BP Geologist Interview Questions

4.0

Geologist Interview

Interview

They are nice. The interview is as long as 120 minute. They will follow a question sheet, and ask you behavior questions and technical questions. For geologists, seismic interpretation is necessary here. There is no answer for your interpretation.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for BP

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX).

Interview

Many offers are given at college interviews or at the end of an internship. They will only talk to top 10% and Masters+ students. Hiring goals constantly change hence some offers get rescinded. Focus answers around actual achievements, being a team player, and passion for the business and learning. Research and a thesis that are industry related is major plus.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked to give examples of something you proposed where you made a difference. It could be a better flow around tables in a restaurant, just something that shows action. There are proposed questions for an interviewer but it's up to him/her as to what to ask. Most ask how you handled a difficult boss or someone you worked with. BP doesn't like conflict and wants folk who can resolve issues not create them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have the most leverage when accepting a new job, after that it's a statistical play. Be reasonable but if it's really important then ask. They might say OK.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

BP is one of the only companies that seems to be concerned with your technical skills when interviewing you. As a geologist, I was shown seismic lines and asked to interpret them. Other than this technical aspect, the rest of the interview was pretty standard. It lasted about 45 minutes, and also included the standard questions about leadership and conflict resolution (be prepared to give examples from your past).

Interview Questions

• I was given a seismic line, and asked to interpret it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

Two separate interviews, one with human resources and one with the specialized team. Human resources interview asked basic interview questions i.e. tell me about working with someone that you didn't get along with, why do you want to work here etc. The interview with the specialists/scientists tested your skills, questioned your research and asked some basic questions i.e. tell me about yourself.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to meet a deadline, but didn't have enough time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in December 2010.

Interview

First there was a phone interview which took approximately 45 minutes. Consisted of usual situational interview questions. On-site interview consisted of a 1 on 1 skills test where I had to look at an outcrop and explain everything I could deduce from it, possibilities for production, etc. With a 2nd person, gave them a presentation of my Master's Thesis work. Lastly there was a campus tour. Lasted from ~10am to 2pm. Really friendly people and HR was great about answering questions. Really great experience even though I wasn't extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the extracurricular activity you are most interested in or proud of? Why did you get involved in this?   Answer Question
    • I see your dissertation / thesis was on [blank], could you walk me through it in layman's terms?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in January 2009.

Interview

Company paid for flight and hotel costs. Was asked questions pertaining to chemical engineering major when I was interviewing for a geology/science position...very disorganized and unprofessional interviewer for the technical interview.

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BP in October 2011.

Interview

I was offered the interview prior to a recent job fair. They make you complete a lengthy online application compared to similar companies. I thought the interview was extremely impersonal. They simply read questions off of a form they have in front of them and write down your answers. There is no real discussion or individualized questions. It felt very impersonal.

Interview Questions

• They ask you an analyze a seismic line.   1 Answer