Backcountry.com Interview Questions in Park City, UT

3.2

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Backcountry.com in June 2014.

I applied online in March of 2014, and after a short screen with the recruiter, I was given a "planning test" via excel and then I was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager. I then didn't hear anything for a couple of months, but received an email that there were some changes going on and to sit tight. Around 3 months after my initial application, I was contacted to fly out for a day of interviews. It was then that I found out there had been a recent round of layoffs and the hiring manager I originally spoke with was no longer at the company. The interviews were 1/2 a day and I met with about 9 different people. Everyone was extremely friendly and I was able to ask a lot of questions to get a feel for the company and culture.

Interview Questions
    • What is your sport of choice? Not really unexpected or difficult, but they want to make sure you are a good fit culturally.   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you disagreed with your manager. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Technology Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Backcountry.com in April 2014.

Contacted proactively by Recruiter. I think they just scroll through LinkedIn. Description of roll sent was different then posting and online testing that occurred during screening process.

Interview Questions
    • This company seems lost on agile and true development process, and exactly what they are solving for.   View Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Backcountry.com in February 2014.

My application process began in October of 2013 when I gave my resume to a friend who works there. Soon after I applied to a few positions through their website. It wasn't until February of 2014 that I heard from them and that was only after a lot of prodding on my part. My first phone interview was with the recruiter, and it was kind of a personality/fit survey. My next phone interview was with an engineer, and it was more technical in nature with some tests. I made it through and was invited to their Park City HQ for an all day interview session. I had four one hour interviews with engineers and an informal lunch interview with the same recruiter as before. All of the engineers spent part of the time asking me personality/experience questions and the other part administering programming tests. Even though I was on site, all of the engineering interviews were over Google Hangouts with off-site engineers.

After all of that I was not offered a position. The primary reason given was that I was not able to complete one of the tests an interviewer gave me before my time with her was up and that I got some questions wrong. The thing is, we talked for almost the entire time, and I was only given 5-10 minutes to complete a pretty complicated multi part HTML/CSS test. After seeing the size of the test and instructions I admit I panicked a little bit. I had to read the instructions multiple times to understand what it was asking, and by the time I was even starting we were out of time. The interviewer said not to worry about it, and that I could finish it at home. Working on it at home, I probably spent a couple hours on it and got it to her that same night. I don't think even the most expert HTML/CSS guy could have finished it in the initial time allotted. So to have my failure to complete the test in the time allotted cited as a reason I was not hired was pretty frustrating, especially when the interviewer told me I could finish at home.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple HTML/CSS tests. Be able to answer very technical questions about HTML/CSS minutia as well as code HTML/CSS & JavaScript on the spot. Multiple JavaScript DOM manipulation & algorithmic tests.   Answer Question

Junior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Backcountry.com.

I had a quick phone interview, which was followed by an office interview. My interview lasted almost 5 hrs. Rather than have one large group interview they break it up and do a series of individual interviews. I would recommend getting ready for a long day, but with really great people.

Interview Questions
    • My position was more technology based. So the technology questions were a bit intimidating. For the most part really great inverview.   Answer Question
    It lasted a couple of weeks, but was fine.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Backcountry.com.

Interview process can be lengthy. Be patient, active, but not pushy. Do a little homework and get to know the voice backcountry uses across its sites before you do a writing test. Know your stuff and don't try to BS. You don' thave to be an expert on everything, but be ready to show off the areas where you really know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • This really depends on your background and writing style. Show your writing range.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at Backcountry.com.

The interview process was rather long and consisted of an initial interview with HR regarding salary and basic qualifications, next was a phone interview with two of the hiring managers, and the last interview was an on site interview that lasted close to two hours meeting with a multitude of different departments and people whom I would work closely with. The interview seemed to go really well, and the people I some wi only gave positive feedback. I ended up getting a declining email shortly after my on site interview, the only thing I think that hindered me from the position is that they seemed a bit concerned with my lack of office experience and extensive retail background.

Interview Questions
    • Just asked to explain how I would view the customer base they were after and how my retail management experience related to success in a buying role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Backcountry.com.

Don't wear a suit! Backcountry lets you know to dress as casually as you feel comfortable for the interview... and they mean it. You will likely be interviewed by people in casual attire such as jeans, shorts, cycling bibs, ski pants, etc. depending on the time of year.
    They are as interested in ensuring you are a cultural fit for the company as they are about determining if you are a skills fit for the position you are applying for. Be authentic and be yourself.
    Dependent upon which team you are interviewing with, expect a phone interview for initial screening then Skype if you are out of town followed by at least one day of face to face interviews with the team you will be working with and/or reporting to or working cross functionally with. They are spending time with you to determine if you are a great match.

Interview Questions
    • What are you passionate about? It is hard to sometimes tell what employers are looking for with questions like this - but they really want to know at Backcountry. How do your passions align with their mission and values. Would you be happy at Backcountry and would they be happy having you there? Are you passionate about your job and extracurricular activities? Let them know.   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Backcountry.com in June 2013.

I had two separate interviews, both were short but very in-depth. Very good communication once selected as a candidate, excellent communication through the offer and acceptance process. I met several key employees, the culture is typical for an outdoor brand; laid back, young and enthusiastic. There are many bright and active people at Backcountry, that's evident from the start.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a challenge you've overcome with unconventional tactics?   Answer Question
    There was some room for negotiation but the offer was very good and there was no need to push back.

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Backcountry.com in April 2013.

I was contacted by a backcountry recruiter and asked to apply for a position as a Sr. UX Designer (BTW this title carries no meaning, because all of their UX designers are designated as "Sr."). After going through a phone screening I was invited to HQ for a day-long interview. I was asked to complete a "Homework Assignment", a sample UX project that I was asked to present on the day of the interview. I spent some late nights putting it together and I was excited about the company and the interview. And then...

I showed up 15 min early for the interview, as instructed in the orientation documents. After waiting with the receptionist for 45 minutes, someone finally showed up to greet me. Apparently the recruiter was home sick. Ok, whatever. But 45 minutes? Really? The UX team was nice enough, and I had the chance to meet with a researcher and Product Owner. They all asked the same canned questions: What's your process? How do you work with others? Etc. It was a surprisingly stifling atmosphere, and by lunch, I could tell that these people didn't really like their jobs. It was a pretty stark contrast to the "we play all day" narrative on the jobs section of the backcountry.com website.

Anyways, after following up with the recruiter (the one who was sick) and waiting for over a week to get any response, I got an email saying that I "hadn't made the list of finalists", or something to that effect. I was VERY surprised that they had asked me to come in for a day-long interview and complete a project/presentation when I wasn't even a finalist. To top it all off, I asked for some feedback on the interview and have not yet received a response.

Overall the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't recommend interviewing (or working) there.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Backcountry.com in September 2012.

I had 2 phone interviews prior to being invited on site. Backcountry coordinated the travel and accommodation. My first interview was face to face with one member of HR with another joining us via Skype at the Costa Rica office. I was asked to prep a short presentation prior to the interview. I was given a tour and met a few employees I would have heavy interaction with. I met one on one with the CTO for a 45min interview with extremely focused questions and details diving in for specific process, successes, failures etc... It included a mix of dialogue and white boarding.

Interview Questions
    • I was tasked to bring in short presentation discussing the direction I would take the function I was filling.   Answer Question

Worked for Backcountry.com? Contribute to the Community!