BNSF Railway Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

Applied online to the program and then didn't hear anything for around 3 weeks at which time a HR/recruitment person contacted me. A time was agreed upon but then a few days later a different employee emails me asking for an interview. The phone interview went well but one of the things the company asked of its candidates were them to be flexible but the next step in the process was to travel to their headquarters. These travel dates were 100% fixed, no flexibility.

Interview Questions

• We look for employees to be flexible, can you demonstrate a time when you were flexible?
      Can you show a time you showed good leadership skills?

The rest were typical interview questions like the ones above

Answer Question

Trackman Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

Interview process was very long, I applied online and was emailed a couple weeks later after the online test. I interviewed in Houston Texas at the double tree hotel, there was over 100 people there for 40 positions. The whole process took 8 plus hours long from the orientation speech to the hair drug sample which took the longest 3+ hours of standing in line, I was lucky to only get a interview board of 1 person and she was very nice but strict. Most of the interviews was 3 panels. Advice I can give you is use study questions and mock interview questions before you go, dress nice and smell clean and remember your not interviewing at home depot or Mickey D's

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a disagreement with a supervisor or co worker, and how did you react.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

1) Apply Online
    2) 1-2 Weeks later contacted by HR, Setup phone interview
    3) Phone Interview with basic questions, invited to attend hiring event during phone interview.
    4) Attended two day hiring event in Fort Worth, Air Fair and hotel where paid for. Large quantity of candidates for a very limited number of positions
    5) Got results back the following week

Interview Questions

• They only asked four behavior based interview questions. Make sure you have very well thought out answers for many different questions. You must be willing to relocate anywhere for a position. I was told during the phone interview they wouldn't offer me a position somewhere I wouldn't be happy. However during the interview they basically told me I wouldn't have a chance at getting hired in the Northwest where I wanted to be.So it was essentially a waist of my time. Got a better position with another company.   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minot, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Minot, ND).

Interview

Online app, and assessment test then just a waiting game. If you really do want into the industry be willing to relocate its your best change to get the upper hand! Minot, ND needs people bad. Went to a hiring session for 45 positions and only eight people showed up. One guy was two hours late, missed the whole thing and they still hired him. So if you don't mind a move and putting time in the trenches in nowhere land all you gotta do is show up and you got the job. Everyone got an offer!

Interview Questions

• To be truthful at this location they know how bad they need folks and the interviewers weren't even taking the whole this serious.   Answer Question

I accepted another Rail job in a better location.

Technology Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I was asked to do a phone interview soon after applying. The phone interview was short, and I was told that they would make a decision within 2 weeks. However, it wasn't until 3 weeks later that they contacted me again to invite me to the 2-day interview event in Fort Worth. I have yet to attend the event but I will soon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked on a project that took a significant amount of planning.   Answer Question

Management Trainee (Structures) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway in February 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with BNSF at a college recruiting event. During the interview they invited me for the second round interview in ft worth TX. The second interview consisted of 2 interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict in a group or team you were in charge of.
      Tell us about a time you were faced with a challenge and a deadline and how did you deal with it.

Answer Question

Mechanical Foreman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

You have to pay out of pocket to go to interview if out of state. Usually a panel of 3, they ask the basic questions. Be sure to answer every question.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where people didn't like you what did you do?   1 Answer
    • What type of experience do you have with working on a team?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations at all with this company.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BNSF Railway in January 2015.

Interview

Very long process but I think itll be worth it in the end. I have seen on this site that there are pros and cons about this company. But nothing can be any worse than where I work now. I am used to long hours and time away from home. It'll be nice to get rewarded for it now.

Boilermaker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNSF Railway (Topeka, KS) in January 2015.

Interview

I recently attended a hiring session in Topeka Ks. Only a handful of us, we went through the job description as well as personal interviews. Drug testing and that was pretty much it. The people weren't too bad. I have been to a few in the last few years and they were alot worse. As I felt the process went fairly well I still didn't get the position. Seems as if I can get invited to these hiring sessions with no problem but I can't get past that. My physical appearance; I am a big guy. However, I've never had a problem handling my weight. Which proves in my resume and current job, but I can't help but feel that maybe that's why I haven't made it on to the next level of the hiring process it can be quite discouraging.

Interview Questions

• What shift do I prefer to work, first, second, or third   1 Answer

Experienced First Line Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

They called for the phone interview and that went well. Then they invited me to the second interview. All expenses paid trip to ft worth, Tx. They only ask three question. Over a month later final got an answer that I was not chosen. Better luck next time I guess.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if a task went wrong?   1 Answer