BT

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.1

Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at BT.

I went through external recruitment processes, which involved telphone interview followed by 1:1 in BT office. Process was well controlled and structured

Interview Questions
    • Challenged me on technical experience, which at the time was limited to due previous role in NHS.   Answer Question

Graduate Technology - Network Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BT.

Online application - online logical deductive and inductive test - skype interview (Competency based), technical phone interview, Asessment Center

Finance Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at BT.

Interview was mainly conversational. There were normal questions asked about previous work experience and skillset. Interviewer was detailed in explaining job, but lacked interest after a while. Interviewer was reluctant to comment about company culture, benefits, not sure why. The interview lasted for about forty minutes. Main question asked was if I was willing to put in long hours into the job.

Graduate - Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at BT in April 2014.

Whole process was a bit of a mess. First applied in December 2013 and I heard back that I had not been successful. A few months later I then heard from someone at Futureboard to say I actually had been successful and to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was fine and very informal basically just competency based questions. I then had the assessment center at the Ipswich office. The day in general was quite good. The analysis exercise was good practice for doing a SWOT analysis and the presentation was quite good as you could do it on a topic of your choice. The group exercise seemed pretty pointless as we decided our option quite quickly and therefore spent the rest of the time just discussing strengths and weaknesses. The main issue I had with the application process is that I never heard back from BT or Futureboard about whether I got the job or not. They had said that they would get back within a few days. I contacted Futureboard several times and they were unable to give me an answer. Obviously there was some breakdown in communication somewhere.

Management Graduate Programmer Interview

The first stage was the application process, followed by a numeracy and verbal test. Having been successful, I was invited for a telephone interview which consisted only in competency based questions e.g. example of working in a team, example where you showed leadership skills, example when solved a problem.
    Last stage was the assessment center which consisted in a group work, presentation, business case and interview.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BT in March 2014.

I applied this job through Futureboard, there will be one online test, skype interview and then assessment centre. The online test is normal logical test you can get from other companies. The skype interview involved some technical and competency questions.

Java/J2EE Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at BT.

Core java written,4 Technical ,Hr

Technology Graduate IT & Systems Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BT in February 2014.

The process started with completing my application in September 2013. From there, I had a telephone comfirmation with Future Board in November, Technical Skype interview with Future Board in December, and finally, Assessment Centre at BT Ipswich in February 2014.

The process is long, however, you have to keep in mind the amount of applications that are processed, therefore, the time scale is expected.

1. At the first stage you can expect the standard filling out application.
    2. Online Test
    3. Telephone confirmation is just to confirm everything and set a date for Skype interview.
    4. Skype interview as 3 parts and asks questions such as...
         - What are your interests in BT, Technology, and where you see yourself in 5 years.
         - Competency based questions like... Tell me a time when...?
         - Technical questions are things like... Describe the 7 layer ISO Model? What is your knowledge of Honeypots, Firewalls, difference between Routers and Switches etc...
    5. The Assessment Centre is divided into 4 stages.
        - Team Assignment where you will each be given a potential project that BT are looking to work on. You will have 10 minutes to analyse this project and 40 minutes to discuss the pro's and con's of each project with your team. The team must come to an agreement on which project they want to go with.
        - Report Assignment is an individual task where you will be given a 6 / 8 page report of a current project. Your task will be to analyse this report and brake it down in terms of a SWOT analysis and present your findings to a BT manager. You will have 10 minutes to present and 5 minutes Q & A.
        - Interview with line manager
        - Presentation - BT send you a topic that you need to research. I was given the task to look at Technology Trends and apply them to how they can best benefit BT. You'll receive this a few days before the Assessment Centre day. Your task is to put a 10 minute presentation together and present it to a line manager, and prepare for 10 minute Q & A.

This all sounds daunting, but from my experience, it is a fun and interesting day. The tasks can be challenging, but I like that!

Tip: At the team discussion, with deciding what project to choose - If you don't believe your project is the strongest, don't disgard it to quickly, discuss it with the team and allow it to have it's fair share of consideration. The idea that I was given was the weakest out of all the other ideas in the team, I relised this straight away. Instead of allowing the team to discuss it and come to the conclusion that I already had, I suggested that we just left it alone. In my feedback, this came across as weak. I thought is was intelligence and time saving so we could focus on the more attractive projects, but I was wrong. This is about showing your thought process and not just about being right, I guess (I live and learn).

The feedback you get is brilliant! Future Board and BT try to give you real and honest feedback, whether they take you on or not.

I found out about the outcome of the Assessment Centre just two days later.

I do recommend this process, regardless if you get the job, the experience is great and valuable.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, everything was standard and nothing was asked to trip you up. BT seemed genuinely interested in getting to know you and how you compare to what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BT in February 2014.

Contacted through LinkedIN asking a copy of my CV. After a couple of days I've been called by the HR to arrange an interview at their office.
    The interview was mostly about my previous experiences and interests. I've also had to take an english test of about 20 minutes. (quite easy)

Graduate Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BT in January 2014.

1) PRESENTATION - you get the topic to present on a week before your ac, just make sure your presentation talks about BT, highlighting what they're competitors are doing and what BT is doing to beat them (This stage is meant to show how much you KNOW about BT!!).

2) TECHNICAL INTERVIEW - I found this stage quite less formal, its more like an hour long chat with your potential manager, but make SURE you brush up on your network terminologies like TCP, UDP, QoS etc. and also PREPARE questions to ask your interviewer (shows you're interested in the job), and even more IMPORTANT, do not mumble over a question you don't know the answer to, and always ask for the answer from the interviewer, don't just let him/her move on to the next question!

3) GROUP CHAT - I really enjoyed this stage the most! the advice I can give is that you should try to make as many friends as possible during the day. And also during the group chat assessment, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT argue! once you argue, then that's it, you might as well pack your bags and go home then!.....they look for leadership traits, and leadership is not ordering the group around, BUT bringing in people to the conversation, and SHOWING that you value everyone's contribution YET putting your points across!

4) CASE STUDY - You will be given 40 mins to read through a lot of information about a BT's product and prepare a SWOT analysis. Then you need to present this SWOT analysis to an assessor, who will ask you questions based on it. This wasn't easy as there was so much information to read through. Time management is key here.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a scenario and ask you what things you consider when designing a network for that scenario.   View Answer