BP Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

3.3

BP IST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied though my school and then got an in person interview at the career center at my school.
    The in person interview was conducted by two Bp employees. One was HR and the other one worked on the trade floor. They were pleasant and throughly explained the technical questions. I got one question wrong and then they went through it with me and explained why my answer was wrong.
    As long as you show confidence throughout the interview they will think of you as a valuable candidate.

Asset and Process Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Blaine, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at BP (Blaine, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

i applied online through the website at least a year ago for the position. thats correct, at least a year ago! i was so used to receiving adverse emails from them that i nearly deleted the email that said "congratulations... you have been selected...: blah blah blah. i never understood how congrats could be in order, when i wasnt offered a job (yet.) :) my philosphy is that when you receive notifications like that the company's HR system must be the infamous black hole people discuss. anyway, i was quite excited to receive the call with the hiring manager for two reasons. 1. it was with BP. 2. location, location, location. it was located in an area in WA quite close to the canadian border. a beautiful area. anyway, the nice things end there.
    the HR manager obviously was young, sneaky and what a call a "desk jockey" engineer. it was further proven in the interview when i asked about her background. she sounded like the typical engineer given her positon simply because of her looks. and im not trying to be spiteful, just telling the truth. it was further compounded by her unprofessionalism through the interview. i could go on and on and on. by her demeanor, i simply do not know how she became a manager of other engineers. i knew she was someone i wouldnt want to work for when she made the typical comment "...you will hear something in two weeks, about the process, depending on HR they are so slow... "
    right...
     my conclusion? BP is one of those companies that takes the top 10% of recent chemical engineering grads and brainwashes them.
    all theory, not much plant experience. which may explain the reasons why they had those "issues" in the past. engineers without actual plant experience is a real problem. theres a reason they call it "hands on" for a reason. to design without knowing, is to design a real problem.

Interview Questions

• none really. typical "good cop" interview where they want you to reveal yourself.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Best way to land a job in BP, as with other big oil companies is to complete an internship. Historically there's an over 50% chance that interns will be offered a full time job after completing a summer internship. The recruiting process typically comprises behavioral interviews/experience based interviews as well as technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you felt the most energized being an employee?   Answer Question

Electrical & Mechanical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BP (Seattle, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

Multi phase process. Began with a Job Skills Test (3 hr test including behavioral, mechanical and electrical related questions). Next phase was a 15 min phone interview. last phase was a work demonstation that consisted of rebuilding a valve with a set of instructions in 45 mins. then there was an electrical work demonstration where I had to wire a power box via a wiring diagram. Then came the panel interview which consisted of four engineers asking various situational/behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• All were typical behavioral questions. A cple tech questions like the difference between PSi and differential pressure.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Interview

Phone interview that lasted approximately an hour with a recruiter from the human resources department at the company. The time on the phone mainly focused on my background and what I had done in previuos roles. We also discussed the need for the position (why was it vacant and for how long) and I asked a few questions.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions with a ask for a salary range at the end.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BP (Warrenville, IL).

Interview

The hiring process required one phone interview and one face-to-face interview in front of a panel. The face-to-face interview included more than 10 questions, one right after another. The questions were on personal work experience, and the related future role, which in this case was related to strategy. Case studies were used during the interview.

Interview Questions

• One question was on how depreciation expense affects the income statement.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to increase my signing bonus a little bit by negotiating with the hiring manager.

Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BP.

Interview

I hired on as an intern which only involved one interview, mostly of situational questions. Nothing too hard, just asking to describe what you would do in certain situations. They want to hear how you put safety first. This is not the typical approach for interviews and this was the process years ago - I'm sure it has changed.

Interview Questions

• They ask to describe how a heat exchanger works. Also know how basic machinery works like a compressor or pump.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate your signing bonus! I got offered 10%. My friend told me to offer double, so 20%. I was too nervous to push the envelope so I asked for 15% and they gave it to me no problem. Especially if you have previous experience you can play up.

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BP.

Interview

One phone interview with a few follow-ups. Interview with hiring manager and team.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BP.

Interview

On-campus interview. Behavioral based questions and a case question at the end. Rigorous questions but nothing too difficult.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BP (Naperville, IL).

Interview

Interview is grueling. In short, you can be masterful for the job itself, but if you don't answer the questions correctly, which have barely anything to do with the job itself, then you are quickly eliminated. For example, if you are applying to be a financial analyst, you may be asked to talk about a time when you needed to sell a difficult decision, or talk about how you respond to time crunches…..you aren't asked if you can actually crunch numbers!!!

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you have identified a risk to operational/project delivery. What was the risk and how did you identify it? Why did you consider it to be a risk? What action did you take? How did your actions affect the operational/project delivery? What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. BP is well aware of their size and "big league" mentality. They are aware there is 1000 applicants for every job. If you don't like it, then move aside because someone else will take what you don't want.