Backbase Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.3

Java Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Backbase in March 2015.

Recently I tried to apply for the Java Solutions Architect position at Backbase :

The first interview was held by HR guy within 15-20 minutes with common psychological and characteristic screening questions. He did a good job and in a day advised that 2 further interviews will take place with their java team lead and senior architect guys separately one after one, 1 hour each. Alright.

Those 2 guys were rather punctual as the technical interviews commenced without any delay. That's the only positive feedback for them. Each of them neither had a list of java technical questions nor architectural ones. The only technical question I could remember from the java team lead is presented below. As for the architect guy, that were the same common boiler-plate questions ( see below ). Neither code nor architecture design questions were raised.

In a day I received the following Backbase resolution from those guys.

1. HR guy passed the following from the technical guys :

"quite outdated knowledge, narrow experience, mostly old school way of working, not so much into agile and craftsmanship practices.

2. The senior architect provided the following feedback to me :

"
    first of all, appreciate your time talking with us. In addition, I can say, that I am most certain, that your are brilliant engineer, however, we are trying to fill in the positions that we currently have and we have certain expectation/requirement, one of them is also "fit into Backbase" culture. Unfortunately, we did not found you fitting our skills and culture requirements, which has nothing to do with you personally.
    "

Now, here is my conclusion how technical java interviews are organized at Backbase :

1. That's the total waste of time for any serious developer having several companies to choose from in his further career path.

2. Technical interviewers have no knowledge how to achieve java background validation and system design skills assessment.

3. That was the strangest interview I ever had for 14 years of my developer career because the frustration comes from absence of an idea what went wrong.

Interview Questions
    • That was a question from Backbase Java team lead : How would you design persistent layer ?   View Answer
    • That was questions from Backbase Banking architect : 1. How would you describe Scrum ?
      2. What source code management system do you use ? 3. What experience do you have with enterprise service bus ? 4. Do you have experience with Big Data ?

View Answer

Manager R&D Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Backbase in December 2014.

Horrendous process, Interviewers did not know why I was there or what job i had applied for. My decision not to proceed was made in first 5 minuets.

Disorganised, Management not admitting to problems they clearly had like high turnover etc.

Walked away

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Backbase in October 2014.

I got contacted via email and after a couple of weeks I did the HR interdictive interview which went quite well and then I received some homework to do; the assignment was not that difficult and it took me about 10 hours of work: I had to develop a widget embedded via iframe in a larger application.

I decided to work with AngularJS which is the framework I am most familiar with and knowing that the company has been largely using it; I got it all working for the issues I have been asked to develop and shipped the code with unit test, documentation and explanations on technical decision taken.

Unfortunately the assignment was rejected for various reasons, some questionable (like using $http instead of $resource or splitting the code in two files instead of one) and easily fixable with a quick refactor, but the reasons that let me down the most was that I hadn't implement an issue that was never been mentioned in the assignment.

I quickly replied explaining all my technical choices and motivation, but I still don't know what exactly put my offer off the table because I got no answer, despite the initial kindness of the HR lady.
    I even reworked the assignment using the advice I got from them and send them again, showing that I can work the way the company wants, but still no sign from them, not even a Skype message.

The company seems so nice and has a good reputation, but I feel very disappointed by their recruitment behaviour.

Interview Questions
    • Actually been accounted for something I haven't been asked to do   View Answers (2)

Backbase Response

Jan 20, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We try to work every day on improving our selection process. Your thoughts will definitely help us in creating better recruitment procedures. Right now we are ... More

Solutions Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Backbase in October 2014.

I was contacted via LinkedIn by the recruiter. The email questioned if it was time to change job, it got my interest and replied. The interviews (3) were very nice and (since long time) challenging.

The first interview was by phone with the recruiter. I made clear what I expected and vice versa and this was respected during the process.

The next interview was with the lead architect and it was the first interview since years I was challenged. I enjoyed it and heard via the recruiter the lead architect had the same positive impression.

Last interview was with my future manager and we talked for more than an hour. It clicked.

The offer (in the end) was good, but not clear to me how the bonus scheme worked out. It was quickly resolved the next day and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • It was a difficult interview because you are not prepared to dive into a specific subject; it just came up during the interview (SSO, integration architecture & security). I was able to answer his questions, but the change of contexts got me sometimes by surprise.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Backbase.

I got contact with Backbase through a recommendation of a friend of a friend who’s working there. I had two interviews—a HR interview and a technical one—on Skype, and a homework—that roughly took my 20–24 hours to solve—before being invited to Amsterdam for additional on-site interviews. The company paid for my travel & hotel. At Backbase HQ I had another technical interview and a high-level interview with a VP. They made me a formal offer in two working days, after that. I’m left with a good overall impression, although I decided not to pursue the opportunity, at least for the moment. Big plus for the multi-national team.

Interview Questions
    • I didn’t feel there was a certain question that stood out from the rest. All in all, I felt confident and on-topic throughout the interviewing process.   Answer Question

The decision is rather personal.

Senior Mobile Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Backbase in May 2014.

The interview process is swift. It had two steps. The first interview was personality test, and the second technical. The atmosphere is cordial. Do expect a thorough evaluation of the skill set you are applying for. The candidates are knowledgeable and give good feedback. The HR is very prompt in responding to your queries.

Senior Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

interviewed at Backbase in May 2014.

I read the JD from LinkedIn, and applied. After a few days, the HR connected me, and scheduled a skype interview. During the interview, he asked me about the motivation for applying and relocating, and some questions about my former experience. After that, I did a list of Java questions he provided and sent back.
    More than two weeks later, the HR told me that they've decided to keep the native android developers on hold, because they decided to change to "titanium" platform instead of native Android.
    The recruiter is nice and humorous.

Interview Questions
    • Basic Java questions listed in a PDF file. Not to hard, but a wide knowledge scope is needed.   View Answer

Great Company, Worth Working For! Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Backbase.

International english-speaking company, pleasant and quick to respond people, interesting test course. High, but adequate requirements. Try your best! :)

Techincal interview

Solution Architect & Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Backbase in April 2014.

I got landed in interview by one of my friends referal who is working in Backbase and it had very good impact to be recommended by an insider. My contact person (HR agent resident in backbase) was really good at followup, knowledgable about business and technical, friendly and supportive and also to my surprise very passionate about company (not like most recruiters in a fake way). I had several interviews and most interesting thing was how flexible team and company was to help me find the best path and even change it in future.

Interview Questions
    • Internals of spring security which is one of their mostly used pieces of software in integration projects.   Answer Question

They offered my 6 month contract of course with high chance to extend. However I already had permanent (indefinite) contract offers with better financial terms.

IT Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Backbase in January 2014.

Very pleasant interview process, well arranged. First had an interview with the Hiring Manager, after that an interview with peer recruiter and to finalize a meeting / interview with hiring managers of the R&D / Expert services team. I specifically asked for a short talk with Jouk Pleiter (CEO) and they made that happen.

Also had to present a case regarding tech recruitment / sourcing + there was a personality test involved.

They take recruiting and hiring seriously.