BTS (Connecticut)

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at BTS (Connecticut).

Interview Details – Went through an HR interview, several interviews with their senior consultants/principals, ended with a final round that included a presentation. The initial interviews were all on the phone or through skype. The presentation had a challenging Q&A session but was ultimately focused on your executive presence. Everyone at the firm spoke highly of the company culture.

Interview Question – What are the benefits/disadvantages of financing using preferred stock vs. debt?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BTS (Connecticut) in September 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR recruiter in response to my resume being posted in an organizational database. Invited to apply online to consultant opportunity for MBA graduates. Initial screening interview via Skype with HR followed approx. 2 weeks later. Conversational, general fit questions. Second interview also via Skype with current consultant, questions more strategy-consulting specific. Third interview also via Skype with another consultant (last minute change in interviewers), questions more business acumen related and sales-focused.

As an MBA candidate with management consulting experience, I was surprised by some of the questions, little focus on my past experiences consulting and in my MBA program, more focused on business strategy questions, specifically focused on marketing ROI and sales.

Overall, by my third interview, I could tell I was not a good fit for this organization as the consultants act as sales managers, more so than traditional management consultants as I was hoping for my own career. (One of the interviewers mentioned they each have revenue targets to hit quarterly/annually, focus on up-selling to clients, etc.) While all consulting involves client relationship management and a certain level of "selling," the BTS consultant role reminded me much more of friends I have who work as sales managers and executives than my own experience in management consulting.

Interview Question – Walk me through an example of a company and how they make money.

Give me and example of any company and some market index factors of success.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BTS (Connecticut) in October 2012.

Interview Details – Met a partner and 2 senior consultants at a conference. They were all terrific, friendly, and passionate about their business. I was instantly hooked - mostly for the energy, authenticity and enthusiasm they showed in their work. I was extended an invitation to the final round interviews - an intense 2 day showdown that included a 6 hour simulation done in teams of applicants (undergrad and grad); schmoozing sessions, unexpected, on the spot public speaking requirements, and finally a filmed presentation to a panel of current BTS consultants and partners. Lots of interaction with employees from all levels of the firm. Great hotel & food. Intense, for sure, but that matches their culture which is highly motivated, intense and collaborative. Fun people, but definitely hungry - very entrepreneurial.

Interview Question – We were required to do a presentation on the full business implications of the decisions we had made during the 6 hour simulation; I stumbled a bit on the difference between operating income and net income... mostly because I was so exhausted from the day long simulation, followed by a long night of partying with partners and consultants at the firm; that at 7:30AM my mind was working at a groggy pace.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – It was an incredibly difficult decision, but ultimately, I was looking for a bit more flexibility in terms of geographic relocation (in the future) and project work. As well as a slightly more predictable schedule. The emphasis on sales was ok; but not a great sell for me.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BTS (Connecticut) in January 2012.

Interview Details – I talked with a Corporate Recruiter via skype and it was the normal HR type questions. Was invited in for a case interview from an old Darden Oracle case. I was given two hours to prepare a deck outlining the problems and then present them in front of about 6 people. Have a deck ready to input because two hours is not a lot (this is perfectly ok). Concentrate on ratio analysis (profitability, liquidity, leverage) and the financial statements. I felt like I cracked the case but could have been a little more prepared in the inner workings of my statement analysis. After about an hour presentation we had lunch and then had three separate two on one interviews. Long day. I liked the firm but probably wasn't a mutual fit.

Interview Question – What is the more important measure ROA or ROE? What are the downfalls of using only one?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BTS (Connecticut) in August 2011.

Interview Details – The initial interview was with the corporate recruiter. It went very well just asked me basic questions about my resume, career goals, etc. At the end of the interview she explained that she would recommend me to the case presentation phase of the interview. The case study interview was given to me three days in advance of when I was to give my presentation. I gave the presentation in front of about 8 employees and they all asked me questions about my findings. After that I had interviews with different team members that covered pretty basic fit questions. I wish my case presentation would have included more financial analysis, especially free cash flow.

Interview Question – Revenue-Expenses/Assets... What is this equation?   View Answers (2)

Business Analyst - Consulting Interview

Business Analyst - Consulting
Madrid (Spain)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BTS (Connecticut) in November 2013.

Interview Details – I did 5 interviews plus 1 on-line test.
The on-line test wasn't so hard (at least for my level, I know that MBAs expected scores are higher).
The 1st interview is a phone call with standard consulting questions including some business ones.
The 2nd 1:1 interview with a senior Manager goes a little bit more deeper in the previous concepts, but nothing unexpected if your are prepared.
For the 3rd interview, I had to prepare a Powerpoint presentation with a SWOT analysis and some key financial metrics for a company chosen by myself. This was the hardest one, you need to fully understand whatever you will use or say during this phase, normally they give 1week to prepare.
The 4th and 5th interviews, with a partner and a senior Manager respectively, were mainly behavioural interviews to check your fit in the office (where they have a very good working environment indeed).

I was surprised and confused after the 4th interview with the Partner, I thought it was the last one. However, they felt it and called me to explain that the 5th interview was to make sure I was a good fit in terms of behaviour since they really want to preserve the good working environment. I really appreciated that call.

Interview Question – Presentation skills are critical for this company, be really prepared with your presentation during the 3rd phase.
For the other questions, always think out loud so they can follow your reasoning.
  Answer Question

Business Analyst

The process took 3 days - interviewed at BTS (Connecticut) in November 2011.

Interview Details – Great people and work culture. You can really see one of their core values of "having fun" shine through their employees. The first round interview was your typical get to know the candidates. The second round interview consisted of a team-based competition case interview. The case interview is difficult but it is engaging, fun and gives you a good look at what it will be like to work there. Finally, there is an individual presentation about the financials of a self-chosen company.

Interview Question – How does managements current strategy effect (specific company's) profit margins/ROE/ROA?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
London, England (UK)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at BTS (Connecticut) in October 2010.

Interview Details – Terrible experience! I went through all th stages. The process lasted months. The most incredible thing was that at the 4th stage, I delivered a presentation which was highly rated by the company, and by the Managind Director in person. After then, I was told that I passed and the only step I had to do was a chat with the Head Office. When I arrived for the interview, this person did not know who I was and I was there. He did not know what to ask me. After 5 minutes the conversatio ended and 7 days later, at midnight, I received an email saying that my presentation - 4th stage - was not good enough and that my application was rejected. Stay away from this company!!

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at BTS (Connecticut)

Worked for BTS (Connecticut)? Contribute to the Community!