BNSF Railway

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at BNSF Railway in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through the website and the process took about a 5 weeks. I went through a phone interview and then they flew me to Ft. Worth for a hiring event. Both interviews were behavioral questions and not bad at all. Overall, it was a great experience and I met some great people.

Interview Question – "Tell us about a time..."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no need to negotiate. I was offered pay greater than what I expected.

Consulting Systems Developer I Interview

Consulting Systems Developer I
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very lengthy. The whole process took over 2 months. The background check takes for ever. I was initally contacted for a phone screen, and then a panel interview with the managers and directors, followed by another panel interview with some of the developers for technical questions.

Interview Question – None. But some of the questions were wierd, but found out why after I joined.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a higher pay and increased vacation time.

Project Manager, Corporate Audit Services Interview

Project Manager, Corporate Audit Services
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview Details – I applied for two positions within the Corporate Audit Services department and was invited to interview for the Project Manager position. It was a panel interview with 3 managers (two females and one male). They were very nice and friendly. However, the interview was scripted (they were alternating and reading from a list of questions) which I felt was very limiting as I did not get a chance to really highlight my personality and audit experience as much as I would have liked. The questions were audit related and at the end of the interview I was given a case study to complete. Each candidate is given 30 mins to complete the case study. Its a story of a manufacturing company with some audit issues (inventory and payments) and you are asked to create a report to be submitted to upper management on how you would handle the issues found with this company. How you would conduct the audit, who among the mentioned employees you would interview, what type of remediation plan you would recommend and why. At the end of the interview, the manager said she would get back to me in 2 weeks and she did. Interview was about one hour long and 30 mins for the case study.

Interview Question – The case study had 10 questions and you are given 30 mins to complete and present in a format that can be submitted to upper management. You will be given a pen and notepad and will be escorted to a quite room (cubicle) to complete this assignment.   Answer Question

Consulting Systems Engineer Interview

Consulting Systems Engineer
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview Details – The employment web site did not work well. I submitted my resume several times but it never got through. I finally got in touch with a recruiter. A recruiter or personal contact is the best way to get in. the interview was two phase. There was a telephone panel interview with the hiring manager and the team. Following that there was a face to face interview with the hiring manager and director. The phone interview was a technical interview but was mainly about my work experience. I had to describe my past experience and how it would be relevant to the position. The second interview was less formal. It was mainly just so they could "size me up" to see if I were a good personality fit. They like to do contract to hire. I started as a contractor before I became an employee. Be aware that BNSF hires many contractors, especially in IT. If you are interviewing for a contract position, do not expect it to become a permanent position. Contract slots are contract slots and do not become perm just because you do outstanding job. I now people that have been contractors for 15+ years with no chance of ever being perm.

Interview Question – I don't remember specifically, that was almost 4 years ago.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a contract to hire initially. I started as a contractor where the hourly rate was fixed. There were no real negotiations. When they asked me to become an employee, They simply asked me how much I wanted to start. I told them, Then they came back and said it was a little over what the salary band would pay. It was not much off, about 5K/yr. They counter offered with an extra weeks paid vacation. I accepted this offer.

Experienced First Line Supervisor Interview

Experienced First Line Supervisor
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BNSF Railway in May 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication was via a phone interview. Thirty minutes to an hour giving an overview of the position and BNSF itself, as well as some pretty generic questions regarding my prior experiences and why I was interested in BNSF. If you're successful in the initial interview, you're invited to a 2 day hiring event comprised of roughly 200 individuals vying for spots in the EFLS program. Attendees were there for all of the major sections (Transportation, Engineering, and Mechanical). On the first day, you're given an in depth overview of the company as well as the specific section you were interviewing for. Afterwards, there's a written test followed by dinner with the other attendees and current BNSF employees/management. If you pass the test, you were scheduled for an interview on day 2. The day 2 interview consistent of the applicant and a panel of BNSF employees. Most of the interview questions were tailored to give you a chance to demonstrate how your past experiences (professional, military, educational, etc.). applied to the situation they described. A couple weeks after the interview, you find out if an offer was going to be extended or not.

Interview Question – Please tell us about a time when one of your direct reports experienced a great level of success and how you contributed to that?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation regarding compensation. However, there may have been room to negotiate the location.

Experienced First Line Supervisor Interview

Experienced First Line Supervisor
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BNSF Railway in May 2013.

Interview Details – 2 day hiring event with testing and interview. Went great, the company paid for everything (travel, hotel, food). Very friendly!

Interview Question – None, behavioral questioning, very comfortable interview.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2013.

Interview Details – I first heard of the company at on-campus career expo. There, I gave them my resume and was contacted about a week later via email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of about 3-4 basic behavioral questions. Following the phone interview I was contacted again via email to attend a two-day hiring event in Fort Worth, TX.
The two day hiring event agenda:
Day 1: BNSF & Management Trainee overview presentation, "Watson-Glaser" critical thinking assessment (about 1.25 hrs), First line supervisor assessment (1 hour), realistic job previews (presentations on the job's activities and tasks).
Day 2: Interview (30 minutes per candidate) consisted of four behavioral questions- really basic nothing technical, and finally drug testing (hair sample).

Interview Question – How did you resolve a confrontation between you and colleague?   Answer Question

Security Analyst Interview

Security Analyst
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview Details – The interview started out with a panel of HR, which is a breeze if you are a normal person and good employee. Then moved on to a panel from the security team. Questions were delivered in a round by each member of the panel. The panel was made up of people from multiple security disciplines, so be prepared to cover areas other than what your expertise is. AppSec, perimeter, identity management, risk management, etc.

Interview Question – Application Security questions were very detailed as if the person being hired was expected to be an AppSec expert, not what the job description was for.   Answer Question

Service Design Management Trainee Interview

Service Design Management Trainee
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2012.

Interview Details – I met with the recruiter at my university's career fair. He took my resume and I contacted him later saying that I had applied online. I applied for 2 positions and was contacted almost immediately for a typical behavioral phone interview for the Trainmaster Trainee position and a week later for the Service Design position. I felt that Service Design aligned better with my personality and training and pursued only that.

I was brought down to Fort Worth, TX for the hiring event. They gave us a presentation on the company and then had us take logic tests. Everyone not applying for corporate jobs had to take 2 more hours of tests, and 17 of about 100 people failed the tests. Later that afternoon we were all separated into groups based on the positions we were applying for to speak with the bosses about what to expect and what kind of work is involved. A networking dinner followed and then scheduling for the next day of interviews for those who passed the tests.

On the second day I met with 2 of the same people I had my phone interview with and they asked many of the same questions that they previously asked me. They ask a lot of questions based on my responses, so that was a nice change-up. After that I went to get a good chunk of my hair cut off for drug testing.

Interview Questions

Human Resources Senior Staffing Specialist Interview

Human Resources Senior Staffing Specialist
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BNSF Railway in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was lucky to be referred to this position from an old family friend. I researched the company and got a good vibe from it. When I went in for the interview, the office space was nice; it definitely looked like a place I could work. I had 2 interviews- the 1st was a phone screening. I was just asked basic questions like "how did I hear about the company?" "what is my career interest?" "where do I see myself in 5 years?" etc.; the 2nd was an in person interview that entailed more behavioral questions like "tell me a time when you faced conflict in a team?" etc.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult team member? How did you appease the conflict?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer because I didn't want to accept the first offer presented to me.

Worked for BNSF Railway? Contribute to the Community!