BP

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.3

Geologist Interview

They are nice. The interview is as long as 120 minute. They will follow a question sheet, and ask you behavior questions and technical questions. For geologists, seismic interpretation is necessary here. There is no answer for your interpretation.

Finance IST Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BP.

Interview was heavy on behavioral/situational scenarios. remember to answer in the 'STAR' format (requiter should fill you in on this). I forgot the acronym, but it's 'What was the issue, what did you do, how did you do it, and what were the results'. Answer every question that way.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing quantitative. There was one question regarding exposure to physical crude inventory; i think it went, "i'm long crude, what am I exposed to and how can i hedge"   View Answer

Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BP.

Recruiter contacted me to interview with them.

The hiring manager was definitely not interested in me since I did not have the experience or pedigree he was looking for. Not sure why they brought me in for an interview.

Granted I had food poisoning the morning of the interview so maybe it was me?

Essentially it was a waste of time.

BP IST Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BP.

Applied via online site and had a campus interview. Interview was 90 minutes - 45 minutes behavioral/fit, 45 minutes of a non-technical case study. The questions were very repetitive and asked repeatedly with minimal changes in the wording. Case wasn't technical which made it hard to determine whether or not the answer was correct.

Interview Questions
    • You are given two projects to evaluate. One has a higher upfront cost but potential for greater earnings over time, while the other one is cheaper but is not expected to generate as much revenue. Which one do you undertake?   Answer Question

IST Interview

Campus career services sent along my resume. Got an email requesting a phone interview. Hour long behavioral phone interview. Followed up for video interview, two on one, 45 minute behavioral, 45 minute technical. Called two weeks later to offer job. Relatively easy, friendly thoughout.

No negotiation

IST Interview

Dropped off my resume at the career fair, got an email and scheduled to interview. 2 on 1 90 min interview, 45 min behavioral and 45 min case.

Didn't like the process

IST Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BP.

I applied through my campus career management center. I was chosen for an interview and then invited for dinner to talk to recruiters the day before the interview. There were two 45 minute parts to the interview. The first part of the interview just asked about my experiences (it was a lot of "tell me about a time" questions). The second part was the technical portion of the interview which was way easier than I expected. The process took 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you needed to adapt to a new situation to be successful.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BP.

I spoke with a recruiter at a Science and Engineering Career Fair and was offered an interview on campus that week. The interview had behavioral and technical questions, and the panel consisted of an experienced engineering manager and a young engineer. I received the offer by phone a week after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question required some fundamental knowledge of fluid mechanics that was difficult to articulate well before at an early point in my major.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BP.

Uses behavioral interviewing questions and techniques. You'd better be prepared because the hiring decision is made based on the points you make whilst answering the questions. It's subjective - yes, but that's the process. Suggest you brush up on the typical behavioral type questions you'll find on the web or in one of the popular interviewing books.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had to make a unpopular decision? What was the situation and what was the decision? How did you manage the team's reaction and convince them that it was the right thing to do?   View Answer
    Smooth and short

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at BP.

Interview is half behavioral and half technical assessment. They will assess your academic record, previous experiences, and interview in the consideration. The time to respond takes a while, as the company waits until they have completed interviews for all possible candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Technical assessment includes mathematical calculations.   Answer Question