BP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Clerk Interview

Clerk
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in January 2010.

Interview Details – Just walked in and there was a single interview. The manager sat me down and went over my application, they did a background check and then gave a VERY simple math test. Basically if you were able to pass the 7th grade you can pass their math test.

Interview Question – Most difficult was when they asked how to deal with irate customers, just because I wasn't sure if they'd want me to handle it myself or get a manager to do it.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – None at all

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Senior Associate Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BP in March 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online, and wait for calling; then email notice, prepare for the interviews. The process is consisting of skill interview and people interview. For skill interview, the majority is behavior questions for past experiences, besides personal background, such as education, strengthen, etc. Finally is manager interview, one by one, talking about thinking about the job.

Interview Question – What is your leadership? please show it by your experience.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – On-campus interview. Behavioral based questions and a case question at the end. Rigorous questions but nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – Case question.   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

Credit Analyst
Naperville, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Interview is grueling. In short, you can be masterful for the job itself, but if you don't answer the questions correctly, which have barely anything to do with the job itself, then you are quickly eliminated. For example, if you are applying to be a financial analyst, you may be asked to talk about a time when you needed to sell a difficult decision, or talk about how you respond to time crunches…..you aren't asked if you can actually crunch numbers!!!

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you have identified a risk to operational/project delivery. What was the risk and how did you identify it? Why did you consider it to be a risk? What action did you take? How did your actions affect the operational/project delivery? What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. BP is well aware of their size and "big league" mentality. They are aware there is 1000 applicants for every job. If you don't like it, then move aside because someone else will take what you don't want.

Procurement Interview

Procurement
Warrenville, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in November 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process is extremely slow and without feedback on where they are in the process. Interview process was a panel interview with no time allocated for the interviewee to ask questions. Role play is also part of the interview process. Prepare to act through what it is that they expect you to do in "real" life. I was very excited about the role, however, I received two offers while waiting for BP to make a decision. I declined as the salary was significantly lower then the two offers that I received. The three roles were comparable in responsibility and level of experience.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. Workspace was a surprise. Maybe it's a new concept. No more cubicles, just a chair. All seating is visible. No offices or cubicles. Carpet squares are bright and multi-colored, which gives it a pre-school feel. If you need to meet, you have to do it in the cafeteria.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary significantly lower than offers received.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager
Naperville, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 4 people, including 2 potential peers, the hiring manager and a "stakeholder. The process was very standard. Mostly it was a review of my resume and a lot of "how would you handle this situation" type of questions. It is important to make sure you research the company though. It has a rich history and is very complex. They are looking for folks that can handle that.

Negotiation Details – The offer was better than I expected

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – I met with the team I'd be working with. Very laid-back and got the sense that everyone enjoyed what they were doing. I was asked very simple questions. "Where do you want to be 5 years from now" "Why BP" and "What can you bring to the team"

The interview was pretty short. They showed me around the lab and each interview only lasted about 20-30 minutes. I met with about 3 people.

Interview Question – Where do you want to be 5 years from now   Answer Question

Challenger (Graduate) Geophysicist Interview

Challenger (Graduate) Geophysicist

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – First interview was on campus at the Campus Recruiting Event. The first 30 minute or so, the Geophysics graduates were given a seismic section to interpret. The rest of the time (around 40 to 45 min), they were asked behavioral and soft skill questions.
Once you get through the first round, they call you for an on-site interview. The interview process is based on two parts there: A one-on-one technical interview for 30 minutes and a 30-min long presentation (usually on your graduate research/thesis). The rest of the day is a tour of the company, meeting with the present challengers and sharing your concerns and experiences about the company.

Interview Question – Some questions about the seismic section were difficult.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Norway, MI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in April 2011.

Interview Details – All I had to do was submit an application and had a very short interview, maybe 5 minutes long.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, barely any questions at all. This is a job that anyone can do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Senior Facility Engineer Interview

Senior Facility Engineer
Anchorage, AK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in February 2009.

Interview Details – Pretty painless, took awhile to hear back. They follow a very clever process to try to normalize interviews to make it fair no matter who is doing the interview. It is based on your "locus of control". There is some technical emphasis in the questioning. Can you read diagrams, etc. and they present you with an example to test you.

Interview Question – Name a time you faced a big challenge, what did you do about it, what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for higher salary, they came back in about 1 week and agreed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at BP