BNP Paribas Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at BNP Paribas (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

I got the interview call through a Recruiter.

I first had a phone interview and then I was invited onsite where I met 4 people, 3 technical and 1 pseudo-technical/HR.

The whole process lasted for 4 hours and had questions on C++, multithreading, projects on my resume and questions about basic finance and low latency.

Interview Questions

• Implement a thread safe queue con-formant to POSIX APIs and specification. There are multiple readers and writers indefinitely reading/writing from/into the queue.   1 Answer

Assistant Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BNP Paribas (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2010.

Interview

Phone interview - fairly standard and then in person interviews with 2 directors and 1 managing director

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where the team you are working with has no time for your project?   Answer Question

Fixed Income Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BNP Paribas (UC Berkeley, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Good planning, pleasant to deal with HR and technical resources. Questions hard, but the interviewee is helped to get through them and provide his or her best answer.

Interview Questions

• Details about interest rate derivatives, theory and practice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation, as it was an internship.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BNP Paribas (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

After an initial contact, since I was in France at the moment of my application, the company proceded with a series of phone interviews. The interviews were not technical, what was evaluated was my motivation and my language skills. After a first round, a background check was made (since I needed to apply for a Visa) and a 1:1 interview via Skype with my future boss finalized the process. After I was accepted, as part of the recruitment process a drug test was made.

Fixed Income Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BNP Paribas (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

First round interview, the MD I interviewed with asked me about digital options. Since I come from a non-finance background, he wanted to see how quickly I can pick up information and apply them. Second round, I interviewed with 4 people. Some questions involved short/long positions, how the market is doing, and what is going on in the markets lately.

Associate Sales and Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BNP Paribas (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting and just completed the first round of interviews. The interviewer is very nice and friendly. Basically, he just asked me a project I did before. He went into technical details involved in the project. Additionally, he asked open questions to test your general understanding about derivatives.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BNP Paribas (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

Standard interview through my graduate school recruiting, 1 on 1 interview with senior guy, interview was for Fixed Income Sales & Trading, for Sales side. A brief walk through resume and after that a bit of discussion on current market situation and also on my career interest. Also, I was told more about the role, etc. Interviewer was laid back and positive, no tough questions, more like a fit type of interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you more interested in Sales or in Structuring role and why?   Answer Question

Vice President, Management Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BNP Paribas (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2009.

Interview

They already knew me from extensive activity in another group which liaised regularly with the technology department. I was suggested by our COO of the Americas for the position.

He asked me a number of questions and already knew me well. The biggest hurdle was moving from our Midtown Manhattan offices to our back office building in Jersey City, NJ. Due to the benefits, title and compensation I accepted.

I really loved working for BNP Paribas even though I am aware they pay a bit below market but I had 5 weeks of paid vacation a year and received a very acceptable (to me) annual bonus. This was an Information Technology position, reporting to the CIO.

Interview Questions

• How will you get a diverse group of disagreeing people to provide you with information and cooperation if you hold this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

He was very generous and I did not negotiate. We were already well-known to each other and I accepted that he was proposing the best package he could after his negotiations with our head office. I was already impressed and it would have been (in my situation) an insult to request more.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNP Paribas (Miami, FL) in July 2009.

Interview

Very smooth and laid back. Everyone was very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

BNP ended up offering 15 % more and I accepted the position.

Summer Intern (Analyst) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BNP Paribas (New York, NY) in March 2009.

Interview

Outside of basic fit, some technical questions, asked to do basic bond math and a few brain teasers which included:
    How many grocery stores are in the US?
    If it is 3:20, what angle do the hands on the clock make?
    If a weight is thrown into a pool, what will happen to the water level?
    How many integers include the number 9 from 0-100,000

I had one phone interview where the interviewer was very "in your face" and wanted to see how I reacted under pressure, was really stressful. From there I was called into New York and had two interviews on site where the interviewers were much nicer, the interviewers were short but I had to wait for almost 45 minutes in a conference room in between them, I wasn't sure if it was to "ice" me or if they were just busy, probably the latter.

Interview Questions

• How many grocery stores are in the US?   1 Answer