BT

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

3.1

BT Graduate Scheme (Software Engineering) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BT in November 2014.

I was not given any kind of tests to do that I recall (but they may be lost in my mind amongst all the others). Once my application had been reviewed and they decided they wanted to interview me, they called me to arrange this and give me a brief summary of the structure of the interview.

The Skype interview is long and thorough. Very important to do your research on the company.

The recruiter I skyped with was very friendly and not too formal. I think they want you to build rapport with your interviewer too, mine offered opportunity for a little small talk before the start of the questions.

They asked numerous questions on:
    1) The companies products, services and values
    2) Reasons for applying to the company, the role, a role your area generally
    3) Your technical ability, competency and relevant experience

The feedback for answers was (approximately) as follows:
    1 - You should have done plenty of research and know about the company, it's various departments and what products and services they provide. You should be well aware of the companies values and how they resonate with you - I was asked this. Knowing about the areas in which BT do business, their main competitors, and how current technology trends affect the way they work is important.

2 - Again, you should have researched and understood exactly why you want to work for BT, and BT specifically. They want you to be passionate and clear about your reasons for applying there over other places. The same goes for why you applied to the specific role/programme, and why you want to pursue a career in that area.

3 - You will be asked a number of technical questions both about your field and about the areas in which BT does business (but oriented to where you applied). They want you to demonstrate good ability and understanding of your field, but also be honest about areas that you are weaker in (this seems strange, but it's what I was told in my feedback). You should also be able to provide a number of examples of personal experiences where you have displayed technical ability and general competency (teamwork, leadership, etc.).

If you succeed in the interview stage you will be shortlisted for the assessment centres. Succeeding at interview does not guarantee you a place at one. They review shortlisted candidates on the merits of their entire application process and select from there. I am yet to hear on their decision from this stage so cannot provide any details of the further process.

Interview Questions
    • Can you provide an example of a time when you used a new technology to further improve/shake up an existing system?

What do you think the most exciting current trend in technology is? How does/will this effect the way BT does business? (Asked as separate sequential questions, so bare that in mind when answering the former. I got caught out.)

View Answer

BT Graduate Scheme - Business Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BT.

I had been impressed with the efficiency of the application process up until this point - BT were quick to get back to me after the results of my online tests and application form. I received a call from someone at Futureboard Consulting, who handle the graduate applications, to arrange a Skype interview.

I connected with the lady on Skype and she was very nice and friendly. However we had been speaking for 5 minutes when someone else called and there was confusion as to who was supposed to be interviewing me. She put me on mute and left me for a while as they sorted it out; meanwhile I was left with a blank screen and could hear other interviewers in the background. It completely disrupted the flow of the interview, and when she returned I could no longer see her face which meant it was much more difficult to build any kind of rapport. She had said she had to stick to a tight 30 min time slot as she was interviewing someone else immediately after, but then wasted 10-15 minutes trying to sort out their mistake. As a result, my interview was only 15 minutes long and I do not feel that I had a chance to sufficiently demonstrate my competencies and motivation. She asked a couple of simple questions and did not seem very interested in what I had to say. Furthermore, I asked her a relatively straightforward question about what BT graduates tend to do after finishing the programme and she did not know, as she works for Futureboard and not BT.

I am aware that perhaps I was just not right for the programme, but I think the manner in which the interview was handled was wholly unprofessional and that I was put at a severe disadvantage because the lady was in a rush to get on with the next interview and didn't give me a chance to express what I wanted to say. I am extremely disappointed and don't feel like my application was valued after all the effort I had put in.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly competency questions such as a time working in a team, working with a difficult person, why BT, why this scheme   Answer Question

Account Director Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at BT.

normal process of 4 rounds of interview, such as 1-1 interview with immediate manager, 1-1 interview with business unit head, panel interview with counter parts, HR interview with background reference check.

Interview Questions
    • normal questions for sales person, ie what is a good sales person, why client shall buy from you, and etc.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at BT.

Interview taken was really good, but was not in line with the project work. Do clarify yourself about exact project Roles and Responsibility during interview. You may not get to work on whatever was asked in interview.

Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at BT.

Three rounds of interview - Communication test, Technical interview and hr round. Interview process was quite easy than others. Technical interview round was quite long but recruiters were very good and made us very comfortable during face to face interview.

BT Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BT.

Initial application via website, with questions to be answered and submission of CV. Upon a positive answer, I moved on to online tests (not hard, within mathematics, logic, etc). Then I was invited for a phone interview. I found this part of the process very bad. The interviewer read the questions as robot, there was no interaction whatsoever! It would be the same as answering to a machine. He had no answers to my questions and finally said he could not give me an estimate time of contact for the Assessment Centre. In the first two weeks BT sent me e-mails reassuring they would contact soon. They actually sent the same e-mail a couple of times and later excused themselves for sending repeated e-mails. Very poor communication. After many mails in the initial two weeks, they just stopped sending anything.
    Finally, after more than a month (around 6 weeks), I got a positive answer and was invited to the Assessment Centre, which would take place in less than a week. I find this disrespectful with candidates who apply from abroad, as travelling costs are high. By then, I was no longer interested in the position and politely reclined. One week later they sent me an e-mail saying that they were sorry but I was not invited to the Assessment Centre. I nearly laughed... They have such a bad communication system, I can't understand how a telecom company can make such rookie mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly difficult questions. Just got asked about the future challenges of the telecom business, how to improve BT products, etc.. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

The process in itself is very poorly managed. They take several weeks to invite to further steps, miscommunicate a lot and do not care about the interviewee at all.

Director Operations Interview

It was very quick and the hiring process was completed within two weeks. This is one of positive things BT has; quick process if the candidate convinces them that he/she has the skills and knowledge they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were standard and no difficult questions made.   Answer Question
    It was tough as they did not want to get to what I was looking for.

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I applied online – interviewed at BT.

The first step of the hiring process is the CV screening, where candidates are asked to fill in some situational / behavioral questions online about their past experiences, besides providing a presentation of themselves and their resume. Upon passing this step, candidates are sent an online test, which is the usual numerical test where you have to interpret graphs and tables. The only difficult part is the timeframe, as each question (which might not be straightforward at all) has to be answered in approx. one minutes. If they pass this step, candidates are invited to a phone interview, held by a Londinese external agency, that lasts approx. 30 minutes and is based on behavioral questions (e.g. "tell me a case where you showed your ability to overcome this and this obstacle"; "tell me a case of success where you worked in team to solve a problem" etc). The thing I didn't like is the impersonality of the interview: the interviewer speaks in an extremely "mechanical" way, without making any feeling emerge, as she was doing it for the thousandth time in a row and was not even paying attention to what you are saying. You don't have the chance to let emerge your true "nature" as you have to strictly answer her questions and after a minute that you're answering she interrupts you to ask the next question, with this "mechanical" voice and attitude that is pretty annoying.

Interview Questions
    • Each question is divided in some sub-questions, e.g. find an example of a situation where you showed this ability. And then: what you found hard; what you found relatively easy; what you could have done differently; what you learnt; what you…. etc.!   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

The hiring and interview process has been good . There were 3 rounds of technical interviews followed by management round . The HR has called very late in the evening which was surprising and not expected .

Interview Questions
    • How you do conflict management in the team ?   View Answer
    Yes I was able to negotiate to a good amount . Decline the offer in case you did not like the same .

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BT in June 2014.

Step 1:
    Online Tests. Simple and clear
    Step 2:
    Interview with the recruiter, very nice and general interests about my CV and what I can add to the company.
    Step 3: Technical Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • I was not prepared for the variety of questions covering multiple programming languages.   Answer Question