BMO Capital Markets

Updated Dec 1, 2014

3.3

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in October 2014.

Applied through Campus Recruiting through my university. Was taken out for drinks and food and chatted with associates and managing directors at the firm. All small talk. Some finance talk, but was very casual. Then interviewed the next day. Very middle of the road behavioral and resume walk through questions, with a couple typical technicals that you should have down solid (depreciation effect on financial statements, valuation methods, etc).

Interview Questions
  • On a scale of 1-10, 1 being very smart and 10 being hard working, where would you place yourself and why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BMO Capital Markets

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Great culture and competitive interview process. Interviewed with four different senior bankers. There was a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. Spent a lot of time going through my resume and how I could benefit the firm at the junior level. They had a couple superdays throughout the year.

Interview Questions
    • Various valuation techniques for a tech company vs. utility.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at BMO Capital Markets in October 2012.

First round interview gained thorugh on-campus recruiting at Villanova. Two senior bankers who were alums directed the whole first round process. Questions were mostly fit and current-events oriented. Not very much in the way of technicals.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me whether or not you think the equity markets are overvalued right now, and where they are going in the next 12 months.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in March 2012.

Normal process, 2 interviews with an analyst and associate.

Interview Questions
    • How would you value a berry bush that produces gold berries?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in September 2011.

I met a number of analysts and associates during a visit to the New York office. My school sets up a career trek in August where we visit a number of large players on Wall Street--banks, asset managers, etc.

Following this, I applied through both BMO's career website and to my school's career management website. I received an invitation to interview a few weeks later. The interview was pretty standard. it was a 30-minute one-one-one on campus. The interviewer was an MD in one of the industry groups. He was extremely nice and certainly made the interview very relaxed. Technical Q's weren't terribly difficult--walk me through a DCF, describe CAPM, how do you find WACC.

I received a phone call two weeks after letting me know that I had not been extended an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in December 2008.

Very relaxing.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I sent my application during on campus recruiting. I received a phone interview with HR a couple weeks later asking me general questions about my resume, my strengths, where I wanted to be in 5 years. I was invited to a first round interview the next week where I met with a Director 1 on 1 and then an Associate 1 on 1. The first interview was behavioral and the second was technical. Standard questions you'd find in a Vault guide.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you completely changed the way you viewed or approached something.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets in August 2013.

Being well prepared for any interview is key to keeping your nerves under control. It's also essential to appearing confident and pulled together. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your next interview:

Know yourself. Think about examples you can share that will substantiate the information that you have included in your resume and will highlight the skills and experiences that you can bring to the position.
    Know the company and the role you are applying for; you can become acquainted with the company by reviewing their website.
    Listen carefully. Ask for clarification as needed. Make notes if this is helpful.
    Express your thoughts in a clear and organized manner; avoid jargon or slang.
    Be thoughtful about your tone of voice and how quickly you speak.
    Come prepared with questions.
    Telephone interviews are a common first step in the interview process. Here are some tips to help you during the telephone interview.

Be sure you have your resume for reference.
    Know the name of the person you will be talking to, your notes and questions.
    Have a pen and paper or other note-taking system to record notes, new information, phone numbers and names.

Analyst, Investment Banking Interview

Usual, 30 minute interview. Half fit, half technical. Little bit of everything for technical.

Interview Questions
    • Probed deep into multiples, different scenarios for each multiple, different industry multiples, what happens when you have negative earnings, what multiple should you use then, etc.   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BMO Capital Markets.

Multiple rounds, including a few phone calls and multiple in person interviews. This is actually the first interview process in which all the interviews were with VP or MD and no analysts or associates. There was a split between fit (40%), technical (40%), and brain teaser (20%) questions - had not really been expecting that many brain teasers.

A lot of great people who I really sincerely enjoyed talking to. Seems like there is a great culture across the firm.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest amount of money you can have but still not be able to make exact change for a dollar?   View Answer