Backbase Interview Questions

Updated May 29, 2015

3.2

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in May 2015.

Interview

Via LinkedIn gereageerd, follow up van Backbase was binnen enkele dagen met een uitnodiging voor een gesprek met de Recruitment/HR manager. Daarna met enkele teamleden. Prettige, open sfeer en eerlijke voorstelling van zaken. Ongeveer een week later 2e ronde met een case en terugkoppeling van de PPA persoonlijkheidsvragenlijst. Backbase was zo professioneel om door een niet vlekkeloze uitvoering van de case en PPA heen te kijken en door te gaan vanuit de wil om tot een overeenkomst te komen!

Interview Questions

• Wordt Backbase er beter van door jou in dienst te nemen?   Answer Question

R&D Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied throw a Job board. I was replied by the company HR personal
    Skype Interview was schedule several times. but never took place
    I realized they are not serious and drop my application

Interview Questions

• When can we schedule a skype interview   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in April 2015.

Interview

The first meeting via Skype was a miss on their side but the rest of the process was fast, friendly, open and fair. The final assessment was challenging, not a test but a real life business case with role playing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Everything except the initial 7 months contract seemed negotiable.

ICT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in April 2015.

Interview

Na via LinkedIn te hebben gereageerd werd er meteen contact met mij opgezocht voor een verkennend gesprek. Het was een fijn relaxed ground floor gesprek. De klik zat er meteen in en de uitdaging sprak mij erg aan gezien resource building mijn specialiteit is. Na de 2e gesprek kreeg ik te horen dat BB mij een aanbod wou doen en zo ben ik nu aan boord.

Interview Questions

• Vragen die ik kreeg gingen over mijn persoonlijkheid, functiewerkzaamheden, manier van werken enzv.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)).

Interview

I applied online and got an email. Went through 3 Skype interviews and was told that I got the job. I was even sent a copy of the contract.

After waiting a week or two, I was told that they had to add a few more steps to my screening process. I went on another Skype interview and test which I was not able to complete. This was after I was already told I got the job. Since I didn't finish the test, this caused my offer to be revoked.

Generally it was a good experience. The people I spoke with seemed fun and seemed to know and love what they're doing. I just wish I wasn't told that I got the job only to have it be taken away from me. I was already excited about joining the team and I was already making plans as to how to go about the process.

I have to say it was an emotional process for me since when I was told that they were happy to offer me the job, I believed it. I even had a friend check the email they sent me just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating. Even my friend thought they offered me the job crystal clear. Only to find out later on that they had doubts. I totally understand them not being sure, but I just wish they didn't tell me that they were offering me the job if they still weren't sure about it. It was like getting a marriage proposal, and having your fiancé take back the engagement ring.

The thing with offering jobs to people, it makes the person trust it and start making plans.

Java Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in March 2015.

Interview

Recently I tried to apply for the Java Solutions Architect position at Backbase :

The first interview was held by HR guy within 15-20 minutes with common psychological and characteristic screening questions. He did a good job and in a day advised that 2 further interviews will take place with their java team lead and senior architect guys separately one after one, 1 hour each. Alright.

Those 2 guys were rather punctual as the technical interviews commenced without any delay. That's the only positive feedback for them. Each of them neither had a list of java technical questions nor architectural ones. The only technical question I could remember from the java team lead is presented below. As for the architect guy, that were the same common boiler-plate questions ( see below ). Neither code nor architecture design questions were raised.

In a day I received the following Backbase resolution from those guys.

1. HR guy passed the following from the technical guys :

"quite outdated knowledge, narrow experience, mostly old school way of working, not so much into agile and craftsmanship practices.

2. The senior architect provided the following feedback to me :

"
    first of all, appreciate your time talking with us. In addition, I can say, that I am most certain, that your are brilliant engineer, however, we are trying to fill in the positions that we currently have and we have certain expectation/requirement, one of them is also "fit into Backbase" culture. Unfortunately, we did not found you fitting our skills and culture requirements, which has nothing to do with you personally.
    "

Now, here is my conclusion how technical java interviews are organized at Backbase :

1. That's the total waste of time for any serious developer having several companies to choose from in his further career path.

2. Technical interviewers have no knowledge how to achieve java background validation and system design skills assessment.

3. That was the strangest interview I ever had for 14 years of my developer career because the frustration comes from absence of an idea what went wrong.

Interview Questions

• That was a question from Backbase Java team lead : How would you design persistent layer ?   1 Answer
    • That was questions from Backbase Banking architect : 1. How would you describe Scrum ?
      2. What source code management system do you use ? 3. What experience do you have with enterprise service bus ? 4. Do you have experience with Big Data ?

1 Answer

Manager R&D Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Backbase in December 2014.

Interview

Horrendous process, Interviewers did not know why I was there or what job i had applied for. My decision not to proceed was made in first 5 minuets.

Disorganised, Management not admitting to problems they clearly had like high turnover etc.

Walked away

Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in December 2014.

Interview

A very open and engaging interview process. The folks at Backbase were sharp and well prepared for the many discussions that took place. I was able to speak with people from multiple disciplines. This certainly helped to form an accurate opinion of the organization. During the final day long session, I was able to see various teams in action and freely walk around to observe and talk to anyone I needed to. Not only did the Backbase crew want to get to know me, that wanted to make sure that I was able to see them as they are. One of the best interview processes that I have ever been involved with!

Interview Questions

• Which of your strengths do you think will be most interesting & valuable to Backbase? And why?   Answer Question

Front-end ontwikkelaar Interview

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Backbase (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in October 2014.

Interview

Ik werd gecontacteerd via e-mail en na een paar weken had ik het HR gesprek wat heel goed ging en toen kreeg ik wat huiswerk om te doen; de opdracht was niet zo moeilijk en het kostte me ongeveer 10 uur werk: Ik moest een widget ingesloten via iframe in een grotere applicatie ontwikkelen.

Ik besloot om met AngularJS te werken wat het raamwerk is waar ik het meest vertrouwd mee ben en wetende dat het bedrijf dit grotendeels gebruikt; Ik heb het allemaal werkend gekregen voor de zaken die mij gevraag waren te ontwikkelen en verstuurde de code met unit testen, documentatie en uitleg over de genomen technische beslissing.

Helaas werd de opdracht was om verschillende redenen afgewezen, een aantal twijfelachtige (zoals het gebruik van $ http in plaats van $ resource of het splitsen van de code in twee bestanden in plaats van één) en gemakkelijk op te lossen met een snelle refactor, maar de redenen die me het meest teleurstelden was dat ik iets wat nooit in de opdracht werd genoemd, niet geïmplementeerd had.

Ik reageerde snel met het uitleggen van mijn technische keuzes en motivatie, maar ik weet nog steeds niet wat mijn aanbod van tafel veegde omdat ik geen antwoord kreeg, ondanks de aanvankelijke vriendelijkheid van de vrouw van HR.

Ik bewerkte zelfs de opdracht met behulp van het advies dat ik van hen kreeg en stuurde het opnieuw, waaruit blijkt dat ik kan werken op de manier dat het bedrijf wil, maar heb nog steeds niets gehoord, zelfs geen Skype-bericht.

Het bedrijf lijkt zo aardig en heeft een goede reputatie, maar ik voel me erg teleurgesteld door hun manier van rekruteren.

I got contacted via email and after a couple of weeks I did the HR interdictive interview which went quite well and then I received some homework to do; the assignment was not that difficult and it took me about 10 hours of work: I had to develop a widget embedded via iframe in a larger application.

I decided to work with AngularJS which is the framework I am most familiar with and knowing that the company has been largely using it; I got it all working for the issues I have been asked to develop and shipped the code with unit test, documentation and explanations on technical decision taken.

Unfortunately the assignment was rejected for various reasons, some questionable (like using $http instead of $resource or splitting the code in two files instead of one) and easily fixable with a quick refactor, but the reasons that let me down the most was that I hadn't implement an issue that was never been mentioned in the assignment.

I quickly replied explaining all my technical choices and motivation, but I still don't know what exactly put my offer off the table because I got no answer, despite the initial kindness of the HR lady.
    I even reworked the assignment using the advice I got from them and send them again, showing that I can work the way the company wants, but still no sign from them, not even a Skype message.

The company seems so nice and has a good reputation, but I feel very disappointed by their recruitment behaviour.

Interview Questions

• Daadwerkelijk verantwoordelijk worden gehouden voor iets wat mij niet gevraagd is te doen.   Actually been accounted for something I haven't been asked to do   2 Answers

Backbase Response

Jan 20, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We try to work every day on improving our selection process. Your thoughts will definitely help us in creating better recruitment procedures. Right now we are ... More

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Backbase in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by the recruiter. The email questioned if it was time to change job, it got my interest and replied. The interviews (3) were very nice and (since long time) challenging.

The first interview was by phone with the recruiter. I made clear what I expected and vice versa and this was respected during the process.

The next interview was with the lead architect and it was the first interview since years I was challenged. I enjoyed it and heard via the recruiter the lead architect had the same positive impression.

Last interview was with my future manager and we talked for more than an hour. It clicked.

The offer (in the end) was good, but not clear to me how the bonus scheme worked out. It was quickly resolved the next day and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• It was a difficult interview because you are not prepared to dive into a specific subject; it just came up during the interview (SSO, integration architecture & security). I was able to answer his questions, but the change of contexts got me sometimes by surprise.   Answer Question