. The questions also included some basic CS questions involving trees. He asked me how do I solve IT change management process using any machine learning algorithm. It was a classic example of a text mining method.

Interview Questions
    • How to automate IT change management using Machine Learning techniques?   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Initial phone call with BMC Software was with a member from HR. Very pleasant to talk to and very informative. Second phone call was a technical interview with an Architect. The Architect asked questions regarding my technical background from different projects. Third interview was a face to face dinner interview with my potential manager. I thought the dinner interview was very unique and I enjoyed it. Fourth interview was with Director and then Fifth was an offer phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Prior knowledge and experience with Service Models and Alias Formulas   Answer Question

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BMC Software in June 2014.

Phone Screen around 1 hr mostly HR will ask about the day to day activities, work related challenges then will ask for tech round which will be phone interview with couple of Tech leads and then Hiring managers will call you if shortlisted for the discussion.

Interview Questions
    • Technical question based on C programming and SQL and very few QA questions   Answer Question

Account Manager (Sales) Interview

Straight forward sales interview

Straigh forward, fast.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at BMC Software.

I was cold-contacted by a recruiter, based on my Linked-in profile. I had several phone interviews, which covered very standard "text-book" technical questions, which I presumed were to test and re-test my knowledge of the technical area. A final phone interview touched on"cultural" aspects and my "pesonal fit" with the company. They made a big deal about fitting in with the company culture. They described it as very open and collaborative (once I was hired, I found it to be very different from what they described. Basically, don;t step out of line. Play the politics. Learn who has the power, and never challenge them. They say they want fresh ideas, but I question if they really do). After phone interviews, I had 2 on-site interivews. First meeting was with peers and direct supervisor. Very short, very general. I felt more like it was a face-to-face just to make sure I was not "wrong" versus an interview to confirm I was "right." The second seriers of on site interivews were with the higher-ups. Thjis was not an interview..it was a sales pitch and and ego-trip for them. They hired me. I quit 2 years later. Steer clear.

Interview Questions
    • None. Pretty standard interview. Know the text-book answers for your area. This company does not think beyond 2010.   Answer Question
    The compensation package they offered was very good. I tried to negotiate, but got nowhere. That was okay, though. They pay pretty good.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at BMC Software in April 2014.

Since I am based abroad, all the process was conducted remotely. It started as an email exchange. Then there were phones interviews, followed by Skype interviews with senior management. That was followed by Skype interviews with peers. When that was completed, an email exchange for references took place and then background checks were done. That started the salary negotiations.

Interview Questions
    • It seems as if I had held more senior positions in the past, why would I want to take this job?   Answer Question

I had a better competing offer