BNY Mellon

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sourcing Manager Interview

Sourcing Manager
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at BNY Mellon in June 2014.

Interview Details – Found this role through my school's career site. Applied and got a call back. Initial interview was a phone interview with the hiring manager. That interview was pretty typical (I listed the challenging question below.) I had to wait three weeks for my next interview with another associate (not hiring manager). Then another three weeks to get my on-site interview with the hiring manager. I thought that would be my final round interview, but he wanted a marketing associate to interview me, however, she was not in the office that day. So he said that he would set up a call with me and her for 1/2 hour. He never did set that call up. I contacted the recruiter who I was working with to let her know (via email) and it went ignored. Finally, I called her and she told me she wasn't the recruiter for this role (even though she was the one who first contacted me and set up all three previous interviews). Few weeks later I got an automated email notifying me that I did not get the position.

Let me add that I did not get reimbursed for my trip to Pittsburgh (my trip was 2.5 hours one-way, therefore 5 hours total). And I had done an earlier interview with BNY Mellon for another role (thus, different hiring manager), also no reimbursement.

Personally, while I thought the interviews were pretty straight forward, it was the lack of response and reimbursement that leads me to disrespect this company.

Interview Question – What would you do in the first 12 months of starting here (without guidance from the manager)?   View Answer

Fix Income Trader Interview

Fix Income Trader
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at BNY Mellon in March 2014.

Interview Details – This is a 4 rounds interview. Questions including technical questions including BS model, algorithm and brain teaser. I talked to 2 associates and a team leader and the manager. All of them have different questions.

Interview Question – deduce BS model   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Summer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview Details – First Interview was over the phone. Came in to interview at the NY corporate building twice with varius VPs of two different groups. Got the offer two weeks after the second interview.

Interview Question – Everyone asked me to tell them a little bit about myself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Fixed pay of 18/hr and that was it. No negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Analyst Interview

Account Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview Details – I was asked to walk through my resume, describe relevant job and internship experience. HR gives the interviewers a list of questions, like "What is your greatest weakness" and "Describe an instance in which you overcame a problem" but a lot of the managers won't ask them because they think it's a waste of their time. There were no technical or industry specific questions, which surprised me.

Negotiation Details – Always negotiate and you can get at least $1000 more. I definitely dropped the ball on that one because I figured since they knew my last salary, I couldn't get more than what they offered. From asking around, I was wrong.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Intern - Hourly

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview Details – I sent my resume after seeing a posting at school. I received a call two days later from a recruiter and we spoke for about fifteen minutes. We set up an interview for a few days later. The interview was in two parts, but it was very laid back. Both of the interviewers did not seem to really care because they were not really involved (I haven't seen either of them in the office...ever). After the interview I did not know how to feel, but the recruiter called me back within three days and gave me the offer. I had two days to accept and go take a drug test. After that I did not hear anything until my start date.

Interview Question – The two interviewers had packets that they read the questions from. Neither of the packets really related to anything I do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Fund Accountant Interview

Fund Accountant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straight forward, I was first contacted by the recruiter, about a week later I had an interview with three senior managers back to back each lasting about a half hour. Two weeks after that I had HR call with an offer.

Interview Question – This was an entry level position so the questions were geared more towards my education and why Mellon.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tried to negotiate but couldn't get a higher offer.

Alternative Investments Administrator Interview

Alternative Investments Administrator

Interviewed at BNY Mellon

Interview Details – Interview over the phone because of long distance. They were very interested in Excel expertise. After the interview process, everything was handled through the HR department. Interview process was very minimal.

Interview Question – After multiple years in the workforce I was surprised to still be asked my GPA.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate anything.

Quality Control Analyst Interview

Quality Control Analyst
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BNY Mellon in December 2010.

Interview Details – I met with the Site Manager and the group manager for about a half hour. It was pretty informal and laid back. There was not much emphasis on qualifications. More of a personality evaluation. The main thing that I believe helped was being personable and being able to handle questions without hesitation. There is no second interview, it is a one shot deal in the site manager's office. Even though no one on the floor is in a suit and tie, everyone that interviews is expected to do so for the interview. References are a must though. They called 4/6 of the references I have (3 professional and 1 of the 3 personal)

Interview Question – They asked for an example of a time when someone you were working with was not pulling their weight. How did you react and was the issue resolved?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was take it or leave it at $14/hour. Was fine with this since plenty of over time

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BNY Mellon in March 2013.

Interview Details – One in house interview. I spent the day rotating around different desks meeting people. Not really a formal interview, more of a meet and greet. I went in around March but did not receive the official offer until Memorial Day Weekend.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Corporate Trust Administrator Interview

Corporate Trust Administrator
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BNY Mellon in February 2012.

Interview Details – I got the job thru recruiter. Group interview. My interview was scheduled for three interviwers but end up only two. It was original a rotation interview but end up both interviewers joined and asking all questions. I was very relaxed and A all answers. They offered the job right after the interview.

Interview Question – What is the function of Corporate Trust?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – easy

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!