BP

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chemical Engineer Intern Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through school recruitment website and received an on-campus internview through its pre-selection process. They were also on campus for infosessions and career fairs and I talked on a few about their experience at BP. But they were only hiring for the soon-to-be sold carson refinery.

Interview Question – The technical question about a long pipe with elevation differences. What needed to be consider for building the pipeline. How would temperature affect it? What would its long length (~100 miles) affect it?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – I guess my process was not out of the usual. I am a student from Puerto Rico and they have many full-time employees from our university so it is easier to get to know them. They picked my resume and we had casual conversation about my studies and I was doing in my current co-op (currently working at Eastman Chemical Co.). After a few day the interview was scheduled and when I got there they were really nice, with snacks and everything. It was a 1:1. The interview consisted of 1 hour, 30 minutes of STAR method questions (behavioral) and 30 minutes of technical questions based on a situation (my was a distillation column process). The asked many times what was it that you would like to do if an offer came up. I got an offer 1/2 based on my requests and 1/2 on my best part of the interview so they keep in mind what are you strong and weak points. Great interview, makes you feel accomplished.

Interview Question – What would you do to condense your distillate if you are in the middle of the dessert (100F) and you have no cooling water (which is the typical case)?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, necessary. Their benefits are great.

Chemical Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in October 2009.

Interview Details – 90 min long interview. Half behavoiral/half technical. Technical question was vague and poorly presented. Seemed interested in just listening to thinking process and made it awkward to end talking. Extended job offer via phone call within 7-10 days after interview. No dinner with interviewees and recruiters on the day of interview as is often common here for other companies. Come armed with stories to reference during behavioral section.

Interview Question – What is something unique that you can bring to BP?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BP

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP Chemical Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by BP employees and interview candidates.