BNY Mellon

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.5

Technology Interview

Very situational based interview. Lots of questions surrounding "name a time when you" in particular specifics. Overall a great company to work for, they are putting a lot of time into developing technology workers. Get exposed to a lot of different facets of the company throughout the interview process. Don't be afraid to take time to think if you can't come up with an answer right away.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you acted unethically and what would it have taken to act ethically   Answer Question

Technology Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

Applied through campus career site and had first interview on campus. Talked details about the program and my resume. Interviewer was nice. Had a case study and behavioral questions which were very standard. Told me I'd hear back in two weeks. Next step was interview on-site with 2 managers, 1 hour each. More technical questions

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you solved a technological problem that saved your place of business money.   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your understanding of the software development life cycle.   Answer Question
    • If I asked your boss for 3 adjectives to describe you, what would he/she say?   Answer Question

Tax Analyst Interview

I was recruited through my school's career department and was chosen to interview on site. The interview was more of a conversation to see what type of person I was and what my background was. Very few technical questions and it is important to ask many questions about the type of environment/workplace it is.

Interview Questions
    Take it or leave it. Gave me two days to respond.

Associate Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon in September 2014.

Received a call from a recruiter and submitted my resume on a Friday. Received a call back the following monday and interviewed that Wednesday. Received a call back from the recruiter on Friday getting a offer. Questions were very straight forward and was an easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Answer Question
    It is contract but could turn into permanent. Was offered twenty dollars an hour and agreed, no negotiation.

Private Banking Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BNY Mellon.

I had an interview scheduled after I was urged to rearrange my schedule to go into the office to meet with a team for an approximately 3 hour long interview process. I rearranged my schedule for the following week to take the day off for the multiple rounds of interviews. The evening before my interviews, I received an email from one of the recruiters stating that they had to cancel my interview because they had identified a candidate for the position. I followed up regarding any other opportunities that were in line with my background and she stated that there were none.
    I would have appreciated the courtesy to be considered for the position at least especially after I rearranged my work schedule, had cancelled appointments to accommodate this company, and was prepared to travel a distance to interview.
    Positions that were identical to the position that i originally was to be interviewed for were posted online and I applied and emailed the two hiring managers that I was originally in contact with regarding my application. I never heard from them nor received any follow up or consideration and it's left a terrible impression in my mind regarding the company, how it treats candidates for its positions, and its hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was pretty predictable. Typical work experience questions and how they correlate with the position.   View Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BNY Mellon.

First Interview was over the phone. Came in to interview at the NY corporate building twice with varius VPs of two different groups. Got the offer two weeks after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone asked me to tell them a little bit about myself.   View Answer
    Fixed pay of 18/hr and that was it. No negotiation.

Account Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

I was asked to walk through my resume, describe relevant job and internship experience. HR gives the interviewers a list of questions, like "What is your greatest weakness" and "Describe an instance in which you overcame a problem" but a lot of the managers won't ask them because they think it's a waste of their time. There were no technical or industry specific questions, which surprised me.

Always negotiate and you can get at least $1000 more. I definitely dropped the ball on that one because I figured since they knew my last salary, I couldn't get more than what they offered. From asking around, I was wrong.

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BNY Mellon.

I sent my resume after seeing a posting at school. I received a call two days later from a recruiter and we spoke for about fifteen minutes. We set up an interview for a few days later. The interview was in two parts, but it was very laid back. Both of the interviewers did not seem to really care because they were not really involved (I haven't seen either of them in the office...ever). After the interview I did not know how to feel, but the recruiter called me back within three days and gave me the offer. I had two days to accept and go take a drug test. After that I did not hear anything until my start date.

Interview Questions
    • The two interviewers had packets that they read the questions from. Neither of the packets really related to anything I do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Fund Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

The interview process was very straight forward, I was first contacted by the recruiter, about a week later I had an interview with three senior managers back to back each lasting about a half hour. Two weeks after that I had HR call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • This was an entry level position so the questions were geared more towards my education and why Mellon.   Answer Question
    Tried to negotiate but couldn't get a higher offer.

Alternative Investments Administrator Interview

Interview over the phone because of long distance. They were very interested in Excel expertise. After the interview process, everything was handled through the HR department. Interview process was very minimal.

Interview Questions
    • After multiple years in the workforce I was surprised to still be asked my GPA.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate anything.