BP Interview Questions

3.3

Project Controls Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at BP in January 2012.

EASY PROCESS, NICE MANAGERS, GOOD HIRING PRACTICES AND A LOT OF QUALITY PEOPLE ON HR.
    The interview took about 20 mins, the manager will give you an spreadsheet to see your excel skills.

Communications Interview

Phone interview that lasted approximately an hour with a recruiter from the human resources department at the company. The time on the phone mainly focused on my background and what I had done in previuos roles. We also discussed the need for the position (why was it vacant and for how long) and I asked a few questions.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions with a ask for a salary range at the end.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warrenville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP.

The hiring process required one phone interview and one face-to-face interview in front of a panel. The face-to-face interview included more than 10 questions, one right after another. The questions were on personal work experience, and the related future role, which in this case was related to strategy. Case studies were used during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • One question was on how depreciation expense affects the income statement.   Answer Question
    I was able to increase my signing bonus a little bit by negotiating with the hiring manager.

Reservoir Engineer OR Drilling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at BP in October 2012.

1) Applied for an interview through my company's career development website; I was accepted
    2) I applied on BP's website before my interview, as instructed
    3) I had a 1:1 interview where the interviewer asked me a great deal about the research I was doing for my M.S. thesis. He also asked me some personality-related questions (standard fare: talk about a time you worked in a team, name your strengths, etc.). I also spoke about my previous Oil & Gas internships.
    4) I had other offers, so I asked if they could let me know the results soon. Someone from Anchorage literally contacted me the evening of my first interview requesting I go to Anchorage for 2nd round interviews.
    5) In Anchorage, there were some BP informationals (standard company fare), as well as a dinner for all those there with some ice breakers, etc. Next morning, there were three sets of interviews. I had to give a technical presentation to some senior reservoir engineers in the company (they allowed me to choose the topic; I was given prior warning before coming to Anchorage). Second interview was technical. I was presented with some wellbore dimensions along with fluid data and asked to describe how I would approach getting the most out of this well. Last interview was with a driller who gave me mainly personality-based questions. After interviews, we were given a tour of their Anchorage office. They took us all out for a nice dinner where employees gave their reasons why they thought BP Alaska was the best place to work. They came off as quite genuine. BP Alaska seems to have people who just genuinely love being in Alaska (most had been there for years, and a few had even turned down offers for international locations).
    6) They called me the next morning after I had landed in Seattle (from Anchorage) and gave me a verbal offer. I applied for both Drilling and Reservoir Engineering positions, but they let me talk to employees to decide which one I wanted and then gave me a written offer.

Interview Questions
    • A well producing with a GOR of X STB/Mscf and X" casing is producing from a reservoir with x perm and y porosity. The reservoir is sandstone. Viscosity of oil is x cP. There was other information as well (but I cannot remember because it has been a few years). How would you maximize the recovery from this well?   View Answers (3)

The offer was tempting (not everyone can say they work on the North Slope), but I chose another offer that gave me international experience.

Reliability Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at BP.

I hired on as an intern which only involved one interview, mostly of situational questions. Nothing too hard, just asking to describe what you would do in certain situations. They want to hear how you put safety first. This is not the typical approach for interviews and this was the process years ago - I'm sure it has changed.

Interview Questions
    • They ask to describe how a heat exchanger works. Also know how basic machinery works like a compressor or pump.   Answer Question
    Negotiate your signing bonus! I got offered 10%. My friend told me to offer double, so 20%. I was too nervous to push the envelope so I asked for 15% and they gave it to me no problem. Especially if you have previous experience you can play up.

Drilling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Golden, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BP in January 2010.

This was a very technical interview process that they have completely gone away from because it did not provide the proper level of assessment of the candidate. The individuals performing the interview were the same people that I ended up working with and were very pleasant to interview with and the interview process did not seem too overwhelming.

Interview Questions
    Increased base due to mistake in the offering process.

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at BP.

One phone interview with a few follow-ups. Interview with hiring manager and team.

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at BP in January 2010.

Just walked in and there was a single interview. The manager sat me down and went over my application, they did a background check and then gave a VERY simple math test. Basically if you were able to pass the 7th grade you can pass their math test.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was when they asked how to deal with irate customers, just because I wasn't sure if they'd want me to handle it myself or get a manager to do it.   View Answers (2)
    None at all

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at BP in June 2010.

Contractor so my process will be different. I has hired for a short project. After that was completed I extended for 3 years.

n/a

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BP in March 2013.

Apply online, and wait for calling; then email notice, prepare for the interviews. The process is consisting of skill interview and people interview. For skill interview, the majority is behavior questions for past experiences, besides personal background, such as education, strengthen, etc. Finally is manager interview, one by one, talking about thinking about the job.

Interview Questions
    • What is your leadership? please show it by your experience.   Answer Question