BP

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's on campus recruiting in early September. I received an interview about a week later. There was a company dinner the night before that helped the candidates understand more about the company culture. The interviewers were all nice and helpful.

Interview Question – The interview was two part. The behavioral section was pretty predictable

-A time you thought on our feet
-A time you received good advice from a mentor

The technical section was more difficult than I had expected and asked the candidates to do a times assignment of moving gas in and out of storage to meet supply and demand and the instructions were a little confusing.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My personality doesn't fit with the high-stakes trader career. I chose a financial analyst position for BP.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call a few days later to schedule the interview. Interview panel of five people, very informal, made me feel very comfortable and at ease. Most questions are behavioral, about providing examples of specific scenarios or situations from your past job experience. Questions will vary according to the role you apply for. Use the STAR method as a guide to answer any of the questions. If your answer is incomplete, expect follow up questions.

Interview Question – Just in general, be very prepared for the typical "Why should you get this job? What makes you the top candidate? What differentiates you from the other candidates?"   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application online, asked to interview at campus career fair, then asked to travel to office location for another couple days of interviews and orientations.

Interview Question – I had an unimpressive undergrad GPA thanks to my first couple years of college. Halfway through the interview, the lead interviewer dropped his scripted questions on the table in exasperation. He then asked me why I was even there with such a lousy GPA considering that most of my peers were 4.0 students. He followed up by grilling me on each class on my transcript in which I received a grade lower than a B.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Warrenville, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in January 2011.

Interview Details – Easy process

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2011.

Interview Details – it was a 1.5 hours interview. first part was behavioral, second part was technic

Negotiation Details – it was an internship offer, no negociation

Houston, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at BP in September 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an online application after meeting the recruiters at my campus. When I heard I was invited to a final interview, I signed up online. A couple days prior to the interview I attended a pre-interview dinner that was mostly social, but the recruiters also asked a few preliminary questions about my interest in the job. The interview was with a panel of two employees at about 1 1/2 hours long - it was pretty intense. There were a few intro questions about myself, a behavioral portion, and then a technical portion which consisted of a really simple case study of a problem that I may face in the job.

Interview Questions

• What about your major(s) do you find most useful and what do you find least useful?   Answer Question
  • Give an example of an experience that shows your business acumen and ability to solve problems to maximize utility.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in March 2010.

Interview Details – Fairly vanilla interview process. Standard 1:1 meeting with division supervisor to discuss prior experience, perceived strengths and weaknesses

Interview Question – Why do you think we should hire you - what do you bring to the table   Answer Question

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in October 2012.

Interview Details – online application - online assessment - phone interview - group interview

Interview Question – comprehensive case related to transportation of natural gas   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interviews are behavioral and situational based. Confidence OK, but BP does not like too cocky. You must be pro diversity which is simple enough. Advancing at BP may require moving nationally or internationally, so if you are mobile make it known, and if you are not, keep it to yourself. Some people are starting to get skills tests, but some do not. So there might be an Excel, general math, accounting test,...etc. for some basic roles. But other interviews are situational and behavioral only, but be careful to gauge your audience and see if they want skill or behavior, and tailor your answer accordingly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person and how you solved it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you worked in a group and had to find a compromise.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – not a promotion

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in June 2008.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of behavioural interviews. Key was to show how you think, that you have an analytical mind. Expressing interest in company was a big help. 2 round did have minor financial skills questions. interviewers are particularly interested in leadership and achievement. i gave several examples of both. offer came about a week later over the phone.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you failed.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BP

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP Financial Analyst interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by BP employees and interview candidates.