BNY Mellon Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

2.6

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview Mistakes: It's easy to get sidetracked by a variety of factors during the interviewing process. Discover the largest pitfalls for interviewers and how to avoid them.
    Panel Interviews: Read about the most effective methods for carrying out panel interviews and when you might want to use them as part of your interviewing process.

Fund Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon in February 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Simple questions. Ask a little about you and your strengths and what you know about the position. Just know your job responsibilities and do your homework. Be sure to know what NAV is because that is a fundamental part of the job. They are more interested in finding someone that can learn new info and be able to retain that info than your work experience so be trainable and have an open mind. Overall an easy interview if you show your prepared and interested in learning more about the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      What are your stengths/weaknesses?
      What do you know about bonds?
      What is a mutual fund?
      What is NAV? How is it calculated?

Leadership Development Training Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon (State College, PA).

Interview

Applied through career fair, got an interview opportunity on campus 1:1, the recruiter was nice and the questions were just behavioral, there was a written problem on how to solve the problem of client crowding the banking management system.

Interview Questions

• basic behavior questions, tell me the development cycle of a software, and a written problem about how to speed up database.   Answer Question

Account Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview

There was no interview which took me by surprise. I went through a staffing agency called Modis. They asked if I would be interested, along with some basic questions and sent in my resume on my behalf. I was called back by the Modis recruiter within two weeks saying BNY Mellon wanted to make an offer for an Account Administrator W-2 contract to hire.

Interview Questions

• What is your skill level with Microsoft Office applications?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase since it was for a contract position.

Senior Systems Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview

First interview was via phone, next interview was a technical interview with a senior person. After you pass these two interviews you have interview with the manager and a senior manager. The process can be done in one day or spread of two or more days. Depending on the availability of the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Have you installed z/OS?
      What way did you installed Service Pack, System Pack or CBPDO?
      Have you installed a z Systems? If yes what one? What experience do you have BC12 or EC12?
      What ISV products do you have experience using and installing?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Their offer was what I was asking for so I accept the position.

ADP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university and had two rounds of interviews. The first was on campus with someone that had completed the program and focused primarily on my resume. There was a technical question about website optimization from a front-end, back-end, and database perspective, which was pretty easy. The interviewer was incredibly friendly, and would help you talk through your thought process and your answer.

I was invited back for their "Super Day" at their office in New York. I wasn't sure what to expect beforehand, but when I got there, I was informed that there would be two rounds of technical interviews. The first was a lot of very technical questions, but nothing that wasn't covered in my basic Computer Science courses. (ex. Write a program to find Fibonacci numbers, inheritance/encapsulation, BST, arrays vs. linked lists). The second interview was actually more behavioral than I expected, but seemed to be more focused on how you react to stressful situations and being put under pressure.

The two interviews lasted approximately 3 hours, and was actually pretty difficult due to the length and the amount of different questions that were asked. By the end of it I was sure I hadn't gotten the job, however I got a call back a few days later. Everyone I spoke to was extremely nice and easy to talk to, so even though the actual interview was exhausting, I never felt like I was being judged for not knowing something, as the interviewer would help you arrive at the answer on your own. I actually learned a lot!

Reading through interview questions on Glassdoor was extremely helpful when preparing for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to do a depth-first search traversal through a Binary Search Tree.   Answer Question

Sales Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied to a Sales Associate I position for the wealth management division in Chicago. The process moved along very smoothly. I initially had a phone screen that was used to get my background/experience and learn more about the role. I was then contacted a few days later to set up an in-person interview in Chicago.
    I drove to Chicago (which is always miserable) and met with a director about the role. He was very easy going and was more interested in learning about me and my interests instead of things that I had done in my previous roles. I think this is because it as a sales role. The job is basically to gain clients for the wealth management services that they offer. So anything from wining and dining to going to a ball game might be necessary. They want to make sure that they have someone who can hold conversations and can fit in with very wealthy people (the minimum to open an account is $3 million). Even though it's a sales role and has no financial planning or analyzing involved, be sure that you understand how that portion of BNY Mellon works. I then received an email a couple of weeks later saying that they hired someone else.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work in sales over X?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

Good interview asked about my résumé. Asked how I handled situations. In real past. Real relaxed describing the job. They did a good job communicating what to expect with day to day tasks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None first job took what I could get

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview

Applied online, got an email the next few days telling me to go to their office to do an interview.
    Went there, did the interview lasted about half-hour. Mostly telling me what the positions was and a couple questions about me. Thought I had a great interview but, they rejected me.

Hours 8pm-12am ( Seconds Shift)

Fund Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interview

Interview process took extremely long. Applied to the position through the career website and got an interview a month later. Interview went extremely well (5 different people). I got offered the position a month after the interview took place. They took too long to offer me the position, by the time they did I had already accepted a position elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What are your long term goals?
      What do you know about the position?