BP

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Geophysicist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed at job fair, heard back within 5 weeks. Everyone very helpful along the way and I felt that they were really interested in how the experience was for me. I think it definitely helped that I was referred by one of their previous interns and his supervisor. I did have to follow up to get information on my offer.

Interview Question – Had to interpret seismic section, relatively simple, kind of poor quality data.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for internship.

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in November 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume for a student Expo, go a call for interview

Interview Question – Exploration Scenario   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in September 2011.

Interview Details – After delivering the resume through the career center of our campus, I was notified the time slots to set an appointment with BP. The interview is 1:1. It can be divided into two parts. The first part was about the background (education, research area). The other part was like a test. He pulled out a seismic cross section and let me to interpret the geologic phenomenon.

Interview Question – where is the best place to drill a well? (show it on the seismic cross section)   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BP in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through the AGU career center.
First interview 1x1 at AGU, lasted about 75 mins. A regular discussion of myself/work followed by a scenario based session. Questions to expect, how did you get into your field, strengths /weaknesses, what did you do when you were in a confrontational situation. Next they offered me seismic profile line to interpret.

Second Interview - on-site in TX. 1x1 scenario based interview, first few minutes similar to the first interview, a regular discussion. The scenario based question. how would you develop a basin from exploration to production. Lasted about 60 mins.

Presentation: based on your current research. Lasted about 45 mins. Expect questions. ex. assumptions/alternate interpretations etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a confrontational situation you under went and your solution.   View Answer
  • Interpret a seismic profile + explain basin development from exploration to production   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at BP

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP Geophysicist interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by BP employees and interview candidates.