Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern Interview Questions

3.6

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

interview process consists of 30 percent fit and 70 percent case questions. Bain is known to provide graphs and charts during their interviews which is unique from the other firms. Final round is held with directors and partners and it is unclear whether you'll get a case or fit or both.

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

2 on campus interviews, then 2 interviews at the city you are applying for. All case style

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied to an overseas office. I was interviewing at the SF office and it was a pleasant experience. All in all, I did 2 x 30 minute case interviews with two consultants. Both interviews started off with one or two quick questions about my background and interests and we then proceeded to the case.

Both consultants were very down-to-earth and enthusiastic and were more than willing to help me out when I stumbled.

Interview Questions
    • They were standard consulting cases but had tricky business situations. Make sure to understand break-even calculations, basic supply-demand in addition to general business frameworks.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

They were very helpful and courteous throughout the interview process. They were incredibly nice and fun to chat with. The interviews were actually a lot of fun, despite not having much case experience. I walked away from the interviews getting a great feel for Bain's legendary culture that sets it apart from BCG and McKinsey

Interview Questions
    • It's hard to explain in detail, but in essence, during the final round, I was asked to make a judgement call about the major cause of a problem. The interviewer asked me twice if I would like to change my mind and pick the other option. I didn't budge from my decision, and it turned out that in the actual case the reason I picked turned out to be the underlying cause of the profitability problem. The key takeaway is that you should seriously consider the merits of the alternatives a case interviewer suggests to you, but never change your answer simply because you get the impression that the interviewer wants you to.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2013.

Bain was very friendly and professional throughout the application process. Went to on-campus info session and coffee chat before submitting my resume and cover letter. After I was notified of the first-round interview, I prepared using typical casing resources. The first round was 2 half-hour interviews, both half-fit and half-case. The fit was pretty basic and the cases were easier than those in competitors' first round interviews — basic strategy and market sizing. Didn't get the position, but not too surprised as I never felt like much of a personality fit with the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2012.

Office in New York in incredible (overlooking Times Square).
    Had two 30 minute cases.
    Thought I did well, but was told I couldn't continue with the process and to reapply for the real position.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a non-conventional break-even situation.
      I began to approach it as one usually would (setting revenues equal to costs), but realized that this was a cost-cost breakeven. I figured it out quickly but that may have been what broke me.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2010.

There were 2 back to back case interviews, both are 30mins long. The first was regarding starting a milking operation in a small city and the second was a private equity acquisition evaluation.

The interviewers were very nice but because of limited time, there were no personal questions. They give you lots of hints on how to progress and often remind you when you make a mistake (but its best that you don't make any)

Interview Questions
    • How do you think we should proceed on evaluating a potential acquisition target?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2007.

Bain is known for their relaxed and collegial atmosphere (compared with, say, McKinsey or BCG). My experience was no different. About eight college students (mostly rising juniors/seniors) were scheduled for my time slot. Each interviewee had to do two case interviews in the first round. If selected, the final round had three case interviews. When I applied, competition was tough. Around 36 people were interviewing for four positions. However, everybody at Bain, from the HR manager to the senior consultants were all a pleasure to deal with.

Interview Questions
    • The first case I received was about a fast food chain (think McDonald's) competing with an established coffee franchise (think Starbucks) and what an effective strategy might be to do this.   Answer Question
    • The second case was about a large research hospital trying to cut costs and the various strategies that they should try.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in November 2013.

The process was simple. 3 rounds with 2,2 and one interview. At each round, the seniority of interviewers is increasing. It is easy to plan an interview and the interviewers answer all questions. The cases were not too difficult in comparison with BCG for instance. Most of the cases are based on profit(cost-revenue) and growth(competitive environment). In the first round there are some figures, afterwards less and they more look at your insight and the way you crack the case. If they speak the same mother tongue as you they will do the interview in this language.

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Sent and email, was invited to send my cv + cover letter, was invited to an interview. Interview day: three interviews in the morning, all of them ±20 minutes CV discussion and ±30 minutes case. Cases were mostly profit calculations, but also market entry (discussing what the customer profile for a new entrant would be). Afterwards: second round in the afternoon, two interviews with partners. One included a case, the other one was a pleasant chat.

Interview Questions
    • A new entrant wants to bid on the rights for live premier league football. How much should they bid?   View Answer