BP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Best way to land a job in BP, as with other big oil companies is to complete an internship. Historically there's an over 50% chance that interns will be offered a full time job after completing a summer internship. The recruiting process typically comprises behavioral interviews/experience based interviews as well as technical interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you felt the most energized being an employee?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2012.

Interview Details – This started with me applyting on line and getting a call back from teh recruiter.. then I was parts of a Panel Interview, then met with the hiring manager as a final.

Interview Question – What areas do I feel I hae an opportunity to work on.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They had asked what my expectations woudl be.

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was straightforward, but the interview was not. A BP recruiter contacted me about the position, I filled out a detailed application online, then the recruiter organized the on-site interview.

The interview started with a one-on-one with the department manager. He spent about 30 minutes detailing the size and complexity of the site and highlighted how he was so understaffed.

Then I had a series of three panel interviews, each one consisting of 3-4 people asking a variety of technical and behavioral questions. The technical questions were quite difficult and are not ones easily answered in the time allotted. The behavioral questions must all be answered in the STAR format: Situation, Task, Action, and Result. I felt the questions got progressively harder and more nebulous until I was unable to answer. The occasional shaking of heads and grimacing at each other only made me more nervous. Then that was the end of each panel.

I came away from the experience feeling very inadequate and really doubting my abilities as an engineer. I know I provided some excellent answers, some of which could only be obtained through years of experience and not from a book.

LESSON LEARNED: it appeared that each interview panel was not as concerned about the accuracy of my technical or behavioral answers but HOW I handled the pressure of the situation. I only wish I had known this going in -- I would have been more relaxed.

Each of the people I met implied how stressful it had been for the previous year, while the plant was commissioning a major capital expansion. A tour of their offices and working facilities showed the same. The folks seemed genuine, although their written remarks did not agree with the intangibles I picked up throughout the day and even over lunch.

Interview Questions

• I was given a verbal description of a multicomponent distillation column (probably right from Kister) with partial condenser, thermosiphon reboiler, and several sidedraws. They asked me to sketch the column, including each of the major control loops. Then they asked several what if scenarios such as: reboiler duty spiked sharply, reflux cut back, and the accumulator drum flooded: what do you do to fix it? Add to the previous situation if overhead liquid product is getting lighter? We spent a good bit of time on this stuff.   View Answer
  • Give an example of where you had to disagree with an engineer's or manager's work who was more senior than you.   Answer Question
  • What color was the receptionist wearing?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I did not feel we had a mutual fit.

Electrical & Mechanical Specialist Interview

Electrical & Mechanical Specialist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in June 2014.

Interview Details – Multi phase process. Began with a Job Skills Test (3 hr test including behavioral, mechanical and electrical related questions). Next phase was a 15 min phone interview. last phase was a work demonstation that consisted of rebuilding a valve with a set of instructions in 45 mins. then there was an electrical work demonstration where I had to wire a power box via a wiring diagram. Then came the panel interview which consisted of four engineers asking various situational/behavioral questions.

Interview Question – All were typical behavioral questions. A cple tech questions like the difference between PSi and differential pressure.   Answer Question

Project Controls Analyst Interview

Project Controls Analyst
Wayne, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BP in January 2012.

Interview Details – EASY PROCESS, NICE MANAGERS, GOOD HIRING PRACTICES AND A LOT OF QUALITY PEOPLE ON HR.
The interview took about 20 mins, the manager will give you an spreadsheet to see your excel skills.

Communications Interview

Communications

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Phone interview that lasted approximately an hour with a recruiter from the human resources department at the company. The time on the phone mainly focused on my background and what I had done in previuos roles. We also discussed the need for the position (why was it vacant and for how long) and I asked a few questions.

Interview Question – Typical questions with a ask for a salary range at the end.   Answer Question

Reservoir Engineer OR Drilling Engineer Interview

Reservoir Engineer OR Drilling Engineer
Anchorage, AK

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BP in October 2012.

Interview Details – 1) Applied for an interview through my company's career development website; I was accepted
2) I applied on BP's website before my interview, as instructed
3) I had a 1:1 interview where the interviewer asked me a great deal about the research I was doing for my M.S. thesis. He also asked me some personality-related questions (standard fare: talk about a time you worked in a team, name your strengths, etc.). I also spoke about my previous Oil & Gas internships.
4) I had other offers, so I asked if they could let me know the results soon. Someone from Anchorage literally contacted me the evening of my first interview requesting I go to Anchorage for 2nd round interviews.
5) In Anchorage, there were some BP informationals (standard company fare), as well as a dinner for all those there with some ice breakers, etc. Next morning, there were three sets of interviews. I had to give a technical presentation to some senior reservoir engineers in the company (they allowed me to choose the topic; I was given prior warning before coming to Anchorage). Second interview was technical. I was presented with some wellbore dimensions along with fluid data and asked to describe how I would approach getting the most out of this well. Last interview was with a driller who gave me mainly personality-based questions. After interviews, we were given a tour of their Anchorage office. They took us all out for a nice dinner where employees gave their reasons why they thought BP Alaska was the best place to work. They came off as quite genuine. BP Alaska seems to have people who just genuinely love being in Alaska (most had been there for years, and a few had even turned down offers for international locations).
6) They called me the next morning after I had landed in Seattle (from Anchorage) and gave me a verbal offer. I applied for both Drilling and Reservoir Engineering positions, but they let me talk to employees to decide which one I wanted and then gave me a written offer.

Interview Question – A well producing with a GOR of X STB/Mscf and X" casing is producing from a reservoir with x perm and y porosity. The reservoir is sandstone. Viscosity of oil is x cP. There was other information as well (but I cannot remember because it has been a few years). How would you maximize the recovery from this well?   View Answers (3)

Reason for Declining – The offer was tempting (not everyone can say they work on the North Slope), but I chose another offer that gave me international experience.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst
Warrenville, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – The hiring process required one phone interview and one face-to-face interview in front of a panel. The face-to-face interview included more than 10 questions, one right after another. The questions were on personal work experience, and the related future role, which in this case was related to strategy. Case studies were used during the interview.

Interview Question – One question was on how depreciation expense affects the income statement.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to increase my signing bonus a little bit by negotiating with the hiring manager.

Reliability Engineer Interview

Reliability Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – I hired on as an intern which only involved one interview, mostly of situational questions. Nothing too hard, just asking to describe what you would do in certain situations. They want to hear how you put safety first. This is not the typical approach for interviews and this was the process years ago - I'm sure it has changed.

Interview Question – They ask to describe how a heat exchanger works. Also know how basic machinery works like a compressor or pump.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your signing bonus! I got offered 10%. My friend told me to offer double, so 20%. I was too nervous to push the envelope so I asked for 15% and they gave it to me no problem. Especially if you have previous experience you can play up.

Drilling Engineer Interview

Drilling Engineer
Golden, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BP in January 2010.

Interview Details – This was a very technical interview process that they have completely gone away from because it did not provide the proper level of assessment of the candidate. The individuals performing the interview were the same people that I ended up working with and were very pleasant to interview with and the interview process did not seem too overwhelming.

Interview Question – Solving a technical problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Increased base due to mistake in the offering process.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!