Backcountry.com

Updated Dec 30, 2014
Updated Dec 30, 2014

2.9

Manager - Park City Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Backcountry.com.

The hiring process was slow. HR was not responsive to emails or phone calls. A couple of times phone calls were setup and no one called me or emailed me. I had to reach back out to them.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty generic. Did not get into the detail that I anticipated.   View Answer

Lack of professional environment.

Marketing Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Backcountry.com.

The first interview went extremely well as the interviewer was nice and professional. The second interview with the actual hiring manager started out well, but as time went on the interviewer stopped taking notes which affected me later.
    I got a call later that I didn't get the position based on an answer to an interview question that was answered poorly when compared to the person who got the job. I asked the interviewer how did it get answered by the other person who got hired. The interview explained to me what he said, the funny thing is, I said almost the exact same thing the person who got hired said.
    This to me was unprofessional as the interviewer tried to lie to me about what I did and did not say.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult just more on the interviewers end of recording notes that are extremely important to a person's future at the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I went to their company. The interview process was straightforward. The manager asked me so many techincal problems. Many of them are realted to databases and data structure. Their working evironment is good. Because I am not fully prepared, i didn't got the chance to work at there.

Interview Questions
    • what is the biggest chanllege you met in your last job?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Backcountry.com in June 2014.

I applied online in March of 2014, and after a short screen with the recruiter, I was given a "planning test" via excel and then I was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager. I then didn't hear anything for a couple of months, but received an email that there were some changes going on and to sit tight. Around 3 months after my initial application, I was contacted to fly out for a day of interviews. It was then that I found out there had been a recent round of layoffs and the hiring manager I originally spoke with was no longer at the company. The interviews were 1/2 a day and I met with about 9 different people. Everyone was extremely friendly and I was able to ask a lot of questions to get a feel for the company and culture.

Interview Questions
    • What is your sport of choice? Not really unexpected or difficult, but they want to make sure you are a good fit culturally.   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you disagreed with your manager. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Technology Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Backcountry.com in April 2014.

Contacted proactively by Recruiter. I think they just scroll through LinkedIn. Description of roll sent was different then posting and online testing that occurred during screening process.

Interview Questions
    • This company seems lost on agile and true development process, and exactly what they are solving for.   View Answer

Email Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Backcountry.com.

It was pretty good. The job description wasn't quite as advertised.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Backcountry.com in February 2014.

My application process began in October of 2013 when I gave my resume to a friend who works there. Soon after I applied to a few positions through their website. It wasn't until February of 2014 that I heard from them and that was only after a lot of prodding on my part. My first phone interview was with the recruiter, and it was kind of a personality/fit survey. My next phone interview was with an engineer, and it was more technical in nature with some tests. I made it through and was invited to their Park City HQ for an all day interview session. I had four one hour interviews with engineers and an informal lunch interview with the same recruiter as before. All of the engineers spent part of the time asking me personality/experience questions and the other part administering programming tests. Even though I was on site, all of the engineering interviews were over Google Hangouts with off-site engineers.

After all of that I was not offered a position. The primary reason given was that I was not able to complete one of the tests an interviewer gave me before my time with her was up and that I got some questions wrong. The thing is, we talked for almost the entire time, and I was only given 5-10 minutes to complete a pretty complicated multi part HTML/CSS test. After seeing the size of the test and instructions I admit I panicked a little bit. I had to read the instructions multiple times to understand what it was asking, and by the time I was even starting we were out of time. The interviewer said not to worry about it, and that I could finish it at home. Working on it at home, I probably spent a couple hours on it and got it to her that same night. I don't think even the most expert HTML/CSS guy could have finished it in the initial time allotted. So to have my failure to complete the test in the time allotted cited as a reason I was not hired was pretty frustrating, especially when the interviewer told me I could finish at home.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple HTML/CSS tests. Be able to answer very technical questions about HTML/CSS minutia as well as code HTML/CSS & JavaScript on the spot. Multiple JavaScript DOM manipulation & algorithmic tests.   Answer Question

Junior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Backcountry.com.

I had a quick phone interview, which was followed by an office interview. My interview lasted almost 5 hrs. Rather than have one large group interview they break it up and do a series of individual interviews. I would recommend getting ready for a long day, but with really great people.

Interview Questions
    • My position was more technology based. So the technology questions were a bit intimidating. For the most part really great inverview.   Answer Question
    It lasted a couple of weeks, but was fine.

Accounting Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Backcountry.com in January 2014.

The interview process was straightforward with two people doing the interview. I was asked specific questions about invoicing processes and questions from my work experience. None of the questions were very difficult but the second half of the interview was behavioral questions. It is wise to answer these questions in the STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected but do your research of their products and know why you want to work there.   Answer Question

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Backcountry.com.

Interview process can be lengthy. Be patient, active, but not pushy. Do a little homework and get to know the voice backcountry uses across its sites before you do a writing test. Know your stuff and don't try to BS. You don' thave to be an expert on everything, but be ready to show off the areas where you really know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • This really depends on your background and writing style. Show your writing range.   Answer Question