BNSF Railway Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.9

Special Agent I (Field) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

The interview process was fairly fast. Dress professional, not necessarily a suit, but a button up shirt and tie is fine. The process is very lengthy and can take a long time. Just be patient and don't give notice until you get your final offer.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to improve safety in your past or current workplaces?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Just tell them you are willing to move and work overtime. They are looking for people who will stay a long time and prefer single mobile people since you will have to uproot your family many times.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation with people and how you you were able to work it out.   1 Answer

Switchman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Online application, mass interview that broke down to a one on one. The whole process took approximately 3 months. There was an online questionnaire, involving quite a lot of physics, this was administered after filling out the online application. There was also a drug test involving a hair sample and a physical capabilities test.

Interview Questions

• Is there anytime that breaking the safety rules is ok?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none for this position.

Yardmaster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway (Memphis, TN) in July 2015.

Interview

Fast and easy....watching the yard whilst I waited and realized it's steady and busy all the time...employees said it's long work hours and good benefits...just what I need..everybody seemed consistent and always working....just ready to strap on my boots and ready to start working with new people

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the company   1 Answer

Negotiation

Are you sure you can withstand working in the Memphis weather...lol

Project Manager - Environmental Permiting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial online application followed by a phone interview and then a face to face meeting/interview in the Fort Worth, TX. Overall time from the online application to phone interview followed by a personal interview was about 60 days.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to project management, planning, scheduling, costing, tracking, regulatory, project financial, staff and vendor management. I was also asked about specific projects where costs were reduced, profits were increased etc. because of the decisions I made. Questions on potential to relocate, etc. I was asked for specific examples of how I think my experience, education and skills would help me with my role at BNSF if I was hired.   4 Answers

Inter-modal Equipment Operator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

Very saftey oriented interview. Be prepared to answer behavioral questions and demonstrate your ability to be a safe employee. There will be a human resource representative and a hiring manager in the interview usually. Also the hiring process usually takes place in a convention room of the holiday inn. There are usually 50 or more candidates that you will be competing with. The good thing is that they usually hire 10 or so at a time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you recognized a saftey hazard on the job? What did you do to remove the hazard?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiations for this position. It is written in stone by the collective bargaining agreement.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Applied online, was asked to do an online questionnaire, was then immediately contacted to do a phone interview. Waited 3 weeks and then was contacted to attend a hiring event in Fort Worth, TX. Attended the event, the employees all seemed pretty nice. First day of event was general information, 2nd day was the interview. Personally, I don't think it was enough time to really get to know us and how we would work with the team/individually (especially considering the person we would be working for was unable to attend the event). Waited almost a month before the reject letter came (they said we would hear back in 2 weeks, which clearly was not the case). The entire process was slow (took almost 3 months from start to finish). It sounded like a great company to work for. Made a few new friendships from the hiring event though, so I guess that is a plus. It was still a great experience and I learned a lot. They really push not saying much about their interview process to others, so I want to respect that as much as possible. You may find more specific interview information from other reviews on here though.

Interview Questions

• They ask not to share interview information, so I want to be respectful of that and not say anything specific.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

Was interviewed over the phone then asked to attend a hiring event in ft worth. we took a personality test and did a drug screening. The next day I was interviewed by a group of bnsf employees.

Track Laborer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Onalaska, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Onalaska, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

The morning started out with an overview of the position, to include specific job tasks, expectations, opportunities for advancement, etc. Lasted about 1-2 hours and was very informative. After the overview, all applicants were lined up to give a hair sample for a drug screen. This is where I ran into problems. WARNING: IF YOU ARE BALD, YOU BETTER HAVE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF "BODY" HAIR TO PROVIDE. I am a swimmer and a gym rat... I do not like looking like a bear. I offered eyebrow hair, chest hair, arm hair but was turned away because it would not provide enough for their test requirement. I was turned away because I shave my head and "man-scape". I explained to the HR staff on site, that I am career active duty military and get drug tested regularly... made no difference. So if you go to a BNSF interview... better have some hair to give. They use a scissors to get a required 50mg sample. I am putting this out there for all others because there were no specifics about any of this prior to my arrival at the interview. The only guidance given was "be prepared to give a hair sample".

Interview Questions

• Can you provide a hair sample for drug screening?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

They first schedule a phone interview and then, if that goes well, you are flown out to Fort Worth, Texas for a hiring event. They fly out way too many people and it seems that they already have a person in mind before you even interview. I interviewed along with 9 other people for one position so after 6 interviews or so, I'm sure they were tired and they didn't seem to listen intently.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a time when you had multiple things requiring your attention. How did you get it all done?   Answer Question