Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The interview was fairly standard. It started off with about 15 minutes of introductions and hellos and then proceeded to go into details regarding a case. The questions were very straight forward and fair however the case itself was quite challenging. I would definitely recommend prepping a lot beforehand to be prepared to give clear and concise answers effectively.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain and why consulting? (I was switching from another unrelated field)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

First round has two 30-minute interviews, including self-introduction and a case. Very typical Bain style--straightforward and has market sizing component. Both interviewers are very nice and guided me through problem solving. They also made comment like "that is correct" after I did the calculation. Final round has two 45-minute interviews, with more behavior and fit questions as well as a more complicated case.

Interview Questions

• Qualitative question is hard to answer on the spot. They expect you to brainstorm some ideas very quickly.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

applied through campus recruiting. they give a great presentation and sell you on their great culture right away. However it is clear in the first round interview you are judged much more on your case performance than behavioral. I have been told by peers who made it to the second round that there is a much more extensive behavioral component to the interview then, but i would suggest focusing heavily on case prep if you do make it to the first round.

Interview Questions

• How many hot dogs are sold at NFL football games in a given year.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

2 case interview in the first round, 45 minutes each. Cases were not very difficult, some calculation, both were about some basic financial maths. First a brief self-introduction and then case. The whole process was very conversational and interviewers were friendly. The cases were printed on some paper so you need to somehow read the case which is a little bit different from other consulting firms.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

I applied through my school's on campus recruiting website and was notified of my interview a few days letter. I am not sure how it is at most schools, but at my university (Ivy), the only way to get a consulting interview, especially at a Big 3, is to apply through the school. I had two 20 minute case interviews, the last two minutes of which were dedicated to ask questions. No behavioral questions were asked. Interviewers were really only interested in if I could do the case well, which is standard for many of the top consulting groups.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2015.

Interview

The process began with a resume drop. I was then invited for a first round interview on campus. Prior to the interview there was a case workshop and a current Associate Consultant gave me a practice case. The first round consisted of 2 30 minute interviews. Nearly all the time was spent on the cases, with only a few minutes to ask questions. Was invited to the office for a second round interview, which consisted of 4 30 minute interviews. 3 of these interviews were cases similar to those in the first round, and the 4th interview was behavioral.

Application

Interview

On campus recruiting, first round two 30 minutes back to back case interviews with case team leaders, typical Bain style cases with numbers and graphs. The problem statement/ case description was very clear, but the information provided during the analysis process require extra time to comprehend. The key to success is to understand the interviewer's guidance

Interview Questions

• Two cases with lots of graph and numbers, require quick and accurate calculation   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Day 1 on campus, 2 case/behavioral interviews. Required to fill out office location but when put 50/50 for two cities was told to pick one. Turns out they only have you interview for your highest priority city.

Day 2 (next day when advanced to final rounds) in hotel near campus, 3 case/behavioral interviews.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

On campus recruiting. First round and then final round interview. Both rounds were quite similar except first round had more market sizing. Second round one case had a chart.

Interview Questions

• Difficult private equity case without much information to work with.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Contacted for an interview after submitting an application via university recruiting. Great interview prep resources online and with a session at their office. First round interview consisted of 2 back-to-back case interviews, no experience questions were asked. One case was a little softer than the other in terms of quant/math questions, but both had those aspects to them.

Interview Questions

• Both cases had tricky aspects to their quant questions.   Answer Question