BMO Capital Markets

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

2.9

Summer Analyst - Investment Banking Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

Applied through my school's website and went for their information session, followed up with pre-interview night. Interview was in school. half hour interview with 2 guys from the firm. fairly casual, nothing too tough. I however, did not make it to the final round due to visa issues

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

First went to an information session on the company, Next submitted a resume and cover letter. Received an offer to interview. The interview was incredibly conversational. Not one technical question. Only 1 or 2 behavioral questions, but the majority of the interview just involved talking about my experiences based on my resume. Very hard to gauge whether the interview went well or not. I thought we had a good conversation, but hard to tell what separates you from another candidate in this situation.

Interview Questions
    • Generally: I had spent a decent amount of time preparing for technical questions and understanding the economy/markets, but there were no questions about that.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

i just applied through my school's career website. The interview was pretty basic at first but then it got technical real quick. They asked about how to value a gas station. Also, they asked what the benefits were to issuing debt over equity. It was a pretty tough interview.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in December 2014.

I was referred for the position from another employee sending in my resume. I had phone interviews with two bankers (one associate and one VP) that were 30 minutes long each. One of the phone interviews covered behavioral questions while the other covered technical questions.

I was invited to Chicago for a final round consisting of four 30 minute interviews with bankers across all levels of the firm. I had one very technically heavy interview and the other ones were more about my experiences and why I was interested in the firm. I also got the good cop / bad cop routine pulled on me as they will try to catch you off guard.

Interview Questions
    • Behavorials: Why BMO? Why Investment Banking? Walk me through your resume. How do you feel about Investment Banking hours?

Technicals: Walk me through a DCF. How would you model out a declining growth rate for Terminal Value? What factors do you look for in comparable companies?

Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Recruitment process started with off-campus recruiting event specific to my school. Next, on-campus interviews by alumni, then on-site interviews by several higher-level employees within the investment bank. Most questions were oriented around my background as I explained it to them during the interview. The experience was not intimidating. The atmosphere was fairly laid back in comparison to other investment banking interviews I had. People were more interested in seeing how interested I was in the bank than if I was prepared technically. It seemed like the assessment/screening was more mutual than on-sided. It felt more like a discussion than a talent show.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in October 2014.

Applied through Campus Recruiting through my university. Was taken out for drinks and food and chatted with associates and managing directors at the firm. All small talk. Some finance talk, but was very casual. Then interviewed the next day. Very middle of the road behavioral and resume walk through questions, with a couple typical technicals that you should have down solid (depreciation effect on financial statements, valuation methods, etc).

Interview Questions
    • On a scale of 1-10, 1 being very smart and 10 being hard working, where would you place yourself and why?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in October 2014.

You are being interviewed by 2 people, 30 minutes each. Questions were all behavioral, and comprehensive as they want to get the feel of who you are.
    Make sure that you can articulate who you are, and what you have to offer.
    The interview process was quite pleasant and not as nerve racking, as I thought it would be, as I am not familiar with the financial field.

Interview Questions
    • Having in mind your liberal arts background, Why are you choosing to work in the financial field?   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

The process was fairly easy, I interviewed with the administrative coordinator. The company hires fairly quickly. Was told I would know within a day if I would be offered the position. She asked questions about dealing with unhappy customers as well as the important aspects of being a good receptionist.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

Three rounds: one with admin manager in local office as a screening, next with head of administration over video, then you meet the bankers you will be supporting. No tricks.

Interview Questions
    • How do you balance work and home life? I wanted to say, "easily."   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in February 2014.

Networked my way into a IBD SA first round interview over the phone. Was conducted by two people- one analyst, one associate. Both 30 minute conversations.

Generally asked me questions about my past experience, interests, and technical questions.

One of them was kind of an asshol3 and asked me all these obscure questions. Did not get a second round.