BNSF Railway

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview Details – one single interview

Interview Question – what is your greatest weakness   Answer Question

Interviewed at BNSF Railway

Interview Details – Took multiple weeks, but kept you posted in a timely manner.

Management Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview Details – Very polite and professional. The interview questions pertained to behavior and leadership roles. I am currently awaiting a second interview.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you were working in a group and things did not go as planned? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2013.

Interview Details – I first heard of the company at on-campus career expo. There, I gave them my resume and was contacted about a week later via email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of about 3-4 basic behavioral questions. Following the phone interview I was contacted again via email to attend a two-day hiring event in Fort Worth, TX.
The two day hiring event agenda:
Day 1: BNSF & Management Trainee overview presentation, "Watson-Glaser" critical thinking assessment (about 1.25 hrs), First line supervisor assessment (1 hour), realistic job previews (presentations on the job's activities and tasks).
Day 2: Interview (30 minutes per candidate) consisted of four behavioral questions- really basic nothing technical, and finally drug testing (hair sample).

Interview Question – How did you resolve a confrontation between you and colleague?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BNSF Railway in October 2012.

Interview Details – I talk to them at the career fair and then they called me a few days later and i did a phone interview. after the phone interview they called me back to do an interview in Dallas. the interview process is two days long. the first day they make you take two critical thinking test. the next day you interview with HR and they ask you basic behavior question.

Interview Question – the critical thinking test. more then one answer can be correct so you have to be careful at picking the right one.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BNSF Railway in February 2010.

Interview Details – They flew me down to Ft. Worth, Texas for an interview. It was for the Mechanical Management Trainee Position. There was a critical thinking test and an IQ type test. Neither of them were too hard. The next day I had a panel type interview with 3 of their employees. They took turns asking me about 6 questions about How I handle conflict with authority, and when did you have to persuade someone to do something that they didn't want to do.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a conflict with one of your teammates. How did you handle the situation? What was the outcome? You think you could have done anything differently?   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BNSF Railway in October 2009.

Interview Details – Process began as a corporate intern which included actual responsibilities, end-of-summer presentation, skills test, and reviews from superiors. Excellent reviews lead to an offer in the corporate office. The corporate culture is laid back (no coat-n-tie), but the employees are the best in the industry, demand results, and rely on team work. Excellent company to work for. The people are fantastic, the rewards are above average, they highly value employee development (move departments/positions every 18 months).

Interview Question – What are some challenges you have faced with projects, how did you overcome those obstacles, and what was the project's results?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation with more applicants that positions, it wouldn't be advisable to leverage opportunity. The offer was considerably more than other offers in equivalent industries.

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview Details – I submitted my application, and within a few days I was contacted by someone in the company to have a phone interview. After I passed the phone interview, I was contacted by Hector to continue with the interview process. I had to book my flight and hotel through a third-party that they outsourced the work to. Although I had some complications with it, the problem was fixed for me at the last minute. The place I stayed at was beautiful, and they took care of me well. The first day was the tests and learning about the company. The second day was the interview. I thought it went great; however I was not offered a position with them.

Interview Question – They asked a lot of questions about groupwork or problems that might occur when in a team.   Answer Question

Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2012.

Interview Details – First you submit your application online. Then about two weeks later you are notified that they want to schedule a phone interview with you. If you pass that phase they will bring you out to dallas for another interview. On the first day you take a personality/IQ test. If you dont pass this phase you will not be able to continue the interviewing process

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at BNSF Railway

Worked for BNSF Railway? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BNSF Railway Management Trainee interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by BNSF Railway employees and interview candidates.