BNSF Railway Interview Questions

2.9

Boilermaker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in January 2015.

I recently attended a hiring session in Topeka Ks. Only a handful of us, we went through the job description as well as personal interviews. Drug testing and that was pretty much it. The people weren't too bad. I have been to a few in the last few years and they were alot worse. As I felt the process went fairly well I still didn't get the position. Seems as if I can get invited to these hiring sessions with no problem but I can't get past that. My physical appearance; I am a big guy. However, I've never had a problem handling my weight. Which proves in my resume and current job, but I can't help but feel that maybe that's why I haven't made it on to the next level of the hiring process it can be quite discouraging.

Interview Questions
    • What shift do I prefer to work, first, second, or third   View Answer

Experienced First Line Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway in January 2015.

They called for the phone interview and that went well. Then they invited me to the second interview. All expenses paid trip to ft worth, Tx. They only ask three question. Over a month later final got an answer that I was not chosen. Better luck next time I guess.

Trainmaster Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Process is competitive. Questions are based around safety, leadership, and real world experience. Identify some skills or experiences that are pertinent, and articulate that in a short and concise manner. Most all interviews are over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What skills or experience, qualifies you for this position?   Answer Question
    There is no acceptable negotiating. Take what you get.

All Posittions Interview

This is a long process, but the benefits are great. You fill out the online application the take the long assessment, then you wait for the phone call. Good luck to all that apply

Engineering Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in December 2014.

I took the 100 question test online, which seemed fairly straightforward what answers they were looking for, then got a phone interview. The interviewee asked pretty much all group questions. I had a hard time giving answers that differentiated each of my examples. I haven't gotten a call back yet but if you're applying, I highly suggest writing down several examples of groups you've worked in.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a group where everything went as planned.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BNSF Railway in December 2014.

Applied online. 100 question questionnaire(online). Telephone interview. Invited to recruiting event in Texas next week. Mostly behavioral questions in phone interview. Not very difficult. Just be prepared with the questions you can find on glassdoor. The interviewer will not seem interested. They are trained to be this way. It's been a positive experience so far. Good luck.

Conductor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Applied online. Basic orientation and interview questions. Safety is key. Take notes during the brief. Dress business casual. Plan for the interview process to take all day. Individual interviews last 20 to 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions, some pertain to information given during the orientation.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Technology Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I had to answer a 100 questionaire test behavioral type questions; it was time consuming and easy.
    Then I received a phone interview on leadership and behavioral questions. Blew through that and asked some questions that the HR employee could not answer. Received an email later on and was flown down to Fort Worth/Dallas, Texas for the hiring event and interview. Very nice event in which I learned a lot from the company and could get to know other students (200 students looking for a job with BNSF) as well as employees.
    The interview was in a room with a panel (2-3 recruiters) who asked questions that were simple about leadership roles/behavior and I actually expected more difficult questions and wish they had so I could better portray myself, but oh well.

Took a little over a week to receive a response.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in November 2014.

I applied online then received a call to schedule a phone interview a few weeks later. The interview I had was behavioral and the interviewer was very cold and quick. I soon realized that they outsource this part of the process which can explain why the interviewer was so fast, emotionless, and why the interviewer did not know any specifics about the position or company. About 10 days later I found out that I was invited to the final interview. The final interview was a two day process at a hotel in Westlake, TX. We had a presentation on the company, took a psychological/behavioral assessment, then had dinner with everyone. The next day we had a single interview throughout the day and a drug test then was able to leave soon afterwards.

Interview Questions

I received a more competitive offer that was more aligned with my interests and goals.

Statistician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

scheduled a phone interview for about 40 mins. 2 people asking basic statistics questions, machine learning techniques, compare different techniques. A simple case asking how to build model and interpret results to a non-statistician. feel like that they are very interested in concepts which means that you need to memorize a lot of things . nothing about statistical programming.