BT

Relevance Date Difficulty

Fibre Optic Cable Layer Interview

Fibre Optic Cable Layer
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at BT in March 2011.

Interview Details – Psychometric Tests= Pathetic! these tests are only acceptable for call centre and sales staff not ground workers! total rubbish, was put though a series of stages and questions it was like I was applying for NASA? too much jibberish too much hard work the people who do the tests ect are ok its just the process

Interview Question – Can you remember a time when.....Explain a situation when.....Explain how diverse you are & why...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – was offered the job stayed for 3 years and now looking to leave

Cost Transformation Internship Interview

Cost Transformation Internship
London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BT in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied after a campus recruitment event and was asked to perform some online tests (analysing quantitative data). After that I had an interview with a lady from HR, was short and quite easy. Finally, was emailed a case study (on landline telecommunications retail) on which to deliver a presentation. I gave the presentation to the head of cost transformation, who asked me some additional questions (not related to the case). A few days later got a rejection email.

Interview Question – What are, in your opinion, the ways in which BT could still cut costs?   Answer Question

Senior Planning Manager Interview

Senior Planning Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BT in April 2010.

Interview Details – Typical tell me how you did it in the past and this will dictate how you do it in the future, called SOARA based interviews. Not usually hypothetical, or you can make it up. So it's based on demonstrating a capability I.e drive, customer focus, etc. lots of people can bluster there way through this interview if the interviewer is weak.

Interview Question – Explain what my 30, 60, 90 day plan is. And how do I fire people......really ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Programmer Interview

Graduate Programmer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BT.

Interview Details – Approached by a recruitment company, I was presenting my paper at a young members technology conference.
Had a chat over coffee, met a manager for an informal interview the next day, then was invited to an assessment centre the following week. Received a job offer the day after. (This was in November, the programme was starting the following September)

Interview Question – The role play exercise is challenging   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a graduate programme, so assumed salary was set and only golden hello was negotiable

Very Difficult Interview

Organizational Health Practitioner Interview

Organizational Health Practitioner
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BT in July 2013.

Interview Details – Through a consultant, who was very helpful. Communications were open and informative. I felt we briefed before the interview, knew names of interviews, key focus areas. Told this was a one stage process, helpful prep advice. The consultant approached me about the role, I hadn't gone looking.

Arrival at BT HQ was painless and staff were pleasant.

Interview was was a shocking experience. Bear in mind this is a role within HR/L&D for a £60k salary. The kinda place where you expect to see good practice modelled.

A minor point is that the interview panel was not as had been advised, one of the two was different.

Was told that this was part of a multi stage process, not as had been advised previously 'one stage'.

The line manager for the role was rather dismissive and sneering in her approach. Her HR colleague was fine.

No questions seemed to have been prepared, they both seemed to be winging it. The questions that the lead interviewer asked seemed to involve scanning my CV and then asking me about something I hadn't done. I'd prepared well, matching my experience with to role description preparing knowledge and experiences that related to the key role requirements etc. Sadly none of it paid off. They seemed to be interviewing for a completely different job. Clearly we weren't a match made in heaven. The lead interviewer had a knack of focusing in on what I hadn't done or didn't know and little interest in anything else. It was as if she was out to 'take me down a peg or two.'

I am a reasonably confident person with good experience and knowledge. I've just secured a job with a global world class brand at a higher level and in the same discipline to this role... so can't be utterly rubbish; this interview seemed as though they wanted to demonstrate that I was and that I was wasting their time. Bleurgh.

The recruiter has tried many times since to have a teleconference with the lead interviewer to get feedback. I understand that I wasn't the only candidate to report an unpleasant experience. Nothing.

I eventually got a form to claim expenses for the day. They had to be asked to provide that info. I sent my forms to the named contact. First they replied and asked me why I was making a claim on behalf of another candidate, copying him in. When I said I wasn't, I am a candidate in my own right, the reply came "you sent these to the wrong person, I am not dealing with that job. Ask your agency who to send them to"... "I did, they gave me forms with your name on".... "Ask them to find out, it's not me, I am not dealing with that job". You get the picture. I did get my expenses back. Not all of them. I couldn't claim for station car parking, it would have taken me over their limit!

Interview Question – This role has a large focus on Organisational Design to improve decision making, what do you know about that?   View Answer

Internal Consulting Team Interview

Internal Consulting Team
London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BT in January 2009.

Interview Details – First round with recruitment agent on campus at business school. Second round was a couple of interviews onsite in London with senior management in the internal consulting unit. There were both case interviews (fairly typical for consulting) and personal experience type questions. Several people were invited all at once from our business school and others so there was also an opportunity to mingle during the process. The offer was given within a few days.

Interview Question – You've previously been a consultant only - how would you deal with ongoing politics in an organisation like BT where you have to work with some fairly difficult people on an ongoing basis - you have no experience of that.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Preferred to take a consulting role in a consulting company vs an internal consulting role

Consultant Interview

Consultant
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BT in January 2009.

Interview Details – Be to the point with no hairy fairy blah blah bs.

Interview Question – what motivates you   View Answer

Negotiation Details – tough

Programme Manager Interview

Programme Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BT.

Interview Details – HR led capability interviews that are really annoying for people who want to talk about the job, whether you can do it and whether you want to do it.

Interview Question – Most of it unless you are luckily enough not to have a HR person in the room and can talk about the job and what is required   Answer Question

Strategy Specialist Interview

Strategy Specialist
London, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at BT.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward interview process - starting with a phone screen just understanding basic motivations, interest in the organisation, programme et al, followed by case, general interviews to assess analytical skills, problem solving skills, communication skills and general cultural fit

Interview Question – Top trends you're interested in tech/telecom, interest in London as a geography, biggest learnings from past experiences, key achievements from professional career   Answer Question

MBA Leadership Programmer Interview

MBA Leadership Programmer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BT in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application, was then called for a phone interview, where we discussed my CV and future aspirations. Then had a formal interview consisting of a "fit" interview with a recruiter, and a case (telco case, obviously) with one of the current associates in the leadership program. The case was not much different than what you would get at any other consulting interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions- but be prepared to discuss motivation for the program, why BT, and why telcom industry.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT interview questions and advice in London, UK. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by BT employees and interview candidates.