BP

349 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

QA Analyst Interview

QA Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Interview was over the phone with a group. Asked about my experience, explained their group and what the job was-relating to my experience, asked me what I knew about their company.

Interview Question – What can you tell us about BP?   Answer Question

Petrophysics--full Time Job Interview

Petrophysics--full Time Job

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Half behavior questions and half technical questions (logging)

Interview Question – Technical question   Answer Question

BP IST Interview

BP IST
New Orleans, LA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed on campus. 1 part behavioral, 1 part case study (includes mental math).

Interview Question – The case study was unexpected.   Answer Question

Functional Scheduler Interview

Functional Scheduler
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BP in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was on a teleconference call with the consulting firm owner/ceo and the person in charge of hiring me at BP. We spoke for about an hour about the position and my abilities and past experiences.

Interview Question – There really wasn't any unexpected questions or most difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, we agreed the first time we negotiated the salary

Mechnaical Engineering Summer Intern Interview

Mechnaical Engineering Summer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – It was a behavioral interview with one technical question. The technical question was about equilibrium mechanics, but they vary.

Interview Question – I did not expect the technical question.   Answer Question

Commercial Analyst Interview

Commercial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

Interview Details – Met at career fair, and had a 1 hour interview on campus 1/2 behavioral 1/2 business situation you might experience at the job dealing with gas stations. Flew out to site, 2 interviews, 1 same as at career fair but against a panel of 3 interviewers, and the other in a group.

Interview Question – Behavioral--something about ethics or what you would do if you saw someone doing something unethical   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in March 2012.

Interview Details – My year was a bit different in that BP hired directly from the pool of intern candidates. My interview was in March, as the normal fall recruiting hadn't covered the needed number of summer interns. They emailed out in January saying that they would be doing an additional round of interviews, so I responded to express my interest. In the next few weeks, they sent out an invitation to come to Houston to do a site visit and interviews. I drove, but I know some people were flown in from out of state for the site interview Mon/Tues.

I'd assume that the recruiting team was more or less watching the dynamics of the group, who got along with others, what group seemed to be the most interactive, etc. Of the people in the interview process, I got to know a lot of the more outgoing and personable candidates, and I think most of us got hired (if that says something about personality that they look for.)

The actual interview consisted of two separate interviews. The first was technical, the second more of a softskill, tell us about yourself type.

The soft skills interview was pretty typical, tell us about yourself. I think anyone can pass any company's behavioral interview if they can interact well and know the principles of the company (ie, read the mission statement and core values!)

Interview Question – The technical question was about statics of beam loading (I'm a mechanical engineer), and I had fortunately just had an exam the week before about that. I don't think they expected me to pull out equations (like I said, I just had an exam), but the ability of just looking at a problem and coming up with reasonable expectations of "what is going to happen" and asking the right questions to get more info.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can't negotiate starting salary. Depending on who you sign with, there may be some flexibility with the signing bonus, but be sure you have a good reason to ask.

Geophysicist Interview

Geophysicist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed at job fair, heard back within 5 weeks. Everyone very helpful along the way and I felt that they were really interested in how the experience was for me. I think it definitely helped that I was referred by one of their previous interns and his supervisor. I did have to follow up to get information on my offer.

Interview Question – Had to interpret seismic section, relatively simple, kind of poor quality data.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for internship.

Senior Landman Interview

Senior Landman
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at BP in July 2011.

Interview Details – was average for a contract position

Interview Question – was able to answer every question correctl   Answer Question

Fluids Engineer Interview

Fluids Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in December 2012.

Interview Details – I received the employee's business card from a friend trying to help. After multiple emails online including sending my resume, we agreed to meet at lunch time. The correspondence led me to believe it was a meet and greet and not an official interview.

There were two interviewers and not just one, surprising. I dressed casually and they wanted me to wear a suit. The interviewer never read my resume, and he was angry I did not bring one. That is a mistake that I will never make again. The two interviewers talked about staying positive in the interview even if I am asked about my negatives. We discussed my educational experience, work experience, and general life questions. We ate lunch in the meantime. We also talked about interesting specifics someone of my background could get involved with.

The interviewers ordered alcoholic beverages, which is unprofessional in the United States. They offered constructive criticism, and , at times, went a little too far. However, this meeting was not conducted through H.R., so it was unofficial. All in all, the interview was a good learning experience, but I was never aware that he wanted this meeting to be a interview.

After the interview, our correspondence ceased.

Interview Question – What ,exactly, do you want to do?   View Answer