BP Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

3.3

Process Engineer Interview

There are 2 rounds: HR and Technical ones. HR will ask several questions about your personal life and interest. Direct hire mgr will ask questions to understand your experiences. They might go to universities for interns.

CPI Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BP in September 2014.

Interview consists of two cases. Each case is with two interviews. The cases seemed easier than the extremely detailed behavioral portion in which you are expected to give step-by-step examples of skills you have previously performed. The bottom line is that they are seeking individuals with a background in analytics.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you had to plan a project before executing it. Describe the process.   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at BP.

Many offers are given at college interviews or at the end of an internship. They will only talk to top 10% and Masters+ students. Hiring goals constantly change hence some offers get rescinded. Focus answers around actual achievements, being a team player, and passion for the business and learning. Research and a thesis that are industry related is major plus.

Interview Questions
    • You will be asked to give examples of something you proposed where you made a difference. It could be a better flow around tables in a restaurant, just something that shows action. There are proposed questions for an interviewer but it's up to him/her as to what to ask. Most ask how you handled a difficult boss or someone you worked with. BP doesn't like conflict and wants folk who can resolve issues not create them.   Answer Question
    You have the most leverage when accepting a new job, after that it's a statistical play. Be reasonable but if it's really important then ask. They might say OK.

Corrosion Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BP in September 2014.

Applied through university
    had a 75 minute interview
    45 minutes was a behavioral interview following the common STAR format
    30 minute was a case interview- need to have prior experience or background knowledge to assist with the question

Interview Questions
    • Case interview as I had no background in corrosion engineer   Answer Question

Applied Geologist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BP in September 2014.

It was a 75-minute interview. The conversation was loosely framed around a set of questions that the interviewer chose. It looked like he had to pick 2-3 out of 5-10 questions per category, so it wasn't as bad as when they're forced to ask really specific questions. The questions were about how I work on my own, in groups, what challenges I faced and how I faced them, and a few scientific questions. The interviewer was easy to talk to, and before I knew it the 75 minutes were over. It felt like having a regular conversation.

I had a better offer from another company.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BP in September 2014.

Asked based on the interview questions given from a paper. Was a 75 minute interview. Both behavioral and technical.

Technical question was based on fluid and thermodynamics. Behavioral was easy, and no deep thinking is required.

BP IST Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BP in September 2014.

Came to my university after I applied through my university and on BP's website. I applied to only the Trading Internship, but ending up interviewing for a completely different job. I didn't find out until the interview. I was completely caught off guard and honestly mad. I would never work for a company that surprises you like that and thinks they know your interests better than yourself.

Anyway, I ended up interviewing for a finance position within IST, that I was uninterested in and would never accept. Interview started off behavioral based then moved to an easy case study. After the case study, I had many questions about the position and the interviewer didn't know a single answer. It was laughable. A complete waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Case study consisted of a hypothetic business project that wasn't performing as expected and whether or not to continue or terminate the project. Just had to walk through your thought process.   Answer Question

FVC Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BP in September 2014.

The took us out to dinner and we got to meet the interviewers the night before. This gave us a chance to meet them in a casual setting. The first part of the interview consisted of typical behavioral questions. The second part of the interview was a case based on the oil industry. This came in several parts and was very guided. Once you answered one part they would give you the next question. The case was very intuitive and did not require background knowledge.

BP IST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BP in September 2014.

Applied though my school and then got an in person interview at the career center at my school.
    The in person interview was conducted by two Bp employees. One was HR and the other one worked on the trade floor. They were pleasant and throughly explained the technical questions. I got one question wrong and then they went through it with me and explained why my answer was wrong.
    As long as you show confidence throughout the interview they will think of you as a valuable candidate.

Asset and Process Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Blaine, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Blaine, WA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at BP in August 2014.

i applied online through the website at least a year ago for the position. thats correct, at least a year ago! i was so used to receiving adverse emails from them that i nearly deleted the email that said "congratulations... you have been selected...: blah blah blah. i never understood how congrats could be in order, when i wasnt offered a job (yet.) :) my philosphy is that when you receive notifications like that the company's HR system must be the infamous black hole people discuss. anyway, i was quite excited to receive the call with the hiring manager for two reasons. 1. it was with BP. 2. location, location, location. it was located in an area in WA quite close to the canadian border. a beautiful area. anyway, the nice things end there.
    the HR manager obviously was young, sneaky and what a call a "desk jockey" engineer. it was further proven in the interview when i asked about her background. she sounded like the typical engineer given her positon simply because of her looks. and im not trying to be spiteful, just telling the truth. it was further compounded by her unprofessionalism through the interview. i could go on and on and on. by her demeanor, i simply do not know how she became a manager of other engineers. i knew she was someone i wouldnt want to work for when she made the typical comment "...you will hear something in two weeks, about the process, depending on HR they are so slow... "
    right...
     my conclusion? BP is one of those companies that takes the top 10% of recent chemical engineering grads and brainwashes them.
    all theory, not much plant experience. which may explain the reasons why they had those "issues" in the past. engineers without actual plant experience is a real problem. theres a reason they call it "hands on" for a reason. to design without knowing, is to design a real problem.

Interview Questions
    • none really. typical "good cop" interview where they want you to reveal yourself.   Answer Question