Bain Capital Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Apr 9, 2015

3.2

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA).

Interview

Interviewed in their office in the John Hancock Tower. Interviewed with 2 different people, the Direct Manager of the sector and the VP of that sector. Mostly asked about experiences and situational questions rather than technical questions. This was only the first interview so I assume that the technical finance questions would be asked in the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Give a situation where you had to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize projects.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA).

Interview

Second interview was coordinated a month after the first so the timing is dependent on finding the right candidate.

Interview Questions

• General questions were answered and nothing out of the typical administrative questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Worked with a recruiter so little negotiation was done.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in April 2013.

Interview

20 minute phone screen followed by a 4 round in person interview at their Boston Office at the John Hancock Tower. The time distance between phone and in person interview was 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Nothing as they were all behavioral/fit type questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Very disappointed interview with them. Arrogant people, outdated technology, poor performance computer. I was approached by agent, and the phone screen run so well that they asked for onsite interview. I found out that it would take me one day off going Boston Backbay to take one hour computer based test, then go home and listen to the next step. I was a contractor and couldn't afford to lose one day pay with nothing. I insisted test and interview on the same day, but agent couldn't arrange this. I rejected the interview and gave up the opportunity. Then person from Bain Capital who interviewed me over the phone directly contacted me and convinced me that it was worthy to take a try. Then, he phoned me again and told me his managers agree to break the rule and let me take the test and then proceed to interview if the test result is positive.
     Half hour before I head to Bain Capital for interview, I received the sample code exam question from my agent. Apparently, they changed the game plan, instead of computer based questions, they would test by programming skill. It would be fair game anyway. When I headed to their office, I waited about 10 minutes and finally a person came and brought me several floors down. He gave me notebook computer that run a VM which is very slow (sticky mouse movement, and very slow response from key hit) that greatly reduced my productivity. At that time, Visual Studio 2012 had released, but the IDE on the VM was still Visual Studio 2008. The project was ASP.NET webform with ADO.NET data access, but my interests had shifted to ASP.NET MVC. There is no internet for helper, local help system missing the ADO.NET document. With all these curbs, I managed finished merely more than half of the work in 50 minutes. They did take credit of the slow computer, so I ended up with wasting my day for nothing.

Interview Questions

• The skeleton project was itself not difficult if you have been doing WebForms and ADO.NET.
      They expect you found the tricks they designed, trouble shoot, and make the program run.

Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Sankaty Advisers Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied on campus via our university's internship listing system, and got an interview. I believe they look for past investing or consulting experience and GPA. Interview was an investment case with math involved, very open ended. Interviewer gives you an industry and asks you to think about whether it's attractive to make an investment in the industry. Case preparation a la consulting case interviews are very helpful. Nice people, great office at the top of the John Hancock.

Interview Questions

• Business case involving an industry, think about all of the standard consulting stuff (revenue, costs, capital, supply/demand, market).   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

Case-based interview system. Two interviews in first round, 6 interviews in second round. Each interview is about 30 minutes. All of them are case interviews (e.g., We have a business that does X, Y, Z. How would you grow revenues?) Focus is on whether recommended action would produced suitable ROI - and therefore is it a good action / investment?

Interview Questions

• You operate a trucking company that ships supplies between Las Vegas and Los Angles. How would you think about growing revenues?   1 Answer
    • You lease a shreding truck that shreds confidential documents for companies on site. How would you think about expansion opportunities for this business?   Answer Question

Junior Portfolio Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview was very straightforward. The 1st day was two 1-on-1 interviews: one was a relatively easy case interview and the other was data analysis (i.e. here's a list of bonds and their statistics, tell us what you infer from this and how would you go about structuring a portfolio from these and why?). I passed this and then had at least 5 more rounds, all single interviews, one-on-one with managing directors. They did this to accomodate my own work schedule which was very nice of them. Overall, I was very impressed with them. I liked that they were willing to overlook my slight lack of intimacy with credit markets and see my raw talent and interest in the field. All of the MD interviews were completely about fit, interest in what they do, behavioral questions, etc.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the oridnary. The one data question is described above. The interviews were almost completely behavioral.   Answer Question

I did receive an offer but decided the role wasn't the best for me. I declined in favor of a top quant finance masters, feeling that the more quantitative route was a better fit for me.

Legal Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in April 2011.

Interview

Very straightforward process with smart people. Process was a mix of testing intelligence and making sure that you were someone who fit in the team. After about 3 rounds of coming back, an honest and frank back and forth with the interview team made me realize it was not the right job for me. Very appreciative of the openness/frankness of the legal team.

Sankaty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in March 2011.

Interview

Bain Capital (Sankaty) employed case interviews similar to those used by consulting firms. More focus on entrepreneurial thought than consulting interviews. 5 cases, half hour each. 4 were case focuses with other investors, and one was behavioral with the Human Resources person. Overall case problems were similar with slightly harder math than Big 3 consulting firms.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain Capital (Boston, MA) in December 2010.

Interview

Ask basic and advanced .NET development and Service questions on phone. 1on1 questions were technical with other developers, business with manager and client reps.

Interview Questions

• Describe MVC pattern and why it is used?   1 Answer

Found job closer to home.