BP Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

3.3

Finance, Risk, and Compliance Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

The whole interview team was extremely nice. The pre-interview dinner was very informative about who BP is and the work that would be expected. The interview itself was very long, 45 minutes behavioral and 45 minutes of a case interview. There were two interviewers, but it was a relaxed enough atmosphere. The behavioral half was pretty typical, and the case was not particularly difficult. Overall, a decent experience.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly unexpected, but general interview prep would be helpful.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

BP had an info session at my university where I could learn more about the company. At my university's career fair, I was able to submit my resume. I was called for an interview soon after the career fair. I was interviewed by two nice ladies, they made me feel at ease. Probably the easiest interview I've ever done because my interviewers were so nice. Said they would let me know in 2-3 weeks, offered me the job after 2 weeks and one day.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to give someone bad news and how you handled it.
      There was also a technical question about an oil pipeline constructed over a mountain range- not too hard just talked my way through it.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation, salary was way more than I expected.

Drilling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source - interviewed at BP.

I was contacted to interview with BP through the SWE conference website, and had an initial 75 minute interview when at the conference. The recruiter was nice and patient with me if I paused to think before answering questions. The interview consisted of a behavioral portion and a technical portion, with the technical portion being a simple scenario in which I was asked to describe how to obtain certain information, or what would change as a result of an external stimulus. Honestly I felt like it was more a test to see how well I though on my feet. Two weeks later I got a call inviting me to an onsite interview, which was very similar in format. After the interview I got a tour of the campus, and lunch in the cafeteria. One thing I noticed was that there were a lot of women, and that there were many Spanish speakers- both of which I think are positive aspects because they speak of a diverse and multicultural environment. A few days later I got a call offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • None. Questions are there to test your response under pressure, and are relatively simple.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, but the offer was good to begin with.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at BP.

Applied online and got an phone interview

IST Interview

campus recruiting - I had about a 2 hr interview with a technical and a behavior portion. Straightforward behavior part with an open-ended technical part.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a scenario where they are producing oil somewhere, say the Gulf, and give you prices and associated shipping costs and you have to figure out what to do.   Answer Question

IST Summer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

I was contacted by recruiter to schedule an on-campus interview with BP. The interview lasts for about an hour. 1 on 1. First 1/3 was an introduction to BP's trading business and its relationship to the whole company. Second 1/3 was a few questions about my experiences on resume. Last 1/3 was dedicated to quantitative questions, most of which are probability, mathematical finance, and programming. Just like usual quantitative trading firms. Overall it was a good experience. The interviewer is very friendly and helps you whenever you got stuck.

Interview Questions

Had an offer somewhere else

Trading Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2013.

I talked with them at our career fair and then received an interview through our business career center website. The interview was on campus for an hour and a half. There were two people giving the interview. They asked behavioral questions for the first half hour and then moved onto a business case involving pipelines and natural gases.

Interview Questions
    • The case was hard as I didn't have any previous experience with trading natural gases within the United States. It helps if you know a lot about trading.   Answer Question

QA Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at BP.

Interview was over the phone with a group. Asked about my experience, explained their group and what the job was-relating to my experience, asked me what I knew about their company.

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP.

Phone interview via recruiter / screener. Generic sales and situational questions. Second more in-depth phone interview with Region Manager, DBM, Region Director. Generic sales and situational questions. Face to Face interview. More direct situational sales questions..problem solving, difficult situation resolution. Background check. Offer.

No negotiation at all.

Petrophysics--full Time Job Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Half behavior questions and half technical questions (logging)