BNP Paribas Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014

3.1

Fixed Income Structuring Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BNP Paribas in January 2012.

I was notified I received an interview a week before the interview. I was interviewed by two MDs for my first round. It started as fit, but quickly turned technical, so I would say definitely over 50% was technical.

Sales & Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNP Paribas in February 2011.

Interview was all fit based. No brainteasers or market questions. The most important part was being able to sell yourself. I interviewed with two guys from Prime Brokerage. To prepare for your interview though, you should still know all your market info, basic math, and obviously your fit answers. The interview depends heavily on the person that is interviewing you (i.e. trader = market questions).

Interview Questions
    • Why should I choose you over the other 9 candidates that I just interviewed?   Answer Question
    Salary is competitive.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at BNP Paribas in July 2010.

I got the interview call through a Recruiter.

I first had a phone interview and then I was invited onsite where I met 4 people, 3 technical and 1 pseudo-technical/HR.

The whole process lasted for 4 hours and had questions on C++, multithreading, projects on my resume and questions about basic finance and low latency.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a thread safe queue con-formant to POSIX APIs and specification. There are multiple readers and writers indefinitely reading/writing from/into the queue.   View Answer

Assistant Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BNP Paribas in July 2010.

Phone interview - fairly standard and then in person interviews with 2 directors and 1 managing director

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where the team you are working with has no time for your project?   Answer Question

Fixed Income Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BNP Paribas in June 2010.

Good planning, pleasant to deal with HR and technical resources. Questions hard, but the interviewee is helped to get through them and provide his or her best answer.

Interview Questions
    • Details about interest rate derivatives, theory and practice.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation, as it was an internship.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BNP Paribas in May 2010.

After an initial contact, since I was in France at the moment of my application, the company proceded with a series of phone interviews. The interviews were not technical, what was evaluated was my motivation and my language skills. After a first round, a background check was made (since I needed to apply for a Visa) and a 1:1 interview via Skype with my future boss finalized the process. After I was accepted, as part of the recruitment process a drug test was made.

Fixed Income Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BNP Paribas in March 2010.

First round interview, the MD I interviewed with asked me about digital options. Since I come from a non-finance background, he wanted to see how quickly I can pick up information and apply them. Second round, I interviewed with 4 people. Some questions involved short/long positions, how the market is doing, and what is going on in the markets lately.

Associate Sales and Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNP Paribas in January 2010.

I applied through on-campus recruiting and just completed the first round of interviews. The interviewer is very nice and friendly. Basically, he just asked me a project I did before. He went into technical details involved in the project. Additionally, he asked open questions to test your general understanding about derivatives.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNP Paribas in October 2009.

Standard interview through my graduate school recruiting, 1 on 1 interview with senior guy, interview was for Fixed Income Sales & Trading, for Sales side. A brief walk through resume and after that a bit of discussion on current market situation and also on my career interest. Also, I was told more about the role, etc. Interviewer was laid back and positive, no tough questions, more like a fit type of interview.

Interview Questions
    • Are you more interested in Sales or in Structuring role and why?   Answer Question

Vice President, Management Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNP Paribas in October 2009.

They already knew me from extensive activity in another group which liaised regularly with the technology department. I was suggested by our COO of the Americas for the position.

He asked me a number of questions and already knew me well. The biggest hurdle was moving from our Midtown Manhattan offices to our back office building in Jersey City, NJ. Due to the benefits, title and compensation I accepted.

I really loved working for BNP Paribas even though I am aware they pay a bit below market but I had 5 weeks of paid vacation a year and received a very acceptable (to me) annual bonus. This was an Information Technology position, reporting to the CIO.

Interview Questions
    • How will you get a diverse group of disagreeing people to provide you with information and cooperation if you hold this position?   View Answer
    He was very generous and I did not negotiate. We were already well-known to each other and I accepted that he was proposing the best package he could after his negotiations with our head office. I was already impressed and it would have been (in my situation) an insult to request more.