BP Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.3

Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BP (Houston, TX).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to interview with them.

The hiring manager was definitely not interested in me since I did not have the experience or pedigree he was looking for. Not sure why they brought me in for an interview.

Granted I had food poisoning the morning of the interview so maybe it was me?

Essentially it was a waste of time.

Area Process Safety Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whiting, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BP (Whiting, IN) in January 2015.

Interview

Followed by the book the behavorial interview technique. Interviewed five candidates in the span of five days. In my case an "Ex" BP employee showed up as the sixth candidate and got the job. Funny thing is he had NO experience in the area. Makes me doubt the whole process as rigged.

Interview Questions

• Tell an instance where you had to make an unpopular decision and how did your justify it? What was the result and why   1 Answer

BP IST Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BP.

Interview

Applied via online site and had a campus interview. Interview was 90 minutes - 45 minutes behavioral/fit, 45 minutes of a non-technical case study. The questions were very repetitive and asked repeatedly with minimal changes in the wording. Case wasn't technical which made it hard to determine whether or not the answer was correct.

Interview Questions

• You are given two projects to evaluate. One has a higher upfront cost but potential for greater earnings over time, while the other one is cheaper but is not expected to generate as much revenue. Which one do you undertake?   Answer Question

IST Interview

Interview

Campus career services sent along my resume. Got an email requesting a phone interview. Hour long behavioral phone interview. Followed up for video interview, two on one, 45 minute behavioral, 45 minute technical. Called two weeks later to offer job. Relatively easy, friendly thoughout.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

IST Interview

Interview

Dropped off my resume at the career fair, got an email and scheduled to interview. 2 on 1 90 min interview, 45 min behavioral and 45 min case.

Didn't like the process

IST Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BP.

Interview

I applied through my campus career management center. I was chosen for an interview and then invited for dinner to talk to recruiters the day before the interview. There were two 45 minute parts to the interview. The first part of the interview just asked about my experiences (it was a lot of "tell me about a time" questions). The second part was the technical portion of the interview which was way easier than I expected. The process took 5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you needed to adapt to a new situation to be successful.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BP (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter at a Science and Engineering Career Fair and was offered an interview on campus that week. The interview had behavioral and technical questions, and the panel consisted of an experienced engineering manager and a young engineer. I received the offer by phone a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical question required some fundamental knowledge of fluid mechanics that was difficult to articulate well before at an early point in my major.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BP.

Interview

Uses behavioral interviewing questions and techniques. You'd better be prepared because the hiring decision is made based on the points you make whilst answering the questions. It's subjective - yes, but that's the process. Suggest you brush up on the typical behavioral type questions you'll find on the web or in one of the popular interviewing books.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to make a unpopular decision? What was the situation and what was the decision? How did you manage the team's reaction and convince them that it was the right thing to do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Smooth and short

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at BP.

Interview

Interview is half behavioral and half technical assessment. They will assess your academic record, previous experiences, and interview in the consideration. The time to respond takes a while, as the company waits until they have completed interviews for all possible candidates.

Interview Questions

• Technical assessment includes mathematical calculations.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

Campus recruiting; one round of interview only for interns; it was a mix of behavioral questions and a mini case. The case was fairly easy compared with other consulting interviews