BP Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.2

IST Sophomore Experienxe Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BP (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I received an email telling me I would have a phone interview in the coming days. Kind of short notice. I set up a time that worked for me. My interviewer called approximately 3-4 min after my scheduled time. He told me about himself and proceeded to ask me questions. He asked about 5 questions two of which I had prepared answers for which was great. In all, it lasted around 20 min. At the end, he asked if I had any questions. I hear back in about two weeks.

Settlement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BP (Warrenville, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

the process took three to four weeks since I submitted my online application , got initial application review email , then got welcome letter moving forward to light phone interview , forward to formal interview , it was all about behavioral questions .. but the hiring manager was decided who she will hire ( Network I guess ) thats why she didn't pay attention to my interview and being rude even though I'm an MBA finance certificate holder .. her assistant was handling the interview .

Interview Questions

• it was all about behavioral attitude and how you act against problems at work .. which makes me wonder that anyone can tell lies and lies and make himself a hero to get a chance for this job !!   1 Answer

Area Process Safety Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whiting, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BP (Whiting, IN) in January 2015.

Interview

Followed by the book the behavorial interview technique. Interviewed five candidates in the span of five days. In my case an "Ex" BP employee showed up as the sixth candidate and got the job. Funny thing is he had NO experience in the area. Makes me doubt the whole process as rigged.

Interview Questions

• Tell an instance where you had to make an unpopular decision and how did your justify it? What was the result and why   1 Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BP (Warrenville, IL).

Interview

The hiring process required one phone interview and one face-to-face interview in front of a panel. The face-to-face interview included more than 10 questions, one right after another. The questions were on personal work experience, and the related future role, which in this case was related to strategy. Case studies were used during the interview.

Interview Questions

• One question was on how depreciation expense affects the income statement.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to increase my signing bonus a little bit by negotiating with the hiring manager.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BP (Naperville, IL).

Interview

Interview is grueling. In short, you can be masterful for the job itself, but if you don't answer the questions correctly, which have barely anything to do with the job itself, then you are quickly eliminated. For example, if you are applying to be a financial analyst, you may be asked to talk about a time when you needed to sell a difficult decision, or talk about how you respond to time crunches…..you aren't asked if you can actually crunch numbers!!!

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you have identified a risk to operational/project delivery. What was the risk and how did you identify it? Why did you consider it to be a risk? What action did you take? How did your actions affect the operational/project delivery? What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. BP is well aware of their size and "big league" mentality. They are aware there is 1000 applicants for every job. If you don't like it, then move aside because someone else will take what you don't want.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BP (Naperville, IL).

Interview

Interviewed with 4 people, including 2 potential peers, the hiring manager and a "stakeholder. The process was very standard. Mostly it was a review of my resume and a lot of "how would you handle this situation" type of questions. It is important to make sure you research the company though. It has a rich history and is very complex. They are looking for folks that can handle that.

Negotiation

The offer was better than I expected

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BP (Warrenville, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Hiring process is extremely slow and without feedback on where they are in the process. Interview process was a panel interview with no time allocated for the interviewee to ask questions. Role play is also part of the interview process. Prepare to act through what it is that they expect you to do in "real" life. I was very excited about the role, however, I received two offers while waiting for BP to make a decision. I declined as the salary was significantly lower then the two offers that I received. The three roles were comparable in responsibility and level of experience.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. Workspace was a surprise. Maybe it's a new concept. No more cubicles, just a chair. All seating is visible. No offices or cubicles. Carpet squares are bright and multi-colored, which gives it a pre-school feel. If you need to meet, you have to do it in the cafeteria.   Answer Question

Salary significantly lower than offers received.

Research Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BP (Naperville, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I was recruited out of a career fair at my school. My resume was passed along, I was emailed in less than two weeks to set up a phone interview. Interviewer told me that there were 20 people interviewed on the phone. I found out that I was getting an on-site interview by the end of the week. The on-site interview was 2-3 weeks later. I presented a 50 minute presentation on my thesis work. I had several interviews with teams of one or two all day. All questions were behavioral yet technical at the same time. They want to hire someone that can work with people at all levels, outgoing, overachieving, intelligent, ethical, moral, and personable. They will ask you the same question 2-3 times that day so you can change answer or clarify later. I met mostly with other research scientists and once with HR. By the way, THE OTHER THREE FINAL CANDIDATES WERE THERE ON THE SAME DAY. You see them, have lunch, stay at the same hotel, have the HR benefits presentation with them. Don't get freaked out, be genial, not personal with other candidates. At the end of the day, they told us that we would know if we had the job or not the next day. The next day, I received an email to schedule a follow up phone interview with my would-be line manager about mostly technical questions and why I wanted to work for an oil company. The next day, he called me, told me I had the job, explained the benefits, and had 10 days to decide. I accepted. It was an EXTREMELY fair process. BP's travel agency works with you to create a seamless trip and they put you up in the best accommodations, refund all expenses you incur.

Interview Questions

• When did you have to use influence to make a colleague see your point of view to complete the project?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked my connections at the company if the compensation was fair, they said it was a very high offer. I decided not to negotiate. Furthermore, the negotiation process for people just coming out of school is extremely complicated. BP offered me 20-35% more than Exxon and Shell offer for the same position. Everyone is well paid. My offer was contingent on passing a background check and a full drug test (hair, etc). Don't even attempt to work for BP if you have been a user of drugs, drunk driver, etc.

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whiting, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BP (Whiting, IN) in September 2013.

Interview

Required to fill out an application online that included specific questions regardless related work experiences. that met the requirements of the position. Contacted by the recruiter and participated in a 30 minute phone screen. By the end of the day, was contacted to schedule a face to face interview by the Recruitment Coordinator. The interview was a panel interview with behavioral questions. Very little time left to ask questions but it was allowed.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest thing you think you will have to learn to get acclimated?   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BP (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Its a long process.
    1. Phone interview with to confirm basic information.
    2. Face to face interview with prospective team, I had 2 difference meetings back to back with some team members conferenced in via phone.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really to difficult just be prepared to answer basic behavior situation questions based off STAR interview. They did supply me with a emailed copy of the STAR form.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Still waiting to hear back but very confident that I will get it