BP Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2015

3.3

Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BP.

Interview

I applied on campus, the interview was an hour and 15 minutes long, fairly simple. Mostly simple behavioral questions. Case questions at the end to see how you think. Again, fairly simple. Nothing too hard. They asked mostly team-based questions.
    EX. Tell me about a time where you had a teammate do X and you had to fix it

Interview Questions

• Business Case- they try to get to see how you think about real world business problems.. At the pre-interview reception they said there was really no way to be prepared for it. Fairly simple.
      EX. Project X is not profitable, should we keep it?

Answer Question

Marine Superintendnet Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Completed online application, received confirmation of receipt the same day, received confirmation of meeting qualifications in 2 days, conducted phone interview with group within 2 weeks, received regrets confirmations 5 days after interview.

Interview Questions

• Most questions behavior or technical based requiring comment on previous actions. Master-pilot exchange question requires an answer indicating doubt of pilot's ability.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

60 minute interview with panel, including HR, incumbent, & Manager. Standard behavioral questions, team focus, & process improvement focused. Very few technical questions. It's basically make it or break it in 4-5 questions. I was an internal candidate yet I had to apply online just like other folks.. i believe the position was also posted externally so there may have been others who applied from outside the company.

They reviewed my resume and qualifications against the requirements of the job.. then chose me for the interview. I had a short conversation with HR prior to the real 60 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Question on doing bank reconciliation process   1 Answer
    • How did I handle a difficult task with a difficult team member   1 Answer

HRDP Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BP in October 2014.

Interview

On-campus interview for graduate students - info session and dinner were the night before the interview and the recruiters were friendly and personable, as well as very knowledgeable about the company. Interview was 75 minutes long and included both behavioral questions as well as a "case" that was really a series of related situational questions.

Interview Questions

• There is an employee who is not performing at an adequate level and is spending a lot of time on the phone. His/her manager has asked you for your advice on how to act. What do you tell them?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BP in October 2014.

Interview

It was a good conversation. Basic star type questions. Tell me a time.... Like that. The technical part was really hard. But the interviewer explains everything softly and clearly. Overall a good experience

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BP.

Interview

I applied online through my university's job board, and in 2 weeks I was able to schedule an on campus interview. The interview consisted of situational questions and technical questions, focused on transformers. The technical questions were more focused on the thought process and not just the answer itself. After everything, he gave me a card for 5 free song downloads, as a token of appreciation in being interested in BP.

Interview Questions

• With three phase transformers connected to a motor, what can you do to change the speed of the motor?   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

There are 2 rounds: HR and Technical ones. HR will ask several questions about your personal life and interest. Direct hire mgr will ask questions to understand your experiences. They might go to universities for interns.

CPI Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Interview consists of two cases. Each case is with two interviews. The cases seemed easier than the extremely detailed behavioral portion in which you are expected to give step-by-step examples of skills you have previously performed. The bottom line is that they are seeking individuals with a background in analytics.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to plan a project before executing it. Describe the process.   Answer Question

Corrosion Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BP in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through university
    had a 75 minute interview
    45 minutes was a behavioral interview following the common STAR format
    30 minute was a case interview- need to have prior experience or background knowledge to assist with the question

Interview Questions

• Case interview as I had no background in corrosion engineer   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX).

Interview

Many offers are given at college interviews or at the end of an internship. They will only talk to top 10% and Masters+ students. Hiring goals constantly change hence some offers get rescinded. Focus answers around actual achievements, being a team player, and passion for the business and learning. Research and a thesis that are industry related is major plus.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked to give examples of something you proposed where you made a difference. It could be a better flow around tables in a restaurant, just something that shows action. There are proposed questions for an interviewer but it's up to him/her as to what to ask. Most ask how you handled a difficult boss or someone you worked with. BP doesn't like conflict and wants folk who can resolve issues not create them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have the most leverage when accepting a new job, after that it's a statistical play. Be reasonable but if it's really important then ask. They might say OK.