Backstop Solutions Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2015

2.8

Software Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Aside from applying, this position requires a 90-minute skills assessment test, a phone interview (wherein you must demonstrate your client support skills, in addition to the typical questions regarding your resume), and a 3-stage interview: 1-on-1 (then if you pass that) a 2-person interview, (then if you pass that), a final interview with the VP. I made it all the way to the 2-person interview, which went well. However, they then explained that, while the interviews are all conducted in one day, HR had made an error, and the VP was in a meetings all day. So HR would contact me to set up the final interview with the VP. Instead, I was sent a rejection two days later. The first in-person interview conducted by the same person who conducted my phone interview. Over the phone, he told me that I was exactly what they were looking for. Then in the interview, he had a total flip. He was rather unpleasant. Still, he passed me on to the 2nd stage, which went great. So, I speculate that if I had gotten an opportunity to speak with the VP, I'd have gotten the job. Thanks HR!

Interview Questions

• What is it about alternative investment management that interests you?   Answer Question

Product Owner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions.

Interview

No Thrills - spent half a day meeting people from different departments. Each had their own list of questions. Can't say the questions were extremely hard, but some of them are tricky as you don't know what the interviewer expects to hear.

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was 3 steps: 1) A skills assessment, which included writing samples of email responses to support questions as well as some general logic/reasoning questions. The hardest part of this was breaking down an interest equation for a fictional customer to prove to them that the calculation was correct (the general equation was provided, but you had to apply it to their account.) 2) A phone interview with a department manager. This was pretty standard and lasted about 30 minutes. One of the steps was role-playing a step by step how to on a computer to test your ability to lead someone through troubleshooting steps. 3) An in person interview. I met with 2 team managers, a tier 2 support rep, and the VP of Client Services. The overall process was about 2 hours and none of the questions were unexpected. I think because of the prior steps at this point they know you're competent and are just trying to get to know you as a person and make sure you're a good fit with the team. I was told the support team is a very tight-knit group, and I imagine making sure they maintain that dynamic is very important. This process was kind of exhausting (I came in at the end of my workday) but I really appreciated that they thoroughly vetted me as a fit for their company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current position? What experience do you have with SaaS (Software as a Service)? How do you deliver bad news to a client?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions.

Interview

I applied for the position on LinkedIn. After a couple of weeks I emailed HR from the website and got a response a week or so later. The first interview was with someone in the position. The conversation was mostly about my experiences and how they might match up with the position. Shortly after the first call, I was emailed by HR to schedule an on-site interview for the next day. The in-person interview consisted of three 30 min conversations with a few of the people I would be working directly with. The questions were mostly about my experiences and working style (there was one small case, but pretty high level). During these conversations, it became pretty clear to me (and probably them) that this position was not a great fit, but everyone was super nice and friendly, they answered my questions and the atmosphere was good. The significant drawback to the process was communication from HR. HR took far too long to respond to questions and was brisk in response. My onsite interview was scheduled the night before (which was difficult because I have a full time job and it required a few hours in the middle of the day) with no acknowledgment of the difficult timing. Additionally, the interview was scheduled at a time when I could not speak to my most relevant direct report, which was confusing and frustrating. Why bring me in on such short notice if I cannot speak to one of the most relevant people involved? If the position had been a better fit this would have been a significant disadvantage to my candidacy. After the on-site interview, I did not hear back from HR for a month, despite weekly emails as to the status of my application (I even acknowledged that I did not need a decision but merely wanted to remain in contact during the process). It was not until I finally reached out to one of the people I interviewed with that that I got a form rejection letter from my HR contact. I felt that this was fairly insulting as a candidate that visited the office and significantly clouded an otherwise awesome company.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and work style questions trying to determine if I was a good fit for the position and for the company.   Answer Question

Corporate Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions in July 2014.

Interview

The interview had 3 parts. I had two 30 minute phone interviews and then a 2 hour in-person interview. During my in-person interview I met with 5 employees individually- the department manager, 3 members of the team and 1 member of the support team. Everyone asked me relevant questions and the interviews were very conversational. I had all my questions answered and when I left I felt like I had a clear understanding of the position. The Backstop team explained that they are very collaborative and they wanted me to meet the people I would potentially be working with daily. Everyone I spoke with was professional and insightful. They all told me the positives and challenges of the position so I could make a decision that was best for me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe a time I had to build an ad hoc report in Excel. I described what functionality I used and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn’t negotiate because I was happy with the offer. The offer was in line with what other companies are paying.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions.

Interview

I had a 30-minute screener call with one of the employees. The conversation was OK. All of the questions were easy (i.e. tell me about this on your resume, tell me about that), but I don't think the ad that was posted jibed with the phone screener's questions. It seemed like what he was asking me was different from the job I applied for. He started describing the position, and it definitely did not fit the job post I saw on the company's site. The HR person who helped set up the call seemed to be lacking in punctuality. It's probably a good place to work, but something seemed off with this experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions.

Interview

Process began with a short interview at a career-related event. The interview consisted of some basic written problems and then several rounds of pair programming in Java with current employees, implementing a class with unit tests. Some of the interviewers did not seem confident in their own Java skills and stated they primarily used other languages in their positions.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

In the ITA Fall Challenge, I was scheduled for a 20-minute interview with two software engineers from Backstop Solutions. They were very nice, very passionate, and very knowledgeable about the company. It was a "get to know the company" interview as well as a "tell me about yourself" interview. It's a small company and they are looking for someone that knows Java.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some of the projects that you developed in Java.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online, got an email to schedule a telephonic interview. Telephonic interview consisted on data structures and Java based question. Got a reply after 3 days that I have not been selected for the next round.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about project management and its model.   Answer Question

Client Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL) in April 2010.

Interview

Very in depth interview process. Lots of different sections focused on different parts of your resume. Be prepared to spend a few hours here, but it's not bad. All of the folks are friendly and really just want to make sure you aren't a jerk, and that you can do everything your resume says you can do. If you meet with the president of the company (seriously!) then your odds are pretty good of getting the job.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions are in different areas. Technical ability, problem solving, people skills, resume chat. There are literally too many questions to remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was dumb and didn't negotiate. The salary wasn't spectacular, but the benefits were terrific, and I didn't want to lose out on those by trying to negotiate a higher salary. Overall, I think the original offer was fair anyways (for a kid straight out of college).