BP Interview Questions

3.3

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warrenville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP.

The hiring process required one phone interview and one face-to-face interview in front of a panel. The face-to-face interview included more than 10 questions, one right after another. The questions were on personal work experience, and the related future role, which in this case was related to strategy. Case studies were used during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • One question was on how depreciation expense affects the income statement.   Answer Question
    I was able to increase my signing bonus a little bit by negotiating with the hiring manager.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at BP in April 2011.

Two separate interviews, one with human resources and one with the specialized team. Human resources interview asked basic interview questions i.e. tell me about working with someone that you didn't get along with, why do you want to work here etc. The interview with the specialists/scientists tested your skills, questioned your research and asked some basic questions i.e. tell me about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to meet a deadline, but didn't have enough time.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in April 2013.

The hiring process was straightforward, but the interview was not. A BP recruiter contacted me about the position, I filled out a detailed application online, then the recruiter organized the on-site interview.

The interview started with a one-on-one with the department manager. He spent about 30 minutes detailing the size and complexity of the site and highlighted how he was so understaffed.

Then I had a series of three panel interviews, each one consisting of 3-4 people asking a variety of technical and behavioral questions. The technical questions were quite difficult and are not ones easily answered in the time allotted. The behavioral questions must all be answered in the STAR format: Situation, Task, Action, and Result. I felt the questions got progressively harder and more nebulous until I was unable to answer. The occasional shaking of heads and grimacing at each other only made me more nervous. Then that was the end of each panel.

I came away from the experience feeling very inadequate and really doubting my abilities as an engineer. I know I provided some excellent answers, some of which could only be obtained through years of experience and not from a book.

LESSON LEARNED: it appeared that each interview panel was not as concerned about the accuracy of my technical or behavioral answers but HOW I handled the pressure of the situation. I only wish I had known this going in -- I would have been more relaxed.

Each of the people I met implied how stressful it had been for the previous year, while the plant was commissioning a major capital expansion. A tour of their offices and working facilities showed the same. The folks seemed genuine, although their written remarks did not agree with the intangibles I picked up throughout the day and even over lunch.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a verbal description of a multicomponent distillation column (probably right from Kister) with partial condenser, thermosiphon reboiler, and several sidedraws. They asked me to sketch the column, including each of the major control loops. Then they asked several what if scenarios such as: reboiler duty spiked sharply, reflux cut back, and the accumulator drum flooded: what do you do to fix it? Add to the previous situation if overhead liquid product is getting lighter? We spent a good bit of time on this stuff.   View Answer
    • Give an example of where you had to disagree with an engineer's or manager's work who was more senior than you.   Answer Question
    • What color was the receptionist wearing?   View Answer

I did not feel we had a mutual fit.

Architect Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in August 2009.

Behavior interview with scripted question. 3 on the panel, one from hr. 7 question ask.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were unable to complete an activity. What did you do and how did it turn out?   View Answer

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at BP in November 2010.

Travel arrangements were great, they insisted to me to fly even with my willingness to drive. There were two panel interviews, one technical and one behavioral. The technical interview started with an explanation of BP, the organizational structure of the department and how the position fitted in the structure. I was asked to give an example on every answer and they keep drilling on my answers to a great detail. The second interview was a behavioral case questions; also they require examples in every answer. This interview process was one of the toughest one that I had ever encountered although they were very respectful.

Interview Questions
    • How you given career coaching to a subordinate? Please provide an example.   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a situation when one of your ideas have been rejected.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in October 2012.

Submitted application online, asked to interview at campus career fair, then asked to travel to office location for another couple days of interviews and orientations.

Interview Questions
    • I had an unimpressive undergrad GPA thanks to my first couple years of college. Halfway through the interview, the lead interviewer dropped his scripted questions on the table in exasperation. He then asked me why I was even there with such a lousy GPA considering that most of my peers were 4.0 students. He followed up by grilling me on each class on my transcript in which I received a grade lower than a B.   View Answer

Drilling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Port-of-Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port-of-Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in May 2008.

There were 3 interviews in one day, a technical, an HR and a group interview. Highest scores are made offers.

Drilling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Golden, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BP in January 2010.

This was a very technical interview process that they have completely gone away from because it did not provide the proper level of assessment of the candidate. The individuals performing the interview were the same people that I ended up working with and were very pleasant to interview with and the interview process did not seem too overwhelming.

Interview Questions
    Increased base due to mistake in the offering process.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in June 2008.

it was very interesting and OVERLY thorough. , to the point that I couldn't believe that ANY decisions were made. Four hours I walked out of the building and was confused as to which direction I was facing. Of course I do believe that this is an exception to how things normally are

Interview Questions
    • If a client told you they wanted to make a rock, what question would you ask first   View Answers (2)

Senior Service Delivery Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in February 2011.

Company is big on six sigma learnings and experience dealing with third party vendors. I was an internal candidate and probably they did not want to create gap with existing opportunity. Looking to hire more externally. The questions are behavioral based and they will only pull the top three candidates to interview. We describing your particular experience, be sure to mention the learnings you had and impact you made.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a transformation process you introduced and the continual improvements.   View Answer
    • Describe a situation when you did not agree with your peers. Did you try to influence them to your point of view or go along with the majority. And the reason why.   View Answer

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!