BP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Commercial IST Interview

Commercial IST
London, England (UK)

I interviewed at BP in January 2014.

Interview Details – Went through the standard initial screening of CV and questions. Got to the phone interview where it was a competency based interview. Standard questions for you to display your qualities and personality through examples. The next stage was a one on one technical interview in Canary Wharf where you would be given case studies in which you talk and reason your decisions to the accessor. The final stage is the assessment centre. There were about 11 of us half from the IST commercial stream, half from the IST analytics stream. The first segment was a group discussion about a case study and there would be a panel acessing the group dynamics and also the individual performance. The next segment was a one on one business case presentation, that lasts roughly for 45mins. The last segment was the group discussion again.

Pipeline Engineer Interview

Pipeline Engineer

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Online Tests- Maths and English
Telephone Interview - Company core competencies, how do you manage your time? What tools do you use?
Face-To-Face Interview - Research the company and topic area, held in Aberdeen all expenses paid
Assessment Centre - Be yourself, individual test on a case study and two group case studies.

Interview Question – Tell me where the pressures, high and low, would be on this pipeline   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Customer Service Assistant
Reading, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a reply 2 weeks later asking for me to come in for an interview. I went in and spent maybe 30 mins filling out some paperwork and also received a small test paper. After this i had maybe a 10-15 minute interview/chat with the hiring manager where they asked me some basic questions + "what would i do if" stuff. They were very good with answering any questions i had and explained in lots of detail. After the interview i was told they'd get back to me that very afternoon, 2 hours later they phoned to offer me the job.

Interview Question – Nothing overly difficult, asked the usual questions "Tell me about yourself?", "Why did you apply for this company?" also asked some questions regarding what i'd do in certain situations, For example a customer complains about a product, someone holds a gun up to you, a staff member doing something unsafe.   Answer Question

Graduate Process Engineer Interview

Graduate Process Engineer
Sunbury, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Applied online, followed by online tests, telephone interview and a technical interview at their Sunbury office. The process is quick.
For telephone interview, basic competency questions.
For technical interview, two case studies, testing basic knowledge.

Interview Question – Example of teamwork, favourite subject etc   Answer Question

Backbone PMO Global Change Lead Interview

Backbone PMO Global Change Lead
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in December 2011.

Interview Details – face to face with several team members, However also person question as well as job specific questions. BP think it is very important you fit in with the team so like to know a little bit about you.

Interview Question – Normal questions but they do like to make you think about other processes as they combine roles and move people once your in   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very good and swift process, If they like you they come for you, They tend to stick to budgets so if your not happy with the initail offer they may find someone who is.

Senior PSCM Specialist Interview

Senior PSCM Specialist

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details – Long and extensive interview that took place face to face with two mangers and detailed questions were asked about all the previous job experience. Practical examples from previous experience to demonstrate competency were asked.

Human Resources Graduate Scheme Interview

Human Resources Graduate Scheme
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in February 2014.

Interview Details – Although BP's selection process consists of many stages and is not an easy one, it is a pleasant journey to take. When I submitted my application, I had to fill in some initial screening questions, which aim to check the applicant's education, grades and availability to work in the UK. In the second stage I had to answer some more graduate schemish questions regarding my past experience and my future goals. After I passed this stage, I was invited to sit for verbal and numerical online tests. In my opinion, BP's tests are more reasonable and may be easier in comparison to others. After the online tests, I went through a telephone, competency-based interview. I would say that this interview was thorough as well as challenging, because of its fast pace and its wide variety of questions. The candidate has to be well-prepared to make it through. Afterwards, I was invited to an in-site, technical interview, where I faced two business scenarios. At this stage, the candidate should review her/is university books (this is if the position you apply for is relevant to your degree) and conduct some research around the oil and gas industry and around BP. Also, having some frameworks in your mind (STEEPLE, SWOT etc.) is always helpful. Lastly, I went to an in-site assessment centre. The other applicants and I had to do three tasks (two group and one individual). All tasks were relevant to the industry and the job and not generic. Researching assessment centre tasks, such as group discussions, by reading articles and watching youtube videos is pretty helpful in the sense that you can get a feeling of the real thing and create your strategy beforehand. Also, while performing the tasks, one should pay close attention to the competences that BP asks from its grads, as well as to BP's values!
Overall, as a candidate and an HR practitioner, I strongly believe that BP's selection process is sophisticated and successful for the following reasons. Firstly, the candidate feels more and more interested in the industry, the company and the job during the selection process. Secondly, the candidate feels a respected and valued individual during the process, as it is well-organised (e.g. the online 'candidate zone' that includes a lot of useful info and a personal contact from BP) and quick (in comparison to other grad schemes). Also, I have to mention that everyone from BP is very nice and polite to the candidate at all stages. Lastly, I think that all the tasks are revenant to the job, as they are not generic, but they assess specific and job-related skills and competences.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. If you are well-prepared to face a challenging competency-based interview and knowledgable about the technical skills that your role requires, you should be ok. A scenario you could face at the technical assessment is 'what would you do as an HR manager at BP if we went into a new country or acquired a company and you were in charge.'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since it is a Grad Scheme.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sunbury, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in February 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews; one is with the line manager, another with HR. Mainly competence based, but also a few technical questions.

Interview Question – Example of when you encountered different objectives from client and how did you manage   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location - not in central London; salary - not matching my expectations

Graduate Scheme-HR Interview

Graduate Scheme-HR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – online application-phone interview-technical interview-assessment centre. I received the phone interview in feb. 2014. The lady is quite easy going and the interview consisted of 2 parts. The first part is quite general, like your career goal, why BP, why HR. The second part was competencies based interview, asked examples about your team work, etc. and I was required to describe it in details.

Interview Question – three examples about team work   Answer Question

Geoscience Internship Interview

Geoscience Internship

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details – Completed standard application and online tests. Telephone interview was straight forward, followed by a technical interview in Aberdeen. Had assessment centre 2 weeks later, which was very challenging but overall a valuable experience. This involved both individual and group exercises.

Interview Question – When have you helped someone?   Answer Question

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!