BMC Software Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Jun 2, 2015

2.6

Java Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Recruiter emailed me to set up onsite interview with 4 interviewers and 3 hours. Three interviewers were nice but one was extremely disrespectful and unfriendly. He looked at his mobile phone during the interview while I talked, did not make eye contact, criticized me, and immediately tried to point out any possible mistakes in a answer I would give him. He had a complex and looked very nervous when he thought he pointed out a mistake but was proved wrong. Interview was basic but the disrespectful interviewer made me learn that it is not a friendly working environment. Also job description did not include preferences of interviewers. It had some qualifications, but in the interview they ask if you are familiar with other topics like networking and really prefer that you have taken those other classes so make sure that you ask the recruiter additional desired skills otherwise they just select applicants who know the most about various different areas, not just what is on the job description. They do not seem like they want to do training, they want someone who knows everything already.

Lead Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after looking at my resume on Linkedin. We exchanged emails and then I got sent a list of technical questions, most of which were design questions and how I solved a technical problem. The questions were also asking on my knowledge of concurrency. Then I got on the phone with one of their Lead developer. We chat about what I do at my current job and about various technologies. Then he asks about my knowledge on multi threaded programming and concurrency. After around 20 minutes I am asked a question "What feature did you develop from scratch at your current job?" I reply with a litany and he then says "But these are just small additions to existing features". We go back and forth with variations of the same exchange and it gets to a point where I tell him, "In enterprise software, it is very rare that one builds a brand new feature from scratch which includes a complete framework. Only startups have such privileges". At that point I thought no more interviews. I was surprised pleasantly when the recruiter calls me next day to schedule on-site. The onsite interview consisted of meeting with three people 1:1, two of them architects. With both we go over design challenges and questions on some of the architecture of my past projects. The third person then goes about asking questions around Garbage Collection (its basics like generational), then how to implement hashmaps/tables. Most of these questions are typically geared to college students and almost none of the questions seemed relevant to the job on hand. It is unclear how the internals of java data structures will be used in day-to-day coding. Internals of data structures are used to design, but the level of questioning seemed a bit condescending and incredulous on my display of the lack of knowledge. Seemed as if they wanted someone to write for loops and sorting (quicksort/merge sort) instead of a lead who can write real code using existing libraries and best design practices. Two reasons why I gave a negative on the interview (has nothing to do with the result) 1. Condescending nature of couple of interviewers 2. Most of the interviewers had not even read my resume.

Interview Questions

• Explain garbage collection and generational garbage collection   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Since I am based abroad, all the process was conducted remotely. It started as an email exchange. Then there were phones interviews, followed by Skype interviews with senior management. That was followed by Skype interviews with peers. When that was completed, an email exchange for references took place and then background checks were done. That started the salary negotiations.

Interview Questions

• It seems as if I had held more senior positions in the past, why would I want to take this job?   Answer Question

I had a better competing offer

Senior Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with HR - phone interview with hiring manager where they ask mostly experience related questions to see if it's relevant to a position; on-site interview - 2 hours with 3 people with technical questions about my C programming experience

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Politely asked for more and was given $5k sign-up bonus

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview, one with the hiring manager on background and experience, one with two team members on technical questions; one coding exercise; one lunch meeting; onsite interview with four team members (design, coding, technical, brain teaser)

Interview Questions

BMC Software Response

Apr 5, 2014 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Employee Referrals are a great way to help expedite your candidacy with the company. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Senior Manager, Global Mobility Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA).

Interview

The interview process was quick. From the phone screens to the follow ups by the recruiter and staffing specialist. The communication was prompt, detailed and professional. Due to remote locations for many of the interview team, the interviews came in a variety of forms such as phone interview, in-person and video conference. My interviews consisted of 6 individuals, which I consider reasonable compared to past experience at other companies, that said I would suggest reducing the rounds to speed up the process. I was impressed with the team I met, with their area of expertise and wealth of knowledge. My perceptions of the team left me with the impression this was a team performing with integrity.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example where you made a new discovery in your past experience that may have had to do with company culture, business practice and/or challenging business groups, what did you discover, how did you respond and what was the lesson(s) learned. How did this experience shape who you are?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer process was surprisingly easy and direct, more than fair. I was impressed with BMC’s concern to ensure this was a favorable outcome for both parties. My advice is to effectively demonstrate the value you can contribute to the organization, look for win-win solutions, yes it nice to boost your salary but more importantly have an idea of the type of team/people you want to surround yourself with.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Through head hunter agency. And on the phone, 3 times, never in person. lots of questions with regard to the position, and industry. Company headquarters in Houston Texas. Many worldwide locations with many supporting staff within India.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Interview

First phone interview scheduled by an engineer from BMC and after that an onsite interview with 5-6 team members.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer only accepting solution to problem what she have read and could not even convince me with her solution.   Answer Question

SQA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Recruiter called me and set up a phone interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Telephonic interview was only about regular resume screening then called for an onsite 1:1 interview. Total 5 interviews onsite, first 4 with the team, and then last one was with manager. they asked me about my current Master's project, previous job exp, then deep dived into technical stuff, mostly design, architecture and logic related questions. no whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions

• What are the things to consider while migrating from EJB 2 to eJB 3 project... why not hibernate instead of JPA   1 Answer