Bain & Company

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – interview process consists of 30 percent fit and 70 percent case questions. Bain is known to provide graphs and charts during their interviews which is unique from the other firms. Final round is held with directors and partners and it is unclear whether you'll get a case or fit or both.

Interview Question – What is your favorite donut?   View Answer

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – 2 on campus interviews, then 2 interviews at the city you are applying for. All case style

Interview Question – I want to open a taco shop in australia, should I?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Applied to an overseas office. I was interviewing at the SF office and it was a pleasant experience. All in all, I did 2 x 30 minute case interviews with two consultants. Both interviews started off with one or two quick questions about my background and interests and we then proceeded to the case.

Both consultants were very down-to-earth and enthusiastic and were more than willing to help me out when I stumbled.

Interview Question – They were standard consulting cases but had tricky business situations. Make sure to understand break-even calculations, basic supply-demand in addition to general business frameworks.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – They were very helpful and courteous throughout the interview process. They were incredibly nice and fun to chat with. The interviews were actually a lot of fun, despite not having much case experience. I walked away from the interviews getting a great feel for Bain's legendary culture that sets it apart from BCG and McKinsey

Interview Question – It's hard to explain in detail, but in essence, during the final round, I was asked to make a judgement call about the major cause of a problem. The interviewer asked me twice if I would like to change my mind and pick the other option. I didn't budge from my decision, and it turned out that in the actual case the reason I picked turned out to be the underlying cause of the profitability problem. The key takeaway is that you should seriously consider the merits of the alternatives a case interviewer suggests to you, but never change your answer simply because you get the impression that the interviewer wants you to.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2013.

Interview Details – Bain was very friendly and professional throughout the application process. Went to on-campus info session and coffee chat before submitting my resume and cover letter. After I was notified of the first-round interview, I prepared using typical casing resources. The first round was 2 half-hour interviews, both half-fit and half-case. The fit was pretty basic and the cases were easier than those in competitors' first round interviews — basic strategy and market sizing. Didn't get the position, but not too surprised as I never felt like much of a personality fit with the company.

Interview Question – Detailed market sizing case   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2012.

Interview Details – Office in New York in incredible (overlooking Times Square).
Had two 30 minute cases.
Thought I did well, but was told I couldn't continue with the process and to reapply for the real position.

Interview Question – I was given a non-conventional break-even situation.
I began to approach it as one usually would (setting revenues equal to costs), but realized that this was a cost-cost breakeven. I figured it out quickly but that may have been what broke me.
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2010.

Interview Details – There were 2 back to back case interviews, both are 30mins long. The first was regarding starting a milking operation in a small city and the second was a private equity acquisition evaluation.

The interviewers were very nice but because of limited time, there were no personal questions. They give you lots of hints on how to progress and often remind you when you make a mistake (but its best that you don't make any)

Interview Question – How do you think we should proceed on evaluating a potential acquisition target?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2007.

Interview Details – Bain is known for their relaxed and collegial atmosphere (compared with, say, McKinsey or BCG). My experience was no different. About eight college students (mostly rising juniors/seniors) were scheduled for my time slot. Each interviewee had to do two case interviews in the first round. If selected, the final round had three case interviews. When I applied, competition was tough. Around 36 people were interviewing for four positions. However, everybody at Bain, from the HR manager to the senior consultants were all a pleasure to deal with.

Interview Questions

• The first case I received was about a fast food chain (think McDonald's) competing with an established coffee franchise (think Starbucks) and what an effective strategy might be to do this.   Answer Question
  • The second case was about a large research hospital trying to cut costs and the various strategies that they should try.   Answer Question

Munich (Germany)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through an employee who forwarded my stuff to HR. Received a call two weeks later that I'll be invited to their assessment day in Munich.

During that day I got 3 case study interviews with 3 different interviewers and one group case to analyze and present in front of Bain consultants.

Interview Question – Imagine a machine that is able to produce all the milk that a Starbucks needs worldwide on an average day just by the right number of cows walking through this machine. How many Starbucks are there worldwide? How many cows would I need? How fast do they need to get through it?   View Answer

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in November 2013.

Interview Details – The process was simple. 3 rounds with 2,2 and one interview. At each round, the seniority of interviewers is increasing. It is easy to plan an interview and the interviewers answer all questions. The cases were not too difficult in comparison with BCG for instance. Most of the cases are based on profit(cost-revenue) and growth(competitive environment). In the first round there are some figures, afterwards less and they more look at your insight and the way you crack the case. If they speak the same mother tongue as you they will do the interview in this language.

Interview Question – Give me an example of failure in your life   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.