BNSF Railway

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

Trainmaster Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Process is competitive. Questions are based around safety, leadership, and real world experience. Identify some skills or experiences that are pertinent, and articulate that in a short and concise manner. Most all interviews are over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What skills or experience, qualifies you for this position?   Answer Question
    There is no acceptable negotiating. Take what you get.

All Posittions Interview

This is a long process, but the benefits are great. You fill out the online application the take the long assessment, then you wait for the phone call. Good luck to all that apply

Technology Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I had to answer a 100 questionaire test behavioral type questions; it was time consuming and easy.
    Then I received a phone interview on leadership and behavioral questions. Blew through that and asked some questions that the HR employee could not answer. Received an email later on and was flown down to Fort Worth/Dallas, Texas for the hiring event and interview. Very nice event in which I learned a lot from the company and could get to know other students (200 students looking for a job with BNSF) as well as employees.
    The interview was in a room with a panel (2-3 recruiters) who asked questions that were simple about leadership roles/behavior and I actually expected more difficult questions and wish they had so I could better portray myself, but oh well.

Took a little over a week to receive a response.

Conductor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Applied online. Basic orientation and interview questions. Safety is key. Take notes during the brief. Dress business casual. Plan for the interview process to take all day. Individual interviews last 20 to 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions, some pertain to information given during the orientation.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in November 2014.

I applied online then received a call to schedule a phone interview a few weeks later. The interview I had was behavioral and the interviewer was very cold and quick. I soon realized that they outsource this part of the process which can explain why the interviewer was so fast, emotionless, and why the interviewer did not know any specifics about the position or company. About 10 days later I found out that I was invited to the final interview. The final interview was a two day process at a hotel in Westlake, TX. We had a presentation on the company, took a psychological/behavioral assessment, then had dinner with everyone. The next day we had a single interview throughout the day and a drug test then was able to leave soon afterwards.

Interview Questions

I received a more competitive offer that was more aligned with my interests and goals.

IStrategic Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway in November 2014.

Phone interview for only 10-15 minutes. Normal behavior questions such as how to handle multi-task, how do you work under pressure, show an example that you meet challenge and how did you fix that.

Management Trainee Interview

Online application, online skills assessment (mainly math and critical thinking) should have a general business knowledge and know how to read graphs and charts and took around 45 minutes, phone interview - called a screening but lots of generic behavioral questions with little feedback, in person interview. Whole process was a little lengthy and they are a little slow to respond so be patient.

All Interview

It is usually a 3 person panel. Be prepared to come with specific examples, because they will ask. This company usually gets hundreds of applicants, and most people don't get hired the first time around so keep trying. Chance of getting hired tends to be about 5%

Statistician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

scheduled a phone interview for about 40 mins. 2 people asking basic statistics questions, machine learning techniques, compare different techniques. A simple case asking how to build model and interpret results to a non-statistician. feel like that they are very interested in concepts which means that you need to memorize a lot of things . nothing about statistical programming.

Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Applied online through campus career website, and online through BNSF. After applying I was contacted by email to take a simple basic mathematics and behavioral test. Then one week later I was contacted by phone to schedule a phone interview the following week. The phone interview took 10-15 mins and asked basic behavioral questions.