BNY Mellon Interview Questions & Reviews

2.5

Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at BNY Mellon in June 2014.

Found this role through my school's career site. Applied and got a call back. Initial interview was a phone interview with the hiring manager. That interview was pretty typical (I listed the challenging question below.) I had to wait three weeks for my next interview with another associate (not hiring manager). Then another three weeks to get my on-site interview with the hiring manager. I thought that would be my final round interview, but he wanted a marketing associate to interview me, however, she was not in the office that day. So he said that he would set up a call with me and her for 1/2 hour. He never did set that call up. I contacted the recruiter who I was working with to let her know (via email) and it went ignored. Finally, I called her and she told me she wasn't the recruiter for this role (even though she was the one who first contacted me and set up all three previous interviews). Few weeks later I got an automated email notifying me that I did not get the position.

Let me add that I did not get reimbursed for my trip to Pittsburgh (my trip was 2.5 hours one-way, therefore 5 hours total). And I had done an earlier interview with BNY Mellon for another role (thus, different hiring manager), also no reimbursement.

Personally, while I thought the interviews were pretty straight forward, it was the lack of response and reimbursement that leads me to disrespect this company.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the first 12 months of starting here (without guidance from the manager)?   View Answer

Private Banking Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at BNY Mellon.

I had an interview scheduled after I was urged to rearrange my schedule to go into the office to meet with a team for an approximately 3 hour long interview process. I rearranged my schedule for the following week to take the day off for the multiple rounds of interviews. The evening before my interviews, I received an email from one of the recruiters stating that they had to cancel my interview because they had identified a candidate for the position. I followed up regarding any other opportunities that were in line with my background and she stated that there were none.
    I would have appreciated the courtesy to be considered for the position at least especially after I rearranged my work schedule, had cancelled appointments to accommodate this company, and was prepared to travel a distance to interview.
    Positions that were identical to the position that i originally was to be interviewed for were posted online and I applied and emailed the two hiring managers that I was originally in contact with regarding my application. I never heard from them nor received any follow up or consideration and it's left a terrible impression in my mind regarding the company, how it treats candidates for its positions, and its hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was pretty predictable. Typical work experience questions and how they correlate with the position.   View Answer

Fix Income Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at BNY Mellon in March 2014.

This is a 4 rounds interview. Questions including technical questions including BS model, algorithm and brain teaser. I talked to 2 associates and a team leader and the manager. All of them have different questions.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at BNY Mellon.

First Interview was over the phone. Came in to interview at the NY corporate building twice with varius VPs of two different groups. Got the offer two weeks after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone asked me to tell them a little bit about myself.   View Answer
    Fixed pay of 18/hr and that was it. No negotiation.

Account Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon.

I was asked to walk through my resume, describe relevant job and internship experience. HR gives the interviewers a list of questions, like "What is your greatest weakness" and "Describe an instance in which you overcame a problem" but a lot of the managers won't ask them because they think it's a waste of their time. There were no technical or industry specific questions, which surprised me.

Always negotiate and you can get at least $1000 more. I definitely dropped the ball on that one because I figured since they knew my last salary, I couldn't get more than what they offered. From asking around, I was wrong.

Intern - Hourly Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at BNY Mellon.

I sent my resume after seeing a posting at school. I received a call two days later from a recruiter and we spoke for about fifteen minutes. We set up an interview for a few days later. The interview was in two parts, but it was very laid back. Both of the interviewers did not seem to really care because they were not really involved (I haven't seen either of them in the office...ever). After the interview I did not know how to feel, but the recruiter called me back within three days and gave me the offer. I had two days to accept and go take a drug test. After that I did not hear anything until my start date.

Interview Questions
    • The two interviewers had packets that they read the questions from. Neither of the packets really related to anything I do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Fund Accountant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon.

The interview process was very straight forward, I was first contacted by the recruiter, about a week later I had an interview with three senior managers back to back each lasting about a half hour. Two weeks after that I had HR call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • This was an entry level position so the questions were geared more towards my education and why Mellon.   Answer Question
    Tried to negotiate but couldn't get a higher offer.

Alternative Investments Administrator Interview

Interview over the phone because of long distance. They were very interested in Excel expertise. After the interview process, everything was handled through the HR department. Interview process was very minimal.

Interview Questions
    • After multiple years in the workforce I was surprised to still be asked my GPA.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate anything.

Quality Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at BNY Mellon in December 2010.

I met with the Site Manager and the group manager for about a half hour. It was pretty informal and laid back. There was not much emphasis on qualifications. More of a personality evaluation. The main thing that I believe helped was being personable and being able to handle questions without hesitation. There is no second interview, it is a one shot deal in the site manager's office. Even though no one on the floor is in a suit and tie, everyone that interviews is expected to do so for the interview. References are a must though. They called 4/6 of the references I have (3 professional and 1 of the 3 personal)

Interview Questions
    • They asked for an example of a time when someone you were working with was not pulling their weight. How did you react and was the issue resolved?   View Answer
    It was take it or leave it at $14/hour. Was fine with this since plenty of over time

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BNY Mellon in March 2013.

One in house interview. I spent the day rotating around different desks meeting people. Not really a formal interview, more of a meet and greet. I went in around March but did not receive the official offer until Memorial Day Weekend.

No negotiation

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!