BT

Relevance Date Difficulty

Network Engineer Interview

Network Engineer

Interviewed at BT

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process has been good . There were 3 rounds of technical interviews followed by management round . The HR has called very late in the evening which was surprising and not expected .

Interview Question – How you do conflict management in the team ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate to a good amount . Decline the offer in case you did not like the same .

Graduate Network Engineer Interview

Graduate Network Engineer
Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at BT in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1) PRESENTATION - you get the topic to present on a week before your ac, just make sure your presentation talks about BT, highlighting what they're competitors are doing and what BT is doing to beat them (This stage is meant to show how much you KNOW about BT!!).

2) TECHNICAL INTERVIEW - I found this stage quite less formal, its more like an hour long chat with your potential manager, but make SURE you brush up on your network terminologies like TCP, UDP, QoS etc. and also PREPARE questions to ask your interviewer (shows you're interested in the job), and even more IMPORTANT, do not mumble over a question you don't know the answer to, and always ask for the answer from the interviewer, don't just let him/her move on to the next question!

3) GROUP CHAT - I really enjoyed this stage the most! the advice I can give is that you should try to make as many friends as possible during the day. And also during the group chat assessment, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT argue! once you argue, then that's it, you might as well pack your bags and go home then!.....they look for leadership traits, and leadership is not ordering the group around, BUT bringing in people to the conversation, and SHOWING that you value everyone's contribution YET putting your points across!

4) CASE STUDY - You will be given 40 mins to read through a lot of information about a BT's product and prepare a SWOT analysis. Then you need to present this SWOT analysis to an assessor, who will ask you questions based on it. This wasn't easy as there was so much information to read through. Time management is key here.

Interview Question – They give you a scenario and ask you what things you consider when designing a network for that scenario.   View Answer

Fibre Optic Cable Layer Interview

Fibre Optic Cable Layer
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at BT in March 2011.

Interview Details – Psychometric Tests= Pathetic! these tests are only acceptable for call centre and sales staff not ground workers! total rubbish, was put though a series of stages and questions it was like I was applying for NASA? too much jibberish too much hard work the people who do the tests ect are ok its just the process

Interview Question – Can you remember a time when.....Explain a situation when.....Explain how diverse you are & why...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – was offered the job stayed for 3 years and now looking to leave

Cost Transformation Internship Interview

Cost Transformation Internship
London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BT in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied after a campus recruitment event and was asked to perform some online tests (analysing quantitative data). After that I had an interview with a lady from HR, was short and quite easy. Finally, was emailed a case study (on landline telecommunications retail) on which to deliver a presentation. I gave the presentation to the head of cost transformation, who asked me some additional questions (not related to the case). A few days later got a rejection email.

Interview Question – What are, in your opinion, the ways in which BT could still cut costs?   Answer Question

Project Leader Interview

Project Leader
Leeds, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at BT.

Interview Details – I went through external recruitment processes, which involved telphone interview followed by 1:1 in BT office. Process was well controlled and structured

Interview Question – Challenged me on technical experience, which at the time was limited to due previous role in NHS.   Answer Question

Graduate Technology - Network Role Interview

Graduate Technology - Network Role
Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at BT.

Interview Details – Online application - online logical deductive and inductive test - skype interview (Competency based), technical phone interview, Asessment Center

Interview Question – Did not expect a case study at the Assessment centre   Answer Question

Management Graduate Programmer Interview

Management Graduate Programmer

Interviewed at BT

Interview Details – The first stage was the application process, followed by a numeracy and verbal test. Having been successful, I was invited for a telephone interview which consisted only in competency based questions e.g. example of working in a team, example where you showed leadership skills, example when solved a problem.
Last stage was the assessment center which consisted in a group work, presentation, business case and interview.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BT in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied this job through Futureboard, there will be one online test, skype interview and then assessment centre. The online test is normal logical test you can get from other companies. The skype interview involved some technical and competency questions.

Interview Question – Who is the main competitor to BT?   Answer Question

Technology Graduate IT & Systems Security Interview

Technology Graduate IT & Systems Security
Ipswich, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at BT in February 2014.

Interview Details – The process started with completing my application in September 2013. From there, I had a telephone comfirmation with Future Board in November, Technical Skype interview with Future Board in December, and finally, Assessment Centre at BT Ipswich in February 2014.

The process is long, however, you have to keep in mind the amount of applications that are processed, therefore, the time scale is expected.

1. At the first stage you can expect the standard filling out application.
2. Online Test
3. Telephone confirmation is just to confirm everything and set a date for Skype interview.
4. Skype interview as 3 parts and asks questions such as...
     - What are your interests in BT, Technology, and where you see yourself in 5 years.
     - Competency based questions like... Tell me a time when...?
     - Technical questions are things like... Describe the 7 layer ISO Model? What is your knowledge of Honeypots, Firewalls, difference between Routers and Switches etc...
5. The Assessment Centre is divided into 4 stages.
    - Team Assignment where you will each be given a potential project that BT are looking to work on. You will have 10 minutes to analyse this project and 40 minutes to discuss the pro's and con's of each project with your team. The team must come to an agreement on which project they want to go with.
    - Report Assignment is an individual task where you will be given a 6 / 8 page report of a current project. Your task will be to analyse this report and brake it down in terms of a SWOT analysis and present your findings to a BT manager. You will have 10 minutes to present and 5 minutes Q & A.
    - Interview with line manager
    - Presentation - BT send you a topic that you need to research. I was given the task to look at Technology Trends and apply them to how they can best benefit BT. You'll receive this a few days before the Assessment Centre day. Your task is to put a 10 minute presentation together and present it to a line manager, and prepare for 10 minute Q & A.

This all sounds daunting, but from my experience, it is a fun and interesting day. The tasks can be challenging, but I like that!

Tip: At the team discussion, with deciding what project to choose - If you don't believe your project is the strongest, don't disgard it to quickly, discuss it with the team and allow it to have it's fair share of consideration. The idea that I was given was the weakest out of all the other ideas in the team, I relised this straight away. Instead of allowing the team to discuss it and come to the conclusion that I already had, I suggested that we just left it alone. In my feedback, this came across as weak. I thought is was intelligence and time saving so we could focus on the more attractive projects, but I was wrong. This is about showing your thought process and not just about being right, I guess (I live and learn).

The feedback you get is brilliant! Future Board and BT try to give you real and honest feedback, whether they take you on or not.

I found out about the outcome of the Assessment Centre just two days later.

I do recommend this process, regardless if you get the job, the experience is great and valuable.

Interview Question – Honestly, everything was standard and nothing was asked to trip you up. BT seemed genuinely interested in getting to know you and how you compare to what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Senior Planning Manager Interview

Senior Planning Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BT in April 2010.

Interview Details – Typical tell me how you did it in the past and this will dictate how you do it in the future, called SOARA based interviews. Not usually hypothetical, or you can make it up. So it's based on demonstrating a capability I.e drive, customer focus, etc. lots of people can bluster there way through this interview if the interviewer is weak.

Interview Question – Explain what my 30, 60, 90 day plan is. And how do I fire people......really ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!