BT

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.1

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)
    Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)

I applied online – interviewed at BT.

The first step of the hiring process is the CV screening, where candidates are asked to fill in some situational / behavioral questions online about their past experiences, besides providing a presentation of themselves and their resume. Upon passing this step, candidates are sent an online test, which is the usual numerical test where you have to interpret graphs and tables. The only difficult part is the timeframe, as each question (which might not be straightforward at all) has to be answered in approx. one minutes. If they pass this step, candidates are invited to a phone interview, held by a Londinese external agency, that lasts approx. 30 minutes and is based on behavioral questions (e.g. "tell me a case where you showed your ability to overcome this and this obstacle"; "tell me a case of success where you worked in team to solve a problem" etc). The thing I didn't like is the impersonality of the interview: the interviewer speaks in an extremely "mechanical" way, without making any feeling emerge, as she was doing it for the thousandth time in a row and was not even paying attention to what you are saying. You don't have the chance to let emerge your true "nature" as you have to strictly answer her questions and after a minute that you're answering she interrupts you to ask the next question, with this "mechanical" voice and attitude that is pretty annoying.

Interview Questions
    • Each question is divided in some sub-questions, e.g. find an example of a situation where you showed this ability. And then: what you found hard; what you found relatively easy; what you could have done differently; what you learnt; what you…. etc.!   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

The hiring and interview process has been good . There were 3 rounds of technical interviews followed by management round . The HR has called very late in the evening which was surprising and not expected .

Interview Questions
    • How you do conflict management in the team ?   View Answer
    Yes I was able to negotiate to a good amount . Decline the offer in case you did not like the same .

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BT in June 2014.

Step 1:
    Online Tests. Simple and clear
    Step 2:
    Interview with the recruiter, very nice and general interests about my CV and what I can add to the company.
    Step 3: Technical Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • I was not prepared for the variety of questions covering multiple programming languages.   Answer Question

Solution Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BT in June 2014.

BT uses SOARA framework for interview process. Usually a panel of 1 HR rep and 1 technical. Prepare a situation that demonstrate a challenge you have faced and overcome. Be prepared to admit mistakes but have answers to how you would do things differently and prove learning. Not a drastically difficult interview but ensure you also have a backup SOARA and be prepared to elaborate on the finer points.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Be prepared to answer why you want the job and to say where you have gone wrong in the past in your SOARA - how you remedied it.   Answer Question
    Job grade can be reduced if you interview at what is considered a lower level than advertised, but you may still be employed at a lower grade.

Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at BT.

I went through external recruitment processes, which involved telphone interview followed by 1:1 in BT office. Process was well controlled and structured

Interview Questions
    • Challenged me on technical experience, which at the time was limited to due previous role in NHS.   Answer Question

Graduate Technology - Network Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BT.

Online application - online logical deductive and inductive test - skype interview (Competency based), technical phone interview, Asessment Center

Finance Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at BT.

Interview was mainly conversational. There were normal questions asked about previous work experience and skillset. Interviewer was detailed in explaining job, but lacked interest after a while. Interviewer was reluctant to comment about company culture, benefits, not sure why. The interview lasted for about forty minutes. Main question asked was if I was willing to put in long hours into the job.

Graduate - Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at BT in April 2014.

Whole process was a bit of a mess. First applied in December 2013 and I heard back that I had not been successful. A few months later I then heard from someone at Futureboard to say I actually had been successful and to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was fine and very informal basically just competency based questions. I then had the assessment center at the Ipswich office. The day in general was quite good. The analysis exercise was good practice for doing a SWOT analysis and the presentation was quite good as you could do it on a topic of your choice. The group exercise seemed pretty pointless as we decided our option quite quickly and therefore spent the rest of the time just discussing strengths and weaknesses. The main issue I had with the application process is that I never heard back from BT or Futureboard about whether I got the job or not. They had said that they would get back within a few days. I contacted Futureboard several times and they were unable to give me an answer. Obviously there was some breakdown in communication somewhere.

Management Graduate Programmer Interview

The first stage was the application process, followed by a numeracy and verbal test. Having been successful, I was invited for a telephone interview which consisted only in competency based questions e.g. example of working in a team, example where you showed leadership skills, example when solved a problem.
    Last stage was the assessment center which consisted in a group work, presentation, business case and interview.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BT in March 2014.

I applied this job through Futureboard, there will be one online test, skype interview and then assessment centre. The online test is normal logical test you can get from other companies. The skype interview involved some technical and competency questions.