Backstop Solutions

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.6

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Backstop Solutions.

I applied for the position on LinkedIn. After a couple of weeks I emailed HR from the website and got a response a week or so later.

The first interview was with someone in the position. The conversation was mostly about my experiences and how they might match up with the position. Shortly after the first call, I was emailed by HR to schedule an on-site interview for the next day. The in-person interview consisted of three 30 min conversations with a few of the people I would be working directly with. The questions were mostly about my experiences and working style (there was one small case, but pretty high level). During these conversations, it became pretty clear to me (and probably them) that this position was not a great fit, but everyone was super nice and friendly, they answered my questions and the atmosphere was good.

The significant drawback to the process was communication from HR. HR took far too long to respond to questions and was brisk in response. My onsite interview was scheduled the night before (which was difficult because I have a full time job and it required a few hours in the middle of the day) with no acknowledgment of the difficult timing. Additionally, the interview was scheduled at a time when I could not speak to my most relevant direct report, which was confusing and frustrating. Why bring me in on such short notice if I cannot speak to one of the most relevant people involved? If the position had been a better fit this would have been a significant disadvantage to my candidacy. After the on-site interview, I did not hear back from HR for a month, despite weekly emails as to the status of my application (I even acknowledged that I did not need a decision but merely wanted to remain in contact during the process). It was not until I finally reached out to one of the people I interviewed with that that I got a form rejection letter from my HR contact. I felt that this was fairly insulting as a candidate that visited the office and significantly clouded an otherwise awesome company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral and work style questions trying to determine if I was a good fit for the position and for the company.   Answer Question

Corporate Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Backstop Solutions in July 2014.

The interview had 3 parts. I had two 30 minute phone interviews and then a 2 hour in-person interview. During my in-person interview I met with 5 employees individually- the department manager, 3 members of the team and 1 member of the support team. Everyone asked me relevant questions and the interviews were very conversational. I had all my questions answered and when I left I felt like I had a clear understanding of the position. The Backstop team explained that they are very collaborative and they wanted me to meet the people I would potentially be working with daily. Everyone I spoke with was professional and insightful. They all told me the positives and challenges of the position so I could make a decision that was best for me.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe a time I had to build an ad hoc report in Excel. I described what functionality I used and why.   Answer Question
    I didn’t negotiate because I was happy with the offer. The offer was in line with what other companies are paying.

Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Backstop Solutions.

I had a 30-minute screener call with one of the employees. The conversation was OK. All of the questions were easy (i.e. tell me about this on your resume, tell me about that), but I don't think the ad that was posted jibed with the phone screener's questions. It seemed like what he was asking me was different from the job I applied for. He started describing the position, and it definitely did not fit the job post I saw on the company's site. The HR person who helped set up the call seemed to be lacking in punctuality. It's probably a good place to work, but something seemed off with this experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Backstop Solutions.

Process began with a short interview at a career-related event. The interview consisted of some basic written problems and then several rounds of pair programming in Java with current employees, implementing a class with unit tests. Some of the interviewers did not seem confident in their own Java skills and stated they primarily used other languages in their positions.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Backstop Solutions in November 2011.

In the ITA Fall Challenge, I was scheduled for a 20-minute interview with two software engineers from Backstop Solutions. They were very nice, very passionate, and very knowledgeable about the company. It was a "get to know the company" interview as well as a "tell me about yourself" interview. It's a small company and they are looking for someone that knows Java.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about some of the projects that you developed in Java.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Backstop Solutions in October 2010.

Applied online, got an email to schedule a telephonic interview.
    Telephonic interview consisted on data structures and Java based question.
    Got a reply after 3 days that I have not been selected for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about project management and its model.   Answer Question

Client Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Backstop Solutions in April 2010.

Very in depth interview process. Lots of different sections focused on different parts of your resume. Be prepared to spend a few hours here, but it's not bad. All of the folks are friendly and really just want to make sure you aren't a jerk, and that you can do everything your resume says you can do. If you meet with the president of the company (seriously!) then your odds are pretty good of getting the job.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions are in different areas. Technical ability, problem solving, people skills, resume chat. There are literally too many questions to remember.   Answer Question
    I was dumb and didn't negotiate. The salary wasn't spectacular, but the benefits were terrific, and I didn't want to lose out on those by trying to negotiate a higher salary. Overall, I think the original offer was fair anyways (for a kid straight out of college).

Java Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Backstop Solutions in January 2010.

I simply sent an email to the contact provided to me by my university. It was an interview, very casual with 2 of the representatives from their office. A lot of emphasis was placed on experience with J2EE using Stripes, Struts and Spring. Basic OO questions were asked as well as some little algorithm design and java specific detailed syntax questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between .equals and ==?   View Answer

Quality Assurance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Backstop Solutions in September 2009.

The phone screen process is quite simple if you know your stuff. What matters is what happens when you get in the door.

The interview is very intense in that it is very challenge-focused. None of these challenges are "logic puzzles." Rather these are situations presented in the form of challenges that you have to work through as a candidate.

If you do well on this, the good news is that you will know very quickly whether an offer is going to be made to you.

Interview Questions
    • Using a popular board game, design an object-oriented representation of the game.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate but the offer was very fair in terms of market value and I had no trouble accepting.

Senior Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Backstop Solutions in October 2014.

I applied for the position after a recruitment agency mentioned that I am a fit for the senior sales position. The process started 8 weeks ago. They arranged a 1:1 interview a week later. The interview was with the manager of the unit. The conversation was about my sales experiences. I also presented a sales strategy for the region.
    Shortly after, I was emailed a scientology style online tutorial by HR. The personality test was very basic and would fit a person with junior or no sales experience at all.
    The recruitment agency then came back, telling me that the manager I spoke to was no longer a relevant person and HR will follow up. The communication by HR was non-existent. No response to questions about the process.
    My posting hopefully helps future senior sales people not to fall into the same trap. Unfortunately, if you are looking for a sales driven culture, this is not the right fit. If you are looking for a culture of meditation rooms and complacency, this maybe is the perfect employer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions in the online tutorial were very basic and rather fit a person with no sales experience at all.   Answer Question