BP Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

3.3

Process Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BP.

They asked a few standard situational questions that all started with "tell me about a time when..." They also ask a technical question that is fairly straightforward as directly applicable to the job you are applying for

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced an ethical decision and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

IST Sophomore Experienxe Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BP in March 2015.

I received an email telling me I would have a phone interview in the coming days. Kind of short notice. I set up a time that worked for me. My interviewer called approximately 3-4 min after my scheduled time. He told me about himself and proceeded to ask me questions. He asked about 5 questions two of which I had prepared answers for which was great. In all, it lasted around 20 min. At the end, he asked if I had any questions. I hear back in about two weeks.

Geologist Interview

They are nice. The interview is as long as 120 minute. They will follow a question sheet, and ask you behavior questions and technical questions. For geologists, seismic interpretation is necessary here. There is no answer for your interpretation.

Finance IST Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BP.

Interview was heavy on behavioral/situational scenarios. remember to answer in the 'STAR' format (requiter should fill you in on this). I forgot the acronym, but it's 'What was the issue, what did you do, how did you do it, and what were the results'. Answer every question that way.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing quantitative. There was one question regarding exposure to physical crude inventory; i think it went, "i'm long crude, what am I exposed to and how can i hedge"   View Answer

Settlement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BP in January 2015.

the process took three to four weeks since I submitted my online application , got initial application review email , then got welcome letter moving forward to light phone interview , forward to formal interview , it was all about behavioral questions .. but the hiring manager was decided who she will hire ( Network I guess ) thats why she didn't pay attention to my interview and being rude even though I'm an MBA finance certificate holder .. her assistant was handling the interview .

Interview Questions
    • it was all about behavioral attitude and how you act against problems at work .. which makes me wonder that anyone can tell lies and lies and make himself a hero to get a chance for this job !!   View Answer

Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BP.

Recruiter contacted me to interview with them.

The hiring manager was definitely not interested in me since I did not have the experience or pedigree he was looking for. Not sure why they brought me in for an interview.

Granted I had food poisoning the morning of the interview so maybe it was me?

Essentially it was a waste of time.

BP IST Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BP.

Applied via online site and had a campus interview. Interview was 90 minutes - 45 minutes behavioral/fit, 45 minutes of a non-technical case study. The questions were very repetitive and asked repeatedly with minimal changes in the wording. Case wasn't technical which made it hard to determine whether or not the answer was correct.

Interview Questions
    • You are given two projects to evaluate. One has a higher upfront cost but potential for greater earnings over time, while the other one is cheaper but is not expected to generate as much revenue. Which one do you undertake?   Answer Question

IST Interview

Campus career services sent along my resume. Got an email requesting a phone interview. Hour long behavioral phone interview. Followed up for video interview, two on one, 45 minute behavioral, 45 minute technical. Called two weeks later to offer job. Relatively easy, friendly thoughout.

No negotiation

IST Interview

Dropped off my resume at the career fair, got an email and scheduled to interview. 2 on 1 90 min interview, 45 min behavioral and 45 min case.

Didn't like the process

IST Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BP.

I applied through my campus career management center. I was chosen for an interview and then invited for dinner to talk to recruiters the day before the interview. There were two 45 minute parts to the interview. The first part of the interview just asked about my experiences (it was a lot of "tell me about a time" questions). The second part was the technical portion of the interview which was way easier than I expected. The process took 5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you needed to adapt to a new situation to be successful.   Answer Question