Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.8

147 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied after attending the on campus info-session, and received a first round after a week or so. Before the interview, there was a case workshop to help prepare you for the interview. First round consisted of 2 back to back case interviews, 45 minutes each. There were no behavior component for either of my interviews, and the cases were rather typical. The interviewers were very helpful, and I would say that it was a more interviewer led interview (compared to other management consulting firms' interviewee led interview style).

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

I gave my resume at a career fair. First interview was 2 cases with some behavioral mixed in. One case was strictly quantitative and the other was half quantitative, half creativity (ideas about the business). Nothing terribly hard. Very high standards for them nonetheless. They are looking for more than the typical answers. More depth is needed. I didn't do well enough in that area to advance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

I networked with a couple of people at Bain and got the interview through an employee referral. Since I applied through my school, however, I interviewed at the same time as many other candidates in my school, so I did not participate in the off-cycle hiring process, which is supposedly harder.

When I arrived in the office, I received a folder with the backgrounds of the consultants that would interview me. It's important to read through them as you'll know who you'd be approaching. Also, both my interviewers gave me cases that they had worked on.

The first round consisted of two 30-min one-on-one case interviews in the office. We started with a few typical fit questions like "Why Bain, why consulting, tell me about this experience on your resume, why make the transition from your background (life sciences) to consulting, etc."

Then we moved on to the case. The first one was about non-profit work that the consultant had done and would not fit any frameworks. It started with an estimation question and was followed by some qualitative questions. I think I did hit on all important points and built a great rapport with the interviewer, who was a young AC and pretty cool.

The second interview was with a more senior consultant and started with similar fit questions. He asked me about my office choices. Then we worked on a case study about a pet food supplier in which the consultant had been involved. It fit a profitability framework and I did not have much trouble finding the problem driving down revenues and profits. I did struggle with the last part of the case which was proposing a solution to the client. Since the consultant had actually worked on that project there was one specific solution he was looking for and it took me some time and some hints from him to get to it.

I interviewed today and haven't heard back yet obviously, but I'm not sure if I'll be invited to a second round given my hesitancy with the second case. I would bet that they're looking at outstanding performances as that the cases were not unusually hard. I hope that they account for the fact that the solution to the second case was not obvious after analysis and it was a bit more about guessing. Let's see.

Overall I had a great experience and a good impression about the company and the people working there. They were all very professional and friendly. I even got the opportunity to have a mock interview in the office the day before the actual interview without even asking for it.

Interview Questions
    • The first case about a non-profit did not follow any traditional structures. The first question was "Try to narrow down all the jobs that our target population could be eligible for".   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Received first round interview on campus. Two back to back cases, no graphs/charts, which I had been expecting. One vague case and then one straightforward private equity investment case. If you don't completely crush both cases, you will not get offered a 2nd round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Must be able to understand what they're asking for. Nothing stood out as unexpected though.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2014.

Initially I submitted online, and through the school. They emailed to notify us of first round interviews. The interviews consisted of 2 case interviews with 2 different people. Each case interview was fairly straightforward seeming, but it was important to look at the big picture, what the numbers mean. It was important not to get flustered when the interviewer pointed out mistakes or missed aspects.

Interview Questions
    • A case about implementation of ATMs showed that one option provided a higher profit, but it was important also to consider the risks involved with that option before recommending implementation.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

I was asked to explain why Google wanted to make a self-driving car. They were looking for more of my thought process than my actual answer, however, I think I stumbled at first as I was so prepared to do a case interview. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What is Google's motivation for the self-driving car?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

The entire process was very smooth and took about 2 weeks (not including waiting for the first interview). My first interview round was with a SAC and a Consultant at their office, and both interviews went well (except that the numbers on one case tripped me up). These interviews were both profit cases and were not especially difficult.

For the final round, I was flown out to Boston to interview with a Partner and Senior Manager. I had to do a market sizing case which also felt like a pressure test, because my interviewer questioned my every assumption. I had a profit case with the Senior Manager which required a rather unexpected recommendation.

The Partner who interviewed me called me the next morning to let me know that I received the offer.

In general, the process was great and you have the opportunity to receive detailed feedback at each round. In fact, I was surprised at the quality of the feedback given that the interviewers are so busy! So if you get the opportunity to interview, definitely request for feedback and it will help you to do well in future case interviews.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation as it is a standard contract.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bain & Company.

The interview process was interesting and intense too, I had 2 case interviews at my school and they tried to make it challenging and tested my math skills as well. I had to have a bit of creativity in the process.

Interview Questions
    • A question about healthcare revenue and customer growth threw me off. Practice your core math skills   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interviewed on campus and at a hotel - 2 rounds of 1-on-1 interviews that were fairly straightforward. 1 out of 4 interviews involved an exhibit (charts) and the rest did not. Found it useful just to talk through the problem as they were more interested in following the thought process. Messed up the math terribly but still made it to the second round. Also got market-sizing questions in almost all the interviews.