BP

Average Difficulty
357 candidate interviews

Process Engineer - Vacation Student Interview

Process Engineer - Vacation Student

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Online application; cover letter, resume, academic transcript. Fairly typical sort of application. There were a few questions to answer within the application. You were also asked about the grades of subjects that would be relevant to the role. As long as you have decent grades, you would be fine.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to complete a technical task? How did you go about it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other offers.

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
London, England (UK)

I interviewed at BP in February 2014.

Interview Details – Online application, numerical test and verbal reasoning test, phone interview, face to face interview at the business park and assessment centre. The process took about 3 months. The face to face interview involves classic questions like why BP, why this role and about the projects I was involved in. Then there were case studies to do with project management.

Interview Question – Case study questions to do with how to manage projects when there is an unexpected event e.g. the neighbours are unhappy with the drilling site due to the noise it creates, what can you do? or if there is not enough production facility what do you?   Answer Question

Sales & Integrated Trading Spring Insight Week Interview

Sales & Integrated Trading Spring Insight Week
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in March 2014.

Interview Details – After filling out the application form I was contacted for a final round telephone interview. Most of the questions on the online application seemed generic and not company specific although they did have one question related to their 5 core values (you had to give an example of atleast one situation when you've used/applied one or more of these values in everyday life).

Interview Question – What was the biggest challenge you've faced.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – There was a number of stages which had to be completed however BP was very efficient in the way that these were carried out. From receiving an invitation for online tests to receiving an offer only took two weeks. Overall I would say it was the best recruiting experience I have had thus far.

Interview Question – Technical Questions   View Answer

Trader Interview

Trader

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

Interview Details – Two persons from BP asked questions. And one of them left early to catch the plane. The interview lasted around 45 minutes. First half of the interview is basic behavioral questions. Difficult to answer. Should prepare early. Second half of the interview is technical questions. Something related to the energy industry.

Interview Question – When some thing happens, which company should you invest?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Best way to land a job in BP, as with other big oil companies is to complete an internship. Historically there's an over 50% chance that interns will be offered a full time job after completing a summer internship. The recruiting process typically comprises behavioral interviews/experience based interviews as well as technical interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you felt the most energized being an employee?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2012.

Interview Details – This started with me applyting on line and getting a call back from teh recruiter.. then I was parts of a Panel Interview, then met with the hiring manager as a final.

Interview Question – What areas do I feel I hae an opportunity to work on.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They had asked what my expectations woudl be.

Development Process Engineer Interview

Development Process Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Initial phone call form HR to confirm my current situation and to discuss salary expectations. Interview over the phone with hiring manager and a per to verify technical competency.
Site visit for a face to face interview and site reconnaissance

Commercial IST Interview

Commercial IST
London, England (UK)

I interviewed at BP in January 2014.

Interview Details – Went through the standard initial screening of CV and questions. Got to the phone interview where it was a competency based interview. Standard questions for you to display your qualities and personality through examples. The next stage was a one on one technical interview in Canary Wharf where you would be given case studies in which you talk and reason your decisions to the accessor. The final stage is the assessment centre. There were about 11 of us half from the IST commercial stream, half from the IST analytics stream. The first segment was a group discussion about a case study and there would be a panel acessing the group dynamics and also the individual performance. The next segment was a one on one business case presentation, that lasts roughly for 45mins. The last segment was the group discussion again.

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was straightforward, but the interview was not. A BP recruiter contacted me about the position, I filled out a detailed application online, then the recruiter organized the on-site interview.

The interview started with a one-on-one with the department manager. He spent about 30 minutes detailing the size and complexity of the site and highlighted how he was so understaffed.

Then I had a series of three panel interviews, each one consisting of 3-4 people asking a variety of technical and behavioral questions. The technical questions were quite difficult and are not ones easily answered in the time allotted. The behavioral questions must all be answered in the STAR format: Situation, Task, Action, and Result. I felt the questions got progressively harder and more nebulous until I was unable to answer. The occasional shaking of heads and grimacing at each other only made me more nervous. Then that was the end of each panel.

I came away from the experience feeling very inadequate and really doubting my abilities as an engineer. I know I provided some excellent answers, some of which could only be obtained through years of experience and not from a book.

LESSON LEARNED: it appeared that each interview panel was not as concerned about the accuracy of my technical or behavioral answers but HOW I handled the pressure of the situation. I only wish I had known this going in -- I would have been more relaxed.

Each of the people I met implied how stressful it had been for the previous year, while the plant was commissioning a major capital expansion. A tour of their offices and working facilities showed the same. The folks seemed genuine, although their written remarks did not agree with the intangibles I picked up throughout the day and even over lunch.

Interview Questions

• I was given a verbal description of a multicomponent distillation column (probably right from Kister) with partial condenser, thermosiphon reboiler, and several sidedraws. They asked me to sketch the column, including each of the major control loops. Then they asked several what if scenarios such as: reboiler duty spiked sharply, reflux cut back, and the accumulator drum flooded: what do you do to fix it? Add to the previous situation if overhead liquid product is getting lighter? We spent a good bit of time on this stuff.   View Answer
  • Give an example of where you had to disagree with an engineer's or manager's work who was more senior than you.   Answer Question
  • What color was the receptionist wearing?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I did not feel we had a mutual fit.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!