BP

350 candidate interviews

Commercial Interview

Commercial

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Online tests followed by a phone interview, a technical interview and an assessment centre. Assessment was a half day consisting of two group exercises and an individual exercise, all of which were different case studies. About 14 others at the assessment day and were all split into groups of 5.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected, however quite a few calculations to be made in the exercises and a large amount of information to consider.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Chemical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – BP has a career fair in my university. I had an on-campus interview for one and half hours. Most of them are behavior questions. After two weeks, I was invited for the on-site interview. May questions were repeated by different interviewers such as challenge, safety, and leadership. They did not ask any case study questions. The presentation is about 45 minutes and people asked about technical questions.

Interview Question – what is your least favorite class   Answer Question

Chemical Intern Interview

Chemical Intern

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Online application, online tests, phone interview then technical interview. Phone interview you should just be relaxed and treat it like a chat to a colleague. Use the STAR interview technique to efficiency get your answers across. Research the company as well to ensure you are aware of the skills required for the role you have applied for.

Interview Question – What did I dislike about my degree?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Geoscience Intern Interview

Geoscience Intern

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Initial screening application which progressed instantly to full application. After application with usual competency and why do you want to work for us questions I was invited to submit online tests. These were numerical and verbal reasoning tests which were hard but I passed them to my surprise. Then I was invited to a personal interview 30mins long over the phone. Again all straight forward competency and personal questions. This progressed to technical interview at a BP site which was very hard but straight forward too. The interviewers were very nice and put me at ease. Unfortunately I did not progress but I will apply next year for graduate position instead.

Interview Question – When have you helped someone else in education?   Answer Question

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

GRADUATE POSITION

I applied online and interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Technical Interview - Initial questions were typical competency and interest related but these were followed by two case studies that required long answers.

Interview Question – The business cases were probably the most difficult aspect of the interview, although you are provided with ample time to read through the documentation and respond.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Applied online; process was fairly quick. I first had a telephone interview with HR, pretty standard competency. This was followed by a technical interview in Aberdeen. Asked me about university experience, then onto scenario based questions about wells, drilling and drilling fluids etc. Looked like they had about 5 or 6 scenarios to choose from but only gave 2.

Interview Question – I wasn't sure what to expect generally over complicated technical aspects when they were actually looking for much simpler answer relating to basic mechanics.   Answer Question

Geoscience Internship Interview

Geoscience Internship

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Completed standard application and online tests. Telephone interview was straight forward, followed by a technical interview in Aberdeen. Had assessment centre 2 weeks later, which was very challenging but overall a valuable experience. This involved both individual and group exercises.

Interview Question – When have you helped someone?   Answer Question

Senior PSCM Specialist Interview

Senior PSCM Specialist

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Long and extensive interview that took place face to face with two mangers and detailed questions were asked about all the previous job experience. Practical examples from previous experience to demonstrate competency were asked.

Reliability Engineer Interview

Reliability Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – I hired on as an intern which only involved one interview, mostly of situational questions. Nothing too hard, just asking to describe what you would do in certain situations. They want to hear how you put safety first. This is not the typical approach for interviews and this was the process years ago - I'm sure it has changed.

Interview Question – They ask to describe how a heat exchanger works. Also know how basic machinery works like a compressor or pump.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your signing bonus! I got offered 10%. My friend told me to offer double, so 20%. I was too nervous to push the envelope so I asked for 15% and they gave it to me no problem. Especially if you have previous experience you can play up.

Communications Interview

Communications

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Phone interview that lasted approximately an hour with a recruiter from the human resources department at the company. The time on the phone mainly focused on my background and what I had done in previuos roles. We also discussed the need for the position (why was it vacant and for how long) and I asked a few questions.

Interview Question – Typical questions with a ask for a salary range at the end.   Answer Question