BNSF Railway Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Applied online through campus career website, and online through BNSF. After applying I was contacted by email to take a simple basic mathematics and behavioral test. Then one week later I was contacted by phone to schedule a phone interview the following week. The phone interview took 10-15 mins and asked basic behavioral questions.

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

Process took about a month. Applied and heard from the company within two weeks. Went to a two day hiring event at HQ in Forth Worth, TX. First day is an overview of the company and position, along with brief critical thinking assessment. Second day is a panel interview along with submitting a hair sample.

Technology Services Management Trainee Interview

Phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes, and then 4 hours later they called me to attend a hiring event in Fort Worth, at their headquarters. At the hiring event, there was a critical thinking test that was nothing to worry about, and a short interview.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

The hiring and interview process is not like any other hiring process I have ever seen. The company does the interviews in large groups. 40-50 people show up for interviewing. Once there they are given a test. It is a basic congnitive skills assessment test. Upon completion of that then you go to the interview. While waiting for your turn to interview you submit a hair sample for drug screeening as well as a urine sample. After giving your samples you move on to the interview. There 3-4 people that as you pre written questions. You won't know your answer for 4 or more weeks.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation phase. You are either hired or your not.

Trainmaster Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

It is the usual interview process. You fill out a long questionnaire, do phone screening, then they fly you to corporate for a face to face interview. Same as most jobs

Interview Questions
    Not much of a negotiation, you take what they offer, which is decent.

Trackman/Drive Truck Driver and Work Track When On A Job Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

Lengthy= several days off current job for testing, physicals, drug tests and interview. 3rd grade test it seemed. They did thoroughly describe parts of bnsf but they don't work the field so they really don't know how it is out in the field for the company

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

one single interview

Applications Development/Service Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BNSF Railway in May 2014.

Sent the resume directly to the employer. And I got call in the next week. Only one round of interview which has basic sql queries and java questions.

Interview was very easy and got the offer in the next week.

No negotiation

Human Resources Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in May 2014.

20 minute phone interview with very standardized questions, an assessment (personality/cognitive skills), in-person group interview at Corporate HQ in Fort Worth, TX (they fly you in) with your competition and you give a hair sample for the drug test at that time.

IDM Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

2 rounds. First telephonic and next again for personal. Interviewed for 60 minutes when went for personal