BP Process Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 9, 2015

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BP (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

Personal Interview, Technical Interview, Group problem-solving, Case Study and Presenting decision on case study.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer showed me a PID (Process and instrumentation diagram) and was asked to explain it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BP

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BP (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter at a Science and Engineering Career Fair and was offered an interview on campus that week. The interview had behavioral and technical questions, and the panel consisted of an experienced engineering manager and a young engineer. I received the offer by phone a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical question required some fundamental knowledge of fluid mechanics that was difficult to articulate well before at an early point in my major.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BP (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I submitted my application online. A few weeks later, I received a phone call to setup an interview. The interview took 6 hours and consisted of a behavioral interview, technical interview, lunch, and a refinery tour. They had one more week of interviews after mine, and I received an offer the very next Monday after they had finished.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to work with a diverse group of people   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, the offer was far beyond what I expected.

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BP (Toledo, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

2 sets of interviews 1st round was with 2 engineers that lasted ~1 hour. 2nd round was a site interview which included dinner the night before with 2 other candidates and ~8 engineers and 3 engineering managers. During the actual interview it included 4 interviews with 2 interviewers each and a site tour.

Interview Questions

• 1st round they asked behavioral questions and then asked me to draw a distillation column and then a distillation tray.   Answer Question
    • 2nd round on site interview included more behavioral questions then I was asked to troubleshoot a fin fan that was not cooling to specifications.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were unwilling to negotiate salary, but were willing to move my start date forward by 2 months.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

During my summer internship, I had an exit interview that purposed as my full time interview. Fairly standard questions. Was between my mentor and HR manager at the time. We had discussed roles that were of mutual interest between me and BP. After initial interview with mentor and HR manager, I was set up with a few team leads that I had expressed interest in working for and a few others that had expressed interest in me working for them.

Interview Questions

• How has your summer experience at BP shaped your idea of future employment at BP full time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved what so ever. It was shut down rather quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BP (Pullman, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

BP came to my college campus for a career fair and conducted interviews following the career fair. The interview starts off with personal questions that range from what you are most proud of to give an example of when you set your sights to high or failed at something. The interview was really straight forward and laid back. The second half of the interview consisted of a technical question to see how well you could think on your feet. My question involved a pipeline that went from a location inland to offshore, that had to travel over a mountain and into a valley.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question for me was having to apply equations to the technical question. BP asked me if I knew any equations for what was happening inside the pipeline.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP (London, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

Asked questions on exothermic reactions and how to avoid runaway reactions; Hazop study; how pumps and compressors work. Spoke a lot about my extracurricular activities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP (Toledo, OH) in November 2009.

Interview

Got a call about having an on-site interview, I worked in the industry so they didn't ask for a phone interview. They payed for my gas and lodgings. Got to the site early in the morning, had a small tour of the office, then got right down to the interviews. Interviewed with the two guys who would be my bosses, lots of situation questions. Then I had a skills review with two of the engineers. Lots of how does a tower run, what would you do if your plant wasn't operating well question. Overall, nice people.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP in October 2013.

Interview

I went to their info session. Then I saw them at the career fair. They contacted me a week later to set up an interview. Interview was over an hour long and included a personal (STAR format) section and then a technical section.

Another offer

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

There was a number of stages which had to be completed however BP was very efficient in the way that these were carried out. From receiving an invitation for online tests to receiving an offer only took two weeks. Overall I would say it was the best recruiting experience I have had thus far.