BP Interview Questions

3.3

BP IST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at BP in September 2012.

Interviewed on campus. 1 part behavioral, 1 part case study (includes mental math).

Functional Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BP in February 2013.

I was on a teleconference call with the consulting firm owner/ceo and the person in charge of hiring me at BP. We spoke for about an hour about the position and my abilities and past experiences.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't any unexpected questions or most difficult questions.   Answer Question
    none, we agreed the first time we negotiated the salary

Commercial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

Met at career fair, and had a 1 hour interview on campus 1/2 behavioral 1/2 business situation you might experience at the job dealing with gas stations. Flew out to site, 2 interviews, 1 same as at career fair but against a panel of 3 interviewers, and the other in a group.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral--something about ethics or what you would do if you saw someone doing something unethical   Answer Question

Mechnaical Engineering Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BP.

It was a behavioral interview with one technical question. The technical question was about equilibrium mechanics, but they vary.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in March 2012.

My year was a bit different in that BP hired directly from the pool of intern candidates. My interview was in March, as the normal fall recruiting hadn't covered the needed number of summer interns. They emailed out in January saying that they would be doing an additional round of interviews, so I responded to express my interest. In the next few weeks, they sent out an invitation to come to Houston to do a site visit and interviews. I drove, but I know some people were flown in from out of state for the site interview Mon/Tues.

I'd assume that the recruiting team was more or less watching the dynamics of the group, who got along with others, what group seemed to be the most interactive, etc. Of the people in the interview process, I got to know a lot of the more outgoing and personable candidates, and I think most of us got hired (if that says something about personality that they look for.)

The actual interview consisted of two separate interviews. The first was technical, the second more of a softskill, tell us about yourself type.

The soft skills interview was pretty typical, tell us about yourself. I think anyone can pass any company's behavioral interview if they can interact well and know the principles of the company (ie, read the mission statement and core values!)

Interview Questions
    • The technical question was about statics of beam loading (I'm a mechanical engineer), and I had fortunately just had an exam the week before about that. I don't think they expected me to pull out equations (like I said, I just had an exam), but the ability of just looking at a problem and coming up with reasonable expectations of "what is going to happen" and asking the right questions to get more info.   View Answer
    You can't negotiate starting salary. Depending on who you sign with, there may be some flexibility with the signing bonus, but be sure you have a good reason to ask.

Geophysicist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in September 2013.

Interviewed at job fair, heard back within 5 weeks. Everyone very helpful along the way and I felt that they were really interested in how the experience was for me. I think it definitely helped that I was referred by one of their previous interns and his supervisor. I did have to follow up to get information on my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Had to interpret seismic section, relatively simple, kind of poor quality data.   View Answer
    No negotiation for internship.

Senior Landman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at BP in July 2011.

was average for a contract position

Fluids Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in December 2012.

I received the employee's business card from a friend trying to help. After multiple emails online including sending my resume, we agreed to meet at lunch time. The correspondence led me to believe it was a meet and greet and not an official interview.

There were two interviewers and not just one, surprising. I dressed casually and they wanted me to wear a suit. The interviewer never read my resume, and he was angry I did not bring one. That is a mistake that I will never make again. The two interviewers talked about staying positive in the interview even if I am asked about my negatives. We discussed my educational experience, work experience, and general life questions. We ate lunch in the meantime. We also talked about interesting specifics someone of my background could get involved with.

The interviewers ordered alcoholic beverages, which is unprofessional in the United States. They offered constructive criticism, and , at times, went a little too far. However, this meeting was not conducted through H.R., so it was unofficial. All in all, the interview was a good learning experience, but I was never aware that he wanted this meeting to be a interview.

After the interview, our correspondence ceased.

PSCM Intern - Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP.

Very straight forward application process. First step was to apply through my university and then through the BP website. I did not have to answer any essay questions unlike what other reviewers mentioned. After completing the resume screening, I went through an on campus interview consisting of behavioral questions and a case study. My interviewer read off a list of general "describe a time..." behavioral questions for the most part and then transitioned into more company value specific questions.

The case study portion was also a multiple step business scenario. Did not involve any math and I believe was mostly used to analyze my thought process, understanding of the situation and respective stakeholders, and connection to company values.

It was a very intuitive process with no unnecessarily difficult questions and just great experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to learn to respect someone.   Answer Question

IST Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

Career Fair and online application

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly normal questions. There was the technical part they focus on, to do that, you just need to do some simple math. Great interview experience.   Answer Question
    N/A