BP Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

3.2

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

60 minute interview with panel, including HR, incumbent, & Manager. Standard behavioral questions, team focus, & process improvement focused. Very few technical questions. It's basically make it or break it in 4-5 questions. I was an internal candidate yet I had to apply online just like other folks.. i believe the position was also posted externally so there may have been others who applied from outside the company. They reviewed my resume and qualifications against the requirements of the job.. then chose me for the interview. I had a short conversation with HR prior to the real 60 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Question on doing bank reconciliation process   1 Answer
    • How did I handle a difficult task with a difficult team member   1 Answer

HRDP Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BP in October 2014.

Interview

On-campus interview for graduate students - info session and dinner were the night before the interview and the recruiters were friendly and personable, as well as very knowledgeable about the company. Interview was 75 minutes long and included both behavioral questions as well as a "case" that was really a series of related situational questions.

Interview Questions

• There is an employee who is not performing at an adequate level and is spending a lot of time on the phone. His/her manager has asked you for your advice on how to act. What do you tell them?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

There are 2 rounds: HR and Technical ones. HR will ask several questions about your personal life and interest. Direct hire mgr will ask questions to understand your experiences. They might go to universities for interns.

CPI Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Interview consists of two cases. Each case is with two interviews. The cases seemed easier than the extremely detailed behavioral portion in which you are expected to give step-by-step examples of skills you have previously performed. The bottom line is that they are seeking individuals with a background in analytics.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to plan a project before executing it. Describe the process.   Answer Question

FVC Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BP in September 2014.

Interview

The took us out to dinner and we got to meet the interviewers the night before. This gave us a chance to meet them in a casual setting. The first part of the interview consisted of typical behavioral questions. The second part of the interview was a case based on the oil industry. This came in several parts and was very guided. Once you answered one part they would give you the next question. The case was very intuitive and did not require background knowledge.

BP IST Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BP in September 2014.

Interview

Came to my university after I applied through my university and on BP's website. I applied to only the Trading Internship, but ending up interviewing for a completely different job. I didn't find out until the interview. I was completely caught off guard and honestly mad. I would never work for a company that surprises you like that and thinks they know your interests better than yourself. Anyway, I ended up interviewing for a finance position within IST, that I was uninterested in and would never accept. Interview started off behavioral based then moved to an easy case study. After the case study, I had many questions about the position and the interviewer didn't know a single answer. It was laughable. A complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Case study consisted of a hypothetic business project that wasn't performing as expected and whether or not to continue or terminate the project. Just had to walk through your thought process.   Answer Question

BP IST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied though my school and then got an in person interview at the career center at my school. The in person interview was conducted by two Bp employees. One was HR and the other one worked on the trade floor. They were pleasant and throughly explained the technical questions. I got one question wrong and then they went through it with me and explained why my answer was wrong. As long as you show confidence throughout the interview they will think of you as a valuable candidate.

Applied Geologist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BP in September 2014.

Interview

It was a 75-minute interview. The conversation was loosely framed around a set of questions that the interviewer chose. It looked like he had to pick 2-3 out of 5-10 questions per category, so it wasn't as bad as when they're forced to ask really specific questions. The questions were about how I work on my own, in groups, what challenges I faced and how I faced them, and a few scientific questions. The interviewer was easy to talk to, and before I knew it the 75 minutes were over. It felt like having a regular conversation.

I had a better offer from another company.

Corrosion Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at BP in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through university had a 75 minute interview 45 minutes was a behavioral interview following the common STAR format 30 minute was a case interview- need to have prior experience or background knowledge to assist with the question

Interview Questions

• Case interview as I had no background in corrosion engineer   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX).

Interview

Many offers are given at college interviews or at the end of an internship. They will only talk to top 10% and Masters+ students. Hiring goals constantly change hence some offers get rescinded. Focus answers around actual achievements, being a team player, and passion for the business and learning. Research and a thesis that are industry related is major plus.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked to give examples of something you proposed where you made a difference. It could be a better flow around tables in a restaurant, just something that shows action. There are proposed questions for an interviewer but it's up to him/her as to what to ask. Most ask how you handled a difficult boss or someone you worked with. BP doesn't like conflict and wants folk who can resolve issues not create them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have the most leverage when accepting a new job, after that it's a statistical play. Be reasonable but if it's really important then ask. They might say OK.