BMC Software Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

Java Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Recruiter emailed me to set up onsite interview with 4 interviewers and 3 hours. Three interviewers were nice but one was extremely disrespectful and unfriendly. He looked at his mobile phone during the interview while I talked, did not make eye contact, criticized me, and immediately tried to point out any possible mistakes in a answer I would give him. He had a complex and looked very nervous when he thought he pointed out a mistake but was proved wrong. Interview was basic but the disrespectful interviewer made me learn that it is not a friendly working environment. Also job description did not include preferences of interviewers. It had some qualifications, but in the interview they ask if you are familiar with other topics like networking and really prefer that you have taken those other classes so make sure that you ask the recruiter additional desired skills otherwise they just select applicants who know the most about various different areas, not just what is on the job description. They do not seem like they want to do training, they want someone who knows everything already.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software.

Interview

Pretty quick process. Had one phone interview with the HR department followed by two phone interviews with the managers. I was then brought on site for a face to face interview with the management staff, as well as a peer interview.

Senior Technical Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at BMC Software (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was incredibly smooth and efficient. I had an interview with my hiring manager, a peer, one other stakeholder, and then a VP. I was able to have immediate feedback about how I was doing in the process by the BMC recruiter. All of them were well prepared with my resume and background prior to their interview with me.

Interview Questions

• A common interview question was what wanted to be doing at BMC that might be different than what I'm already doing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was quite easy because I checked the going rate for a position like the one they offered and it was met reasonably for what I desired.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software in January 2015.

Interview

I had 6 interviews total. One with each manager, recruiter, in-person, and a phone case study. It was a difficult process and you have to study the products bmc offers very well. 1.5 months to complete the interview process and receive an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, they said the pay was X amount of dollars in the initial call

Staff Platform Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a phone screen with hiring manager and his direct report, which was pretty awkward at best. it was difficult to tell how was asking questions at times, and the interaction of the two interviewers was contradictory at times, almost akin to good cop/bad cop routine. Typical phone screens I've had with other employers are one on one with just a hiring manager, typically followed up by an on-site interview if the employer feels it is worth the time to bring the candidate in. The first phone interview was followed up about a week later with two more additional phone interviewers that were one on one with higher management. (three total phone interviews within about two weeks) Contact to this employer was via referral of employee who had provided info on job months before it was posted. A resume was provided to hiring manager months before the job was posted also. Initial hiring manager feedback was very positive, over several weeks, and right before on site interview, it was cancelled abruptly, with no explanation. HR contact was also hard to reach, and seemed aloof at times in follow-up, (sent emails and no phone contact), but eventually provided feedback that job was filled. Learned later thru employee referral that the job was filled internally. No explanation provided as to why the feedback changed from very positive to "we cancelled your on-site interview, we already talked to you", basically, have a nice day, don't call us, we won't call you. I have worked at many companies and was a hiring manager myself for many years, and this has to be the worst interview experience I've ever come across from a major employer. Avoid this company, or at least expect a very unusual interview experience to say the least. Advice to company: Treat your interviewees with respect and some level of dignity and don't lead them on for weeks and then provide no explanation as to why you were dumped.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions centered around knowledge of hardware products that would be managed and configured as well as software skills.   Answer Question

Lead Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after looking at my resume on Linkedin. We exchanged emails and then I got sent a list of technical questions, most of which were design questions and how I solved a technical problem. The questions were also asking on my knowledge of concurrency. Then I got on the phone with one of their Lead developer. We chat about what I do at my current job and about various technologies. Then he asks about my knowledge on multi threaded programming and concurrency. After around 20 minutes I am asked a question "What feature did you develop from scratch at your current job?" I reply with a litany and he then says "But these are just small additions to existing features". We go back and forth with variations of the same exchange and it gets to a point where I tell him, "In enterprise software, it is very rare that one builds a brand new feature from scratch which includes a complete framework. Only startups have such privileges". At that point I thought no more interviews. I was surprised pleasantly when the recruiter calls me next day to schedule on-site. The onsite interview consisted of meeting with three people 1:1, two of them architects. With both we go over design challenges and questions on some of the architecture of my past projects. The third person then goes about asking questions around Garbage Collection (its basics like generational), then how to implement hashmaps/tables. Most of these questions are typically geared to college students and almost none of the questions seemed relevant to the job on hand. It is unclear how the internals of java data structures will be used in day-to-day coding. Internals of data structures are used to design, but the level of questioning seemed a bit condescending and incredulous on my display of the lack of knowledge. Seemed as if they wanted someone to write for loops and sorting (quicksort/merge sort) instead of a lead who can write real code using existing libraries and best design practices. Two reasons why I gave a negative on the interview (has nothing to do with the result) 1. Condescending nature of couple of interviewers 2. Most of the interviewers had not even read my resume.

Interview Questions

• Explain garbage collection and generational garbage collection   Answer Question

Enablement Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software.

Interview

normal process, an test to check whether i know about practical job, Job functional Interview, manager interview and HR interview and accepted offer. HR interview was very cool no nonsense questions, only manager round was pathetic

Interview Questions

• how many courses you have designed, what are ID standards, can you learn the product, how you can handle team politics.   1 Answer

Commissions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BMC Software (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

very simple and rushed. Did a phone screening with a recruiter. Then a phone interview with the manager... No face to face. Offer was made the same day as phone interview and I started two weeks later

Interview Questions

• describe your modeling, why are you leaving etc. All basic   Answer Question

Interview

Hired through college campus. Interview questions were not too difficult. Asked to show technical skills in programming, database and problem solving. Tested me on pressing scenarios to see how I can manage stressful work with key customers.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer situation where customer is unhappy and does not want to listen to anyone for fixing their problem?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software in November 2014.

Interview

A recruiter messaged me in LinkedIn and set up a phone interview with one of the senior machine learning engineers at BMC. He was in India and hence the call was over skype. He asked a lot of technical questions on machine learning techniques. The questions also included some basic CS questions involving trees. He asked me how do I solve IT change management process using any machine learning algorithm. It was a classic example of a text mining method.

Interview Questions

• How to automate IT change management using Machine Learning techniques?   1 Answer