BMO Capital Markets

BMO Capital Markets Interview Questions

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Recruitment process started with off-campus recruiting event specific to my school. Next, on-campus interviews by alumni, then on-site interviews by several higher-level employees within the investment bank. Most questions were oriented around my background as I explained it to them during the interview. The experience was not intimidating. The atmosphere was fairly laid back in comparison to other investment banking interviews I had. People were more interested in seeing how interested I was in the bank than if I was prepared technically. It seemed like the assessment/screening was more mutual than on-sided. It felt more like a discussion than a talent show.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in October 2014.

Applied through Campus Recruiting through my university. Was taken out for drinks and food and chatted with associates and managing directors at the firm. All small talk. Some finance talk, but was very casual. Then interviewed the next day. Very middle of the road behavioral and resume walk through questions, with a couple typical technicals that you should have down solid (depreciation effect on financial statements, valuation methods, etc).

Interview Questions
    • On a scale of 1-10, 1 being very smart and 10 being hard working, where would you place yourself and why?   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

The process was fairly easy, I interviewed with the administrative coordinator. The company hires fairly quickly. Was told I would know within a day if I would be offered the position. She asked questions about dealing with unhappy customers as well as the important aspects of being a good receptionist.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

Three rounds: one with admin manager in local office as a screening, next with head of administration over video, then you meet the bankers you will be supporting. No tricks.

Interview Questions
    • How do you balance work and home life? I wanted to say, "easily."   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in February 2014.

Networked my way into a IBD SA first round interview over the phone. Was conducted by two people- one analyst, one associate. Both 30 minute conversations.

Generally asked me questions about my past experience, interests, and technical questions.

One of them was kind of an asshol3 and asked me all these obscure questions. Did not get a second round.

Public Finance Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BMO Capital Markets in January 2014.

I got a first round interview after attending their oncampus information session. They seemed disorganized at the info session. One of the current analysts helped me a lot with prep, but the first round was entirely non-technical. They seemed to ask questions at random, often with long pauses. One interviewer couldn't look at me. They weren't very organized in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me Why BMO, Why Public Finance, and Where I want to be in 5 years in the same question, first question.   Answer Question

I really wanted to do consulting more

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Great culture and competitive interview process. Interviewed with four different senior bankers. There was a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. Spent a lot of time going through my resume and how I could benefit the firm at the junior level. They had a couple superdays throughout the year.

Interview Questions
    • Various valuation techniques for a tech company vs. utility.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

applied through university career services. 1st round on-site interview with a VP and the MD

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

2 initial phone interviews. first was more behavioral. second was more technical. valuation and accounting concepts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at BMO Capital Markets in October 2012.

First round interview gained thorugh on-campus recruiting at Villanova. Two senior bankers who were alums directed the whole first round process. Questions were mostly fit and current-events oriented. Not very much in the way of technicals.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me whether or not you think the equity markets are overvalued right now, and where they are going in the next 12 months.   Answer Question