BNY Mellon

2.4

50 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

Started with phone screening -- 5 minute call. Then a 60 minute phone interview. Traveled to NYC and interviewed with hiring manager. Then traveled to Pittsburgh and interviewed with 4 direct reports.

Get salary, bonus, relocation, incentives, and job description in writing. Sounds like a non sequitur but I found that things they told me to be "givens" turned out later to have contingencies. Like the signing bonus was not available for 3 years.

Securities Settlement Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BNY Mellon in October 2014.

I applied through monster.com and was in talks with a recruiter through another company. The recruiter got me the interview with BNY. The interview was pretty standard. Job related questions and personal attribute questions. The man I was meeting with was quite angry that I showed up early, that really confused me.

Interview Questions
    • What's your biggest weakness? Very standard, but always difficult.   Answer Question

I received another job offer.

Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BNY Mellon in June 2014.

Found this role through my school's career site. Applied and got a call back. Initial interview was a phone interview with the hiring manager. That interview was pretty typical (I listed the challenging question below.) I had to wait three weeks for my next interview with another associate (not hiring manager). Then another three weeks to get my on-site interview with the hiring manager. I thought that would be my final round interview, but he wanted a marketing associate to interview me, however, she was not in the office that day. So he said that he would set up a call with me and her for 1/2 hour. He never did set that call up. I contacted the recruiter who I was working with to let her know (via email) and it went ignored. Finally, I called her and she told me she wasn't the recruiter for this role (even though she was the one who first contacted me and set up all three previous interviews). Few weeks later I got an automated email notifying me that I did not get the position.

Let me add that I did not get reimbursed for my trip to Pittsburgh (my trip was 2.5 hours one-way, therefore 5 hours total). And I had done an earlier interview with BNY Mellon for another role (thus, different hiring manager), also no reimbursement.

Personally, while I thought the interviews were pretty straight forward, it was the lack of response and reimbursement that leads me to disrespect this company.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the first 12 months of starting here (without guidance from the manager)?   View Answer

Summer Intern - Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon in May 2014.

Applied online, heard back from those that wanted an interview as well as those I was declined from. Interview process was very simple. 3 interviewers, mostly asked questions about my resume and talked about the current projects they were working on and if I would be able to contribute. Overall very easy. Interviewers were very laid back and personable.

I didn't negotiate but I think you can.

Client Accounting and Reporting Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNY Mellon in May 2014.

Interview was very relaxed, one on one with a team supervisor and the hiring manager (although in my particular case, he was out for the day). Took place in a private conference room and lasted roughly 30 minutes. Primarily a conversation; wanted to figure out if I would fit into the group atmosphere. Also discussed proficiency in Microsoft Excel (this is imperative to the job) and general understanding of the financial industry as a whole (less imperative, but still important - you will be trained thoroughly on these subjects).

Interview Questions
    • How do you present/deliver difficult information to clients?   Answer Question
    This is an entry-level position, do not expect to negotiate.

Financial Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNY Mellon in April 2014.

Applied directly to a posting on the company website, and was called for an interview. I only interviewed with the hiring manager - no one else was invited into the interview to give another opinion, and I did not get to interview with the hiring manager's boss. The interview was a little rushed and I did not get to finish asking my questions. The hiring manager asked me to email the rest of my questions, which I did. I never got a response to that email, nor have I heard anything from anyone at BNY since.

Interview Questions
    • Very little specific information about the position was offered beforehand, so I had to do all of my own research. This made it difficult to prepare for specific questions.   View Answer

Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

Applied and didn't get a response for nearly 6 months. After getting a phone call back they asked for me to reapply. See, often the Account Managers sit on a pile of resumes and sift through them when their workload is lighter in the middle of the month. Remember, if they bring you in they have to like you, because the majority of new hires are often brought in as temps and make their way into the company that way.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your old job? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    There isnt!

Insurance Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

Interviewed and got a call back within 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    Lateral Movement, refused to up my pay.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BNY Mellon.

talk to recruiter, interview. wasnt too hard but its not your typical interview, the people who do it are very very young

Software Systems Specialist II, Mainframe Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BNY Mellon in February 2014.

Applied online, HR called to schedule a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was with the hiring manager the week after that. The next week I interviewed in person, and after another week I was extended an offer. Overall a good experience, I felt welcomed by all the employees, and the interviews were not intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • Having no database background academically, I was caught by surprise by the focus on it with 3 or 4 very specific questions on SQL.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation