Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014

3.8

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Received first round interview on campus. Two back to back cases, no graphs/charts, which I had been expecting. One vague case and then one straightforward private equity investment case. If you don't completely crush both cases, you will not get offered a 2nd round interview.

Interview Questions
  • Must be able to understand what they're asking for. Nothing stood out as unexpected though.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

I was asked to explain why Google wanted to make a self-driving car. They were looking for more of my thought process than my actual answer, however, I think I stumbled at first as I was so prepared to do a case interview. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What is Google's motivation for the self-driving car?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

The entire process was very smooth and took about 2 weeks (not including waiting for the first interview). My first interview round was with a SAC and a Consultant at their office, and both interviews went well (except that the numbers on one case tripped me up). These interviews were both profit cases and were not especially difficult.

For the final round, I was flown out to Boston to interview with a Partner and Senior Manager. I had to do a market sizing case which also felt like a pressure test, because my interviewer questioned my every assumption. I had a profit case with the Senior Manager which required a rather unexpected recommendation.

The Partner who interviewed me called me the next morning to let me know that I received the offer.

In general, the process was great and you have the opportunity to receive detailed feedback at each round. In fact, I was surprised at the quality of the feedback given that the interviewers are so busy! So if you get the opportunity to interview, definitely request for feedback and it will help you to do well in future case interviews.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation as it is a standard contract.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Bain & Company.

The interview process was interesting and intense too, I had 2 case interviews at my school and they tried to make it challenging and tested my math skills as well. I had to have a bit of creativity in the process.

Interview Questions
    • A question about healthcare revenue and customer growth threw me off. Practice your core math skills   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interviewed on campus and at a hotel - 2 rounds of 1-on-1 interviews that were fairly straightforward. 1 out of 4 interviews involved an exhibit (charts) and the rest did not. Found it useful just to talk through the problem as they were more interested in following the thought process. Messed up the math terribly but still made it to the second round. Also got market-sizing questions in almost all the interviews.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Went through on campus recruiting. First round interviews were essentially seeing if candidates were able to do a case well. They interviewed 140 applicants for the first round at my school. I advanced to the final round. Cases were of slightly higher difficulty in the final round, but not beyond what you would expect in an interview for a MC firm.

Interview Questions
    • In cases be sure to think of expected value and how to apply it to the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Went through a college recruiting process — standard resume, cover letter. Did not network at all with Bain before beginning the interviews and did only a few cases as prep. First round was two 30-minute case interviews with a few fit questions and resume reviews; they were behind schedule and felt rushed. The two interviewers were both young Consultants, recent business school graduates, who were friendly and supportive even in a few moments I struggled with a case. One complimented my socks.

Somehow, I got through them, and the next day was invited to another office for a final-round interview a week later. Three candidates were there for that position; the night before, we had dinner and drinks with a collection of managers, consultants, and associates in the office. It was a relaxed, no-pressure environment, and I had ample opportunity to schmooze and relax with the assembled staff. (I actually thought it was a fun dinner.)

On the day of the final round interviews, I was given my interviewers' biographies (which I should have gotten at the dinner, had I not needed to leave early). I and the other two candidates filled out background-check information forms nervously before our interviews. The recruiters and receptionists were very friendly and a calming presence. The format was three 40-minute interviews; two were case interviews (one with a manager and one with a partner) and one was a fit interview with a consultant who worked as a mentor within the firm. I luckily had my cases first and then my fit interview, which let me ease into the day.

Both case interviews were challenging, but stimulating. They were not framework-friendly, and instead were driven by intellection and inference — it was crucial to apply Bain's hypothesis-driven approach to succeed. I stumbled in both, but kept up a great rapport with both the manager and partner. They were fun. The second interview was by far the most challenging; I was essentially made to ask questions and throw out dozens of hypotheses for a case which was not exactly solvable. The fit interview was very relaxed and friendly — some "why consulting," "what makes Bain stand out," "what other firms are you considering," and "what should we expect if we give you an offer" questions, but mostly a nice chat with a lovely person.

I flew back to school and received a Saturday afternoon phone call from the partner who had interviewed me, both to congratulate me on receiving an offer and to offer immediate feedback on my approach to the cases. He dissected my approach and gave me constructive feedback and areas to focus on in the future with Bain. Perhaps his most interesting note was that, while the two other candidates (from engineering and business undergraduate programs) breezed through the cases mathematically, I was less detail-oriented but more right-brained, and that the firm valued liberal-arts students like myself. (His exact words were "your left brain is teachable.") I was extended an offer in writing three days later.

Interview Questions
    • Being flat-out told "You're wrong. Why are you wrong?" in a case with a partner.   View Answer
    There really wasn't that much negotiation there — I didn't have any other offers and was happy with what I had been offered, so it was an easy sign. Perhaps I should have fought for it.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through on campus recruiting. The application included transcript, resume and cover letter. First round interviews were on campus and had 2 30-minute case interviews. Second round interviews were at the office and had 3 40-minute case interviews.

Associate Consultant Interview

Campus recruiting. Bain was very organized throughout the process. They even hosted a case interview workshop prior to first round interviews, which was helpful for someone who hadn't interviewed in a while. Practice your cases back to front, and get good estimates about market sizing. All of that came up in my interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Two relatively basic cases, one about semiconductor growth and one about the bottled tea market.   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!