BNSF Railway

Updated Dec 7, 2014

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Conductor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Applied online. Basic orientation and interview questions. Safety is key. Take notes during the brief. Dress business casual. Plan for the interview process to take all day. Individual interviews last 20 to 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • Very basic questions, some pertain to information given during the orientation.   Answer Question
no negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for BNSF Railway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in July 2013.

The hiring process moved fast and efficiently as I received my first step in the process about a week after applying. It consisted of taking a test that consisted of technical and reading comprehension questions. It took only two or three days to receive notice that I was successful and would be contacted with a hiring session date which only took another week. During the interview an hour was devoted to discussing the company lifestyle and that of a conductor as well as company benefits and questions were answered. After that another reading comprehension test as administered for a total of 90 questions. When the results were posted those who passed were schedule for an interview later that afternoon and we went to the next step which was collection of a hair sample for drug testing should we be offered a position. The interview was brief was a heavy focus on safety and reliability as an employee due to the hazardous nature of the railroad.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was how I handle conflict with a coworker or supervisor just because I struggle with human relations and typically I don't know how to best answer that type of question.   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2012.

very difficult process. took a test to qualify for interview. if you pass you get interview. take a hair drug screen before interview then panel interviewed. Interviewis mainly safety related questions and how you deal with being outside in elements. Preach safety safety safety and you should be fine as long as you aren't completely incompetent.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a disagreement with a manager how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    had to jump through a ton of hoops. thorough background check that takes weeks to month. Very thorough physical and strength test. Sleep apnea test on your own dollar if bmi is over 32.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BNSF Railway in April 2009.

Begin online, Submit Online Application for listed available positions as advertised. www.bnsf.com. You will receive an email regarding the application upon receipt in approximately a month. then followed by a written letter inviting you to an in person group interview and orientation. Soon after passing the in person group interview you will receive a written offer letter upon being selected for the available position.

Interview Questions
    • Safety oriented industry demands dedication. What routines do you use throughout the day that would demonstrate your safe behaviors?   View Answer
    we would like to welcome you to our team if you accept we will send the letter of agreement for your review and acceptance to sign and return. UNION ESTABLISHED RATES FOR TRAINING, AND WORK WITHIN THE CRAFTS GOVERNED BY UNION CONTRACTS.

Conductor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2011.

A few short weeks after applying for the position, I received an email from human resources saying that I was invited to the hiring session the following month. The hiring session consisted of an intelligence and personality test, hair follicle drug test, and interview via panel. A few weeks later, I received the job offer and began the pre-employment medical process, which consisted of a full physical and questionnaire. This is the part that lost the job for me. I have sleep apnea but the machine that I was given just doesn't do it for me.

Interview Questions
    • Your supervisor asks you to do something that is unsafe or unethical. What do you do?   View Answer

I wasn't using my CPAP machine, which is a huge no-no for the position.

Conductor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in June 2010.

Initial communication was through email and phone call to let me know when the testing and interview date was. On the day of the testing they had a presentation of what the job was and the benefits that come with it.

Interview Questions
    • If a supervisor asked you to do something that was unsafe how would you respond?   View Answer