BP

BP Geologist Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BP in September 2011.

Interview Details – BP is one of the only companies that seems to be concerned with your technical skills when interviewing you. As a geologist, I was shown seismic lines and asked to interpret them. Other than this technical aspect, the rest of the interview was pretty standard. It lasted about 45 minutes, and also included the standard questions about leadership and conflict resolution (be prepared to give examples from your past).

Interview Question – I was given a seismic line, and asked to interpret it.   Answer Question

Geologist

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was offered the interview prior to a recent job fair. They make you complete a lengthy online application compared to similar companies. I thought the interview was extremely impersonal. They simply read questions off of a form they have in front of them and write down your answers. There is no real discussion or individualized questions. It felt very impersonal.

Interview Question – They ask you an analyze a seismic line.   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at BP in January 2009.

Interview Details – Company paid for flight and hotel costs. Was asked questions pertaining to chemical engineering major when I was interviewing for a geology/science position...very disorganized and unprofessional interviewer for the technical interview.

Interview Question – How would you design a hydrogen powered car?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in December 2010.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview which took approximately 45 minutes. Consisted of usual situational interview questions.

On-site interview consisted of a 1 on 1 skills test where I had to look at an outcrop and explain everything I could deduce from it, possibilities for production, etc. With a 2nd person, gave them a presentation of my Master's Thesis work. Lastly there was a campus tour. Lasted from ~10am to 2pm. Really friendly people and HR was great about answering questions. Really great experience even though I wasn't extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the extracurricular activity you are most interested in or proud of? Why did you get involved in this?   Answer Question
  • I see your dissertation / thesis was on [blank], could you walk me through it in layman's terms?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Geologist
Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at BP in April 2011.

Interview Details – Two separate interviews, one with human resources and one with the specialized team. Human resources interview asked basic interview questions i.e. tell me about working with someone that you didn't get along with, why do you want to work here etc. The interview with the specialists/scientists tested your skills, questioned your research and asked some basic questions i.e. tell me about yourself.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to meet a deadline, but didn't have enough time.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BP

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP Geologist interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by BP employees and interview candidates.