BNY Mellon

Relevance Date Difficulty

ETF Accountant Interview

ETF Accountant
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon in June 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed for Exchange Traded Funds Accountant position. I supposed to speak with 3 manager, each for 30 min. however, I spoke with only two and they said the 3rd was busy doing something and "some other time". The manager I spoke with was friendly and nice, asked me questions: Why BNY Mellon? and some finance questions: What is the difference between return of assets and return on income. Another question was could you tell me if bonds and common stock pay dividends? Very finance related questions.

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BNY Mellon in January 2009.

Interview Details – I did a formal interview once, then they ended up hiring someone else. A year and a half later, they called me back and I interviewed. It was much better, and I ended up getting the job. I went for an interview with the person I would soon call my boss, as well as the coworker I collaborated with.

Negotiation Details – Good. I knew what to ask for and I got it.

Very Easy Interview

Trust Administrator Interview

Trust Administrator
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon in July 2009.

Interview Details – The easiest interview ever. Got a call through career services at college and set up interview for next day. Went to Interview, had 3 one on one convesations with various managers and team leaders. Got a call the next day with an offer.
Most questions are about background and interests.

Interview Question – All questions were easy and expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Got an offer but negotiated an increase of 2K. Not much, but considering the company, i think it's an achievement. There is a huge turn-over at BNY. Don't be afraid to ask for higher salary, but do not give ultimatum. Better have plan B if negotiations don't go as planned.

Finance Associate Interview

Finance Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BNY Mellon in January 2009.

Interview Details – The role was applied online. Received the initial communication from HR to come in and meet with her. This interview was just consisted of skill sets. Questions were 1) Why I am interested in this role? 2) Expectation of Salary? 3) When can I start? Once this was done I met with the team members of the group. This was a group interview. Questions asked were 1) Explain about my past roles? 2) Why I would be fit for this role? 3) Experience dealing with clients in the specific market (Europe, middle east)? 4) How would I describe myself?

Interview Question – What challenges you?   Answer Question

Business Solution Interview

Business Solution
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon in April 2011.

Interview Details – I recently pursued an employment opportunity within the IT business unit; a formal offer and benefits package was presented to me verbally for an individual contributor role at a VP level. In the midst of the salary negotiations I inquired about general information related to compensation. That inquiry was 3 weeks ago; to date, I have not received any further communications related to the offer. I made several attempts to contact the HR representative handling the position recruitment with no response.

Unfortunately, I feel this is an example of lack of professionalism and poor communication. I wish the best of luck to any and all prospective new hires. My genuine hope is this is not the standard HR policy at BNY Mellon.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Lack of professionalism and poor communication by HR.

Securities Servicing Interview

Securities Servicing
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BNY Mellon in March 2011.

Interview Details – First round was a telephone screen with HR people, few easy questions, like "what you do at your current job", "how much do you make" and "why you looking for leave your current"

The second round consisted of a series of four interviews. All four interviews pretty much all just repeat similar questions from the phone screen.

Interview Question – Why you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BNY Mellon in February 2010.

Interview Details – Basic questions on the phone nothing too challenging. Interview process in the office consisted of 1 HR interview followed by interviewing with the two bosses that I would be working with. Process went smoothly and was all very conversational in nature. Got the offer in the end and acceded it

Interview Question – logic questions about right angles   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

Managing Director
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BNY Mellon in January 2011.

Interview Details – Very detailed, involving attorneys and business subject matter experts

Interview Question – None, all question pertained to subject matter expertise   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very direct, no nonsense.

Financial Markets Treasury Services Intern Interview

Financial Markets Treasury Services Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BNY Mellon in April 2010.

Interview Details – Fit Interview:

Name an instance where you overcame a challenge

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

What are you looking for in this internship?

Fund Accountant Interview

Fund Accountant
New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BNY Mellon in January 2011.

Interview Details – It was pretty easy, Standard question, What are you weaknesses, strengths, biggest obstacles?

Interview Question – What has been your biggest obstacle and how you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very limited for Entry Level