BT

Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.1

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

BT Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BT.

Applied online, 2 short "essays" (300 words each) - that was the hardest thing to do - if you can call it that way.
    1.motivation for the role
    2.passion in technology

after a few weeks they invited me to as skype interview with basic questions:
    why us
    what do you know about us
    about our products
    where do you see yourself in few years time
    give example of : teamwork, leadership, commitment

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions may vary from field to field, I was applying for a software developer position so I got a few questions which I answered pretty good but all questions are quite hard.   Answer Question

BT Graduate Scheme (Software Engineering) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BT in November 2014.

I was not given any kind of tests to do that I recall (but they may be lost in my mind amongst all the others). Once my application had been reviewed and they decided they wanted to interview me, they called me to arrange this and give me a brief summary of the structure of the interview.

The Skype interview is long and thorough. Very important to do your research on the company.

The recruiter I skyped with was very friendly and not too formal. I think they want you to build rapport with your interviewer too, mine offered opportunity for a little small talk before the start of the questions.

They asked numerous questions on:
    1) The companies products, services and values
    2) Reasons for applying to the company, the role, a role your area generally
    3) Your technical ability, competency and relevant experience

The feedback for answers was (approximately) as follows:
    1 - You should have done plenty of research and know about the company, it's various departments and what products and services they provide. You should be well aware of the companies values and how they resonate with you - I was asked this. Knowing about the areas in which BT do business, their main competitors, and how current technology trends affect the way they work is important.

2 - Again, you should have researched and understood exactly why you want to work for BT, and BT specifically. They want you to be passionate and clear about your reasons for applying there over other places. The same goes for why you applied to the specific role/programme, and why you want to pursue a career in that area.

3 - You will be asked a number of technical questions both about your field and about the areas in which BT does business (but oriented to where you applied). They want you to demonstrate good ability and understanding of your field, but also be honest about areas that you are weaker in (this seems strange, but it's what I was told in my feedback). You should also be able to provide a number of examples of personal experiences where you have displayed technical ability and general competency (teamwork, leadership, etc.).

If you succeed in the interview stage you will be shortlisted for the assessment centres. Succeeding at interview does not guarantee you a place at one. They review shortlisted candidates on the merits of their entire application process and select from there. I am yet to hear on their decision from this stage so cannot provide any details of the further process.

Interview Questions
    • Can you provide an example of a time when you used a new technology to further improve/shake up an existing system?

What do you think the most exciting current trend in technology is? How does/will this effect the way BT does business? (Asked as separate sequential questions, so bare that in mind when answering the former. I got caught out.)

Answer Question

BT Graduate Scheme - Business Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BT.

I had been impressed with the efficiency of the application process up until this point - BT were quick to get back to me after the results of my online tests and application form. I received a call from someone at Futureboard Consulting, who handle the graduate applications, to arrange a Skype interview.

I connected with the lady on Skype and she was very nice and friendly. However we had been speaking for 5 minutes when someone else called and there was confusion as to who was supposed to be interviewing me. She put me on mute and left me for a while as they sorted it out; meanwhile I was left with a blank screen and could hear other interviewers in the background. It completely disrupted the flow of the interview, and when she returned I could no longer see her face which meant it was much more difficult to build any kind of rapport. She had said she had to stick to a tight 30 min time slot as she was interviewing someone else immediately after, but then wasted 10-15 minutes trying to sort out their mistake. As a result, my interview was only 15 minutes long and I do not feel that I had a chance to sufficiently demonstrate my competencies and motivation. She asked a couple of simple questions and did not seem very interested in what I had to say. Furthermore, I asked her a relatively straightforward question about what BT graduates tend to do after finishing the programme and she did not know, as she works for Futureboard and not BT.

I am aware that perhaps I was just not right for the programme, but I think the manner in which the interview was handled was wholly unprofessional and that I was put at a severe disadvantage because the lady was in a rush to get on with the next interview and didn't give me a chance to express what I wanted to say. I am extremely disappointed and don't feel like my application was valued after all the effort I had put in.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly competency questions such as a time working in a team, working with a difficult person, why BT, why this scheme   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

The hiring and interview process has been good . There were 3 rounds of technical interviews followed by management round . The HR has called very late in the evening which was surprising and not expected .

Interview Questions
    • How you do conflict management in the team ?   View Answer
    Yes I was able to negotiate to a good amount . Decline the offer in case you did not like the same .

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BT in June 2014.

Step 1:
    Online Tests. Simple and clear
    Step 2:
    Interview with the recruiter, very nice and general interests about my CV and what I can add to the company.
    Step 3: Technical Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • I was not prepared for the variety of questions covering multiple programming languages.   Answer Question

Solution Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BT in June 2014.

BT uses SOARA framework for interview process. Usually a panel of 1 HR rep and 1 technical. Prepare a situation that demonstrate a challenge you have faced and overcome. Be prepared to admit mistakes but have answers to how you would do things differently and prove learning. Not a drastically difficult interview but ensure you also have a backup SOARA and be prepared to elaborate on the finer points.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Be prepared to answer why you want the job and to say where you have gone wrong in the past in your SOARA - how you remedied it.   Answer Question
    Job grade can be reduced if you interview at what is considered a lower level than advertised, but you may still be employed at a lower grade.

Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at BT.

I went through external recruitment processes, which involved telphone interview followed by 1:1 in BT office. Process was well controlled and structured

Interview Questions
    • Challenged me on technical experience, which at the time was limited to due previous role in NHS.   Answer Question

Graduate Technology - Network Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at BT.

Online application - online logical deductive and inductive test - skype interview (Competency based), technical phone interview, Asessment Center

Graduate - Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at BT in April 2014.

Whole process was a bit of a mess. First applied in December 2013 and I heard back that I had not been successful. A few months later I then heard from someone at Futureboard to say I actually had been successful and to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was fine and very informal basically just competency based questions. I then had the assessment center at the Ipswich office. The day in general was quite good. The analysis exercise was good practice for doing a SWOT analysis and the presentation was quite good as you could do it on a topic of your choice. The group exercise seemed pretty pointless as we decided our option quite quickly and therefore spent the rest of the time just discussing strengths and weaknesses. The main issue I had with the application process is that I never heard back from BT or Futureboard about whether I got the job or not. They had said that they would get back within a few days. I contacted Futureboard several times and they were unable to give me an answer. Obviously there was some breakdown in communication somewhere.

Management Graduate Programmer Interview

The first stage was the application process, followed by a numeracy and verbal test. Having been successful, I was invited for a telephone interview which consisted only in competency based questions e.g. example of working in a team, example where you showed leadership skills, example when solved a problem.
    Last stage was the assessment center which consisted in a group work, presentation, business case and interview.