BP Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at BP in January 2012.

Interview was 2 stages. First they had an HR rep ask about why I wanted to work there, a difficult experience, when you did something poorly and how you learned from it/improved yourself, etc. Then there was a technical part where they asked some basic heat transfer/statics questions to see how you responded.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for BP

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunbury, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunbury, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BP in December 2012.

Interview process consisted of 5 stages:
       - Application form
       - Online tests (verbal and numerical)
       - Telephone interview
       - Technical interview
       - Assessment centre

Application form consisted of the usual things, experiences that relate to the key things BP are looking for. Teamwork, excellence, challenges etc.

Online tests consist of a verbal reasoning and numerical part, reading passages and then assessing if a statement is true based on what you're read, that sort of thing. Numeric side looks at interpreting graphs, calculating percentages etc. BP provide links to practice these before hand and many more websites exist for you to get some practice.

Telephone interview is a competency based interview - think of a time you worked as a team etc. Very friendly member of HR team called me and explained the process very clearly, gave me time to ask any questions and then we had a quick chat before launching into the questions.

Technical interview next, I was invited to Sunbury to the International Business Centre for an interview with a senior engineer. After a quick discussion about why I was interested in the role and my academic background (modules I enjoyed, didn't enjoy etc.) we discussed my part C university project and then moved on to the standard technical questions she had prepared. These focused on mechanical statics problems and fundamentals engineers learn in the first year, was challenging digging that knowledge back up but it was still in there! Another question looked at knowledge of gearboxes and power transfer, again this will have been covered in the first couple of years of an engineering degree. Interview was relaxed and if you're stuck just ask for some clarity, if you start getting confused the interviewer helps by saying "well, what about this..." and nudges you in the right direction. I get the impression they're looking for you to think your way around the problem rather than get it 'right'.

Final stage was an assessment centre with other intern applicants and a few grad scheme applicants. It lasts half a day and consisted of 3 exercises and some reflection on how you feel you are doing. First task is to analyse a load of information and make a decision based on what you've read then write a press release. Final 2 tasks are group discussion and a group meeting, this was assessed by an external company (I think) with two assessors sitting in making notes. In the group meeting a member of BP comes in and asks questions looking for you to justify your group decision. Usual group task rules apply - make a contribution but don't shout anybody down, make clear arguments and take on board things people say to you. If you disagree then explain why and try to convince people to your way of thinking. Try not to 'go with the flow' too much - you ultimately want to be noticed, but for the right reasons.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or too difficult. Make sure you know why you want to work for BP - specifically your role and make sure you remember fundamental engineering from first year.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, very fast process given the number of stages and incredibly efficient given BP receive thousands of applicants. Awaiting my placement location currently (Feb 2012) and accepted in December 2012.